Player Discussion Erik Haula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I pretty much agree with all that. Now that he's been freed up to play an *actual* "two-way game"--as opposed to before, when he was ordered to play one-way: defense-only--he really looks like a threat every time he's on the ice. People talk about Zucker's speed all the time, but Haula might be faster, and he just seems like a greater threat over the last, oh, half-season or so. Really happy he wasn't dealt away at the trade deadline for spare parts.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
I still feel like he will be better than Granlund.. much better at face offs and defensive side of the game.. also goal scoring seems to be a lot better at the moment so even if Granlund has more points in his career (when its all said and done) I think Haula will be the more important one.

One thing that can't be overlooked is the fact Haula had practically no pressure or expectations while Granlund was the savior of Finnish national hockey as a teenager and all kind of miss Finland finalists were running after him lol.. I still hope Granlund can achieve his ptential and the Wild can have 3 very good Finnish centers as long as Koivu plays well enough :)

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Isn't he 2c at the moment?

I mean I guess. But with the line juggling...lines 2 and 3 could be argued either way. I chose Haula's line as the 3rd line because of their shut down ability and that's usually how you think of a 3rd line. Although they've certainly been scoring a lot of offense lately.

Granlund has more points than Haula still as well. Haula hasn't really ever played top 6 competition, usually feasting on bottom 6's or playing a defensive role when out against the top 6.

I am however interested in seeing if this is a mirage for Haula or something he can keep up over a full season. He has some tools.

But again, I'm not really sure who the 2nd or 3rd line would be at full strength:

Vanek-Granlund-Zucker
Nino-Haula-Pominville

Again, I think of Granny's line there as a little bit more creative offensive players and I'm not sure I would trust that line defensively to shut anyone down because of the lack of size. Nino-Haula-Pominville have been hot as of late, but they read to me more as a scoring 3rd line at the moment. /shrugs

Do people on this board think that Haula is going to become a #2 C? How many points does that mean he'll jump to next year? Would that mean Granlund moving to wing? 3C? Would Granlund's game fit as a 3C?

***Personally, I think developing Haula into a Wes Walz type role at C with a little bit more offensive flair.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'd say he's more of a 2b center right now as we really don't have a traditional 3rd line anymore.

Kid is definitely playing with confidence right now.

Ozzysota

Dec 21, 2015
If I'm just looking at the last 10 games.

Haula is on fire and looks like 5mil dollars on the ice. He appears very talented. Torch is giving this guy more time and a line with real synergy and he's growing.

Really looks like he can still be anything. Damn glad we didn't get rid of him in the speculated Brodin + trade for RyJo.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i firmly believe last year in 2 of the first 10 games he had him bell rung and he had a concussion. this year hes back looking like walz 2.0. i hope he just keeps getting better. someday i'd like to see him on a line with zucker.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Haula tips out at a guy like Cullen, so he is not going to save the franchise, but it's nice that he's play such a big role in getting us some much needed wins.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
He's a major win, as a 7th round pick. The challenge will be to not go on the tank after this hot streak like he did last time.

For now, I'm enjoying the ride!

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Haula tips out at a guy like Cullen, so he is not going to save the franchise, but it's nice that he's play such a big role in getting us some much needed wins.

You need guys to fill certain roles and be better than the other teams player who plays the same role. Their aren't many better guys on the 3rd line like Haula who can frustrate opposing teams a lot with defense, break the game open on any moment with his speed that can break the top off of the defense, and single handedly make your PK a threat.

I'm really excited to see the way Nino, Coyle, and Zucker have been developing. They all seem to be progressing pretty much as well as could have hoped into 25g/25ast guys roughly. That would be awesome. Granlund and Haula are really good middle 6 centers as well. With Parise and Vanek around as well...our wingers are actually pretty stacked...Parise, Coyle, Vanek, Zucker, Nino.

Parise over a full season is a 30/30 guy. The rest of those guys are 25/25 guys.

I don't think Koivu can be moved...and I'm as big of a Granlund guy as they come. As Koivu declines into a #2 C...the need for a #1 C will become more and more apparent. Could you package Granlund + Olofsson + ______ for anything worthwhile?

And then you have guys like Tuch and to a lesser extent Lucia/Graovac coming up and we could have a pretty massive group of wingers with Coyle, Nino, Tuch, Lucia, and Graovac.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's in the middle of step #1 right now, which is to continue his strong play through the rest of the season. He doesn't have to go at a 60 point pace, but stay noticeable, keep being a threat.

Step #2 is to hold a top 9 center spot for all of next year. That should get him reasonably well paid next summer. If he can do that, we can see where his productivity falls over an entire season.

I still don't think he's going to be sure-fire top 6 center, although I don't completely discount the possibility. But a 30-40 point season from the #3C spot, with continued elite PK, and ability to run favorably against the MacKinnon's and Kane's of the league is an incredible asset.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

good comp.

We didn't see Cullen at his best, but he is (was) a very versatile, skilled player.

if granlund shot more he'd be decent 2c, and worth keeping around, or packaging a trade.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haula is able to fight through checks and keep his balance when breaking into the clear. His strength/balance is much better now. don't know if it's better training, physical maturity, or simply good health. Whatever it is, i hope he keeps it up.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haula and Bjugstad have the same amount of points (27).

-While Bjugstad has played 10 less games, he has played 60 min. more.

- Bjugstad has 13PP points, Haula 1.

- Bjugstad 51% FO, Haula 52.7.

- he has had 14 points in the 17 games since Yeo was fired.

- today was his season high in TOI, with 18.20.

Haula is having himself a very nice year. He and Nino are terrific together, and anyone who plays with them seems to do well also.

I like that Haula has figured out how to create offense while not short changing on D. Still a very good defensive player.

Last edited:

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Haula and Bjugstad have the same amount of points (27).

-While Bjugstad has played 10 less games, he has played 60 min. more.

- Bjugstad has 13PP points, Haula 1.

- Bjugstad 51% FO, Haula 52.7.

- he has had 14 points in the 17 games since Yeo was fired.

- today was his season high in YOI, with 18.20.

Haula is having himself a very nice year. He and Nino are terrific together, and anyone who plays with them seems to do well also.

I like that Haula has figured out how to create offense while not short changing on D. Still a very good defensive player.

Walz 2.0 would be victory, especially given Walz was 30 when he hit the Wild.

Haula is a piece to build around.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
As you can probably tell, I'm thrilled with his play. As a seventh rounder, it's found money.

PlusMinusZero

Sep 19, 2014
Sastamala
Walz 2.0 would be victory, especially given Walz was 30 when he hit the Wild.

Haula is a piece to build around.

If Haula is a piece to build around,then you know that this team is ******.I mean,yes Haula is better this year and looking good right now but let's not forget that he was awful long period of time of this season.Seems like fans of this team really likes their 3rd liners.In off season let's pump Haula's tyres as hard as some did with Nino last year,bonafide 40 goal guy my ass.

PlusMinusZero

Sep 19, 2014
Sastamala
You mean pre-Torchetti when Haula was constantly being benched because of superstars and grinders not named Haula playing ****tily?

Well yes,but I'm not sure what excuse is it to play like **** a huge part of the year just because you might have some issues with your coach.And he actually deserved to be benched when he was.

And Yeo was not the problem of this team.Good coach but was too much defense first kind of guy,but that's not excuse for players not to score,their still allowed to do that too.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
If Haula is a piece to build around,then you know that this team is ******.I mean,yes Haula is better this year and looking good right now but let's not forget that he was awful long period of time of this season.Seems like fans of this team really likes their 3rd liners.In off season let's pump Haula's tyres as hard as some did with Nino last year,bonafide 40 goal guy my ass.

A fast defensive shutdown center who can chip in offense? Not important?

Guess your idea of team building is more like that of the Oilers.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
A fast defensive shutdown center who can chip in offense? Not important?

Guess your idea of team building is more like that of the Oilers.

He has a point in that you don't build around Haula... you use players like Haula to build around better players.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Yeah, you don't build around bottom-6 forwards if you want to win the Stanley Cup. Haula's nice and all, but... No.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Well obviously expecting him to blossom into Sidney Crosby or something would be silly. But writing him off because of how he played under Yeo is just as bad. Some people seem to be under the impression that a player performing poorly for a specific coach has to do with them dogging it because they hate the guy, when in reality it has a lot more to do with how they are utilized, what kind of ice time they get, the overall strategy employed, amount of "on ice freedom", etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad