Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread Part II - NORRIS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I wake up here, checking tonight's scores and stats:
Notice that Karlsson did not get most icetime In the team. You who watched the game, your take on that fact?

Played almost 90% of his shifts against Crosby. Also, it was by like 20 seconds, lol.

He also played 90% of his shifts vs McDavid. Even though Ceci finished with significantly more ice-time.

Karlsson is still significantly getting the more important minutes and imo he's just reserving him for when we do need him to play 28+

It's genius coaching. Really, Karlsson is still thriving like nobody's business and now he's adding a new element to his game in shutting down the opposition's best players frequently.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
On a Montreal radio station this morning.. They were talking about the World championship Canadian Roster. If you look, around 80% of those player are right now playing one of their worst season in career. Obviously, they are all important piece of their team and are playing a lot of minutes.

Which bring me to Karlsson, right now, he has a very good season. But he did play a lot of high intrensity hockey soon before the season even started. So when I see that Karlsson is playing less than Ceci, for some match, i feel it's a very good thing. We need Karlsson to stay as fresh as he can on the long run.

If he would continue to play 28 min a game every game, there is chance that he would get burned faster and we would not have a 100% Karlsson when we really need him.

So to me, it is a very good thing that Karlsson is not overused.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
On a Montreal radio station this morning.. They were talking about the World championship Canadian Roster. If you look, around 80% of those player are right now playing one of their worst season in career. Obviously, they are all important piece of their team and are playing a lot of minutes.

Which bring me to Karlsson, right now, he has a very good season. But he did play a lot of high intrensity hockey soon before the season even started. So when I see that Karlsson is playing less than Ceci, for some match, i feel it's a very good thing. We need Karlsson to stay as fresh as he can on the long run.

If he would continue to play 28 min a game every game, there is chance that he would get burned faster and we would not have a 100% Karlsson when we really need him.

So to me, it is a very good thing that Karlsson is not overused.

I think the limited ice time will help him in the long run but that means the Boro's of the world will get increase in their ice time as well.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Agree that Burns is the front runner but was funny the other night on the TSN panel hearing the same guys last year (The Doughty Quest) who said points and offense shouldn't be weighed to heavily in Norris voting raving this year about how far ahead Burns is of the rest of the field points wise/Norris favorite etc....the agenda we all assumed was going on last year was confirmed in my mind by simply watching these guys backpedal on everything they claimed just last season!

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Looks like Karlsson will play more minutes and provide more offense in away games and will play tougher minutes against better opponents, paying more attention to defense, in the home games. It's not about limiting his minutes, it's more about having him ready to go against Crosbys, Ovechkins and McDavids of this league.
I approve this strategy.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Agree that Burns is the front runner but was funny the other night on the TSN panel hearing the same guys last year (The Doughty Quest) who said points and offense shouldn't be weighed to heavily in Norris voting raving this year about how far ahead Burns is of the rest of the field points wise/Norris favorite etc....the agenda we all assumed was going on last year was confirmed in my mind by simply watching these guys backpedal on everything they claimed just last season!

It's insane how much more hype EK would get if he played in MTL/TO. Like, could you imagine. He'd be the second coming of Moses. It's too bad they treat him and Ottawa like the ******* step child, but that's how it will always be. I've gotten used to it. Might as well not build up an inferiority complex.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Yeah, it's patently ridiculous.

Someone was raving last night about how Burns was tied for 3rd in scoring so late into the season.

Karlsson was 2nd in overall scoring in February of last season.

But whatever, Drew Doughty and all that.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Yup.

Physicality/Size: check
Big shot: check
North American: check

Ripe to be overrated. The Bryan McCabe factor.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He is not Canadian that's why people like Cherry etc give him zero credit.

I agree with this, when was the last time you ever saw a Canadian player torn down in favour of a Swede or Russian?

EK is clearly the best defenceman in the NHL, but it's always Burns, Doughty, Webber, Keith - someone else who is better because EK they say is all smoke and mirrors and only gets points because he cheats. This all plays on the old Swedish stereotypes of them being soft and not showing up for the playoffs. It's not said, but implied.

Imagine if Carey Price was a Swede, he'd be getting torn down as not mentally tough, not ready for the grind of the NHL game, he cheats and in games where he can't cheat he gets exposed. Price has been bad for 2 months but not a single report of him not being the best, or another goalie playing as well or more deserving f the best goalie title. That's patriotism for you.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I agree with this, when was the last time you ever saw a Canadian player torn down in favour of a Swede or Russian?

EK is clearly the best defenceman in the NHL, but it's always Burns, Doughty, Webber, Keith - someone else who is better because EK they say is all smoke and mirrors and only gets points because he cheats. This all plays on the old Swedish stereotypes of them being soft and not showing up for the playoffs. It's not said, but implied.

Imagine if Carey Price was a Swede, he'd be getting torn down as not mentally tough, not ready for the grind of the NHL game, he cheats and in games where he can't cheat he gets exposed. Price has been bad for 2 months but not a single report of him not being the best, or another goalie playing as well or more deserving f the best goalie title. That's patriotism for you.

100%

All you have to do is watch Coaches Corner last week. In response to losing the WJC Don went on a rant about Canada being the best at everything.

Best goalie: Price
Best point scorer: McDavid
Best assists: Mcdavid
Best defensemen, should win the Norris: Burns
Best +/-: Toffoli
Best +/- for D: Campbell
Best FO's: Toews

It's not just the ridiculous categories he artibitraly chose. It's the need to pimp Canadian hockey players following a lose at a junior tournament. Just look at the way players who have won gold for Canada at the Olympics are viewed. Most are golified by the Canadian media.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
It's insane how much more hype EK would get if he played in MTL/TO. Like, could you imagine. He'd be the second coming of Moses. It's too bad they treat him and Ottawa like the ******* step child, but that's how it will always be. I've gotten used to it. Might as well not build up an inferiority complex.

Agreed that the small market and non Canadian factor in immensely, hard to find what would seem like a loveable superstar recently who has been hated on as much.

I am enjoying this form of EK a lot, points are great but team wins get me excited! another thing I was thinking last night is that it's almost like Guy Boucher was an EK fan and HF boards poster in the past few seasons, almost everything used against him has been directly addressed by EK's play this season....."doesn't kill penalties" "poor defensively", lol the guy is a staple on the PK now and draws all the top line matchups and excels, can't be much ammo left in the haters hopper at this point.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
So Karlsson is only on pace for roughly 65 points.

If the new system brings Ottawa closer to a cup I'm all for it.

But does it really? Not using the best offensive defenceman ever to play in the NHL in a role where he utilizes his strenghts the most, seems pretty negative.

Thoughts?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yup.

Physicality/Size: check
Big shot: check
North American: check

Ripe to be overrated. The Bryan McCabe factor.

Don't forget The Brand. Burns has created a Public Personality for himself. In this day and age, having that hook gets more votes than quiet competence. No one gave a damn about him before the beard, blender & backpack routine. Hell, why do you think Thornton jumped on the grizzlyman bandwagon? It's all about self promotion.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He needs to be on a team that actually has an impact. All the guys Karlsson is compared to have had deep playoff runs. It's not his fault, but it does affect perception.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
It's hilarious that we can say he's only on pace for 65 pts and have it be a negative.

And yeah, it's a bit ridiculous that last year, the Norris couldn't go to Karlsson because he's too offensive and not defensive enough. This year, everyone claims his points dropped because he's playing more defensively sound, yet Burns is the runaway candidate for the Norris because of his offensive production.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's hilarious that we can say he's only on pace for 65 pts and have it be a negative.

And yeah, it's a bit ridiculous that last year, the Norris couldn't go to Karlsson because he's too offensive and not defensive enough. This year, everyone claims his points dropped because he's playing more defensively sound, yet Burns is the runaway candidate for the Norris because of his offensive production.

Yeah, it's funny. Same people talking down about Karlsson last year and giving it to Due because Karl is le 3rd winger and Due plays the right way (aka by being born in Canada) might make a complete 180 and give the Norris to Burns because he is having an "unprecedented offensive season" that can't be overlooked. The narrative will probably be "oh we would have given it to Karlsson but the Sens didn't make the playoffs so that is why he lost the individual award. Sharks made it this year"

With that said, if Burns matches what Karlsson did last year, and Karlsson finishes way behind him, Burns should win the Norris. Just because Karlsson did what he did last year and was the first defender in decades to finish top 5 in points doesn't make Burns season any less impressive. The inconsistent logic amongst the voters is just funny.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Yeah, it's funny. Same people talking down about Karlsson last year and giving it to Due because Karl is le 3rd winger and Due plays the right way (aka by being born in Canada) might make a complete 180 and give the Norris to Burns because he is having an "unprecedented offensive season" that can't be overlooked. The narrative will probably be "oh we would have given it to Karlsson but the Sens didn't make the playoffs so that is why he lost the individual award. Sharks made it this year"

With that said, if Burns matches what Karlsson did last year, and Karlsson finishes way behind him, Burns should win the Norris. Just because Karlsson did what he did last year and was the first defender in decades to finish top 5 in points doesn't make Burns season any less impressive. The inconsistent logic amongst the voters is just funny.
I agree. I think Karlsson should have had the Norris last year, and that Burns should get it this year.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The legendary story goes that Steve Yzerman, after 150 pt seasons, was almost traded to Ottawa for Yashin, and then he changed his game, sacrificing offence for defence, and in turn became a legendary mvp.

Karlsson looks to be following that path this year, leading the way to becoming a stronger defensively structured team, sacrificing personal points for more team success. I imagine as time goes on, he will have more opportunities to flash more of his old game. Hopefully we can eventually build a good enough team around him that he can achieve success similar to how StevieY did.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa

I agree. I think Karlsson should have had the Norris last year, and that Burns should get it this year.

Yep exactly. They made a mistake last year, but I think it would be foolish to think they will make the same mistake again.

Karlsson should have won last year.
Burns should win it this year (if the season ended today).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad