Player Discussion Erik Haula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He's playing outstanding lately. But remember last time he went on a hot streak and was handed a roster spot, he mailed it in during the offseason and had a completely forgettable year.

Hopefully he will continue to work to push himself to improve this summer and come back to be a 15+ goal and 30+ point player. Would be a great third line center. I don't think he has the ability to be what the Wild need for a top six center though (15+ goals and 50+ points).

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He's playing outstanding lately. But remember last time he went on a hot streak and was handed a roster spot, he mailed it in during the offseason and had a completely forgettable year.

Hopefully he will continue to work to push himself to improve this summer and come back to be a 15+ goal and 30+ point player. Would be a great third line center. I don't think he has the ability to be what the Wild need for a top six center though (15+ goals and 50+ points).

I think we really overlook how much breaking his jaw and the concussion probably derailed his offseason, and ability to prepare for the next season.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I think we really overlook how much breaking his jaw and the concussion probably derailed his offseason, and ability to prepare for the next season.

I've heard that floated around quite a bit, but it's never been brought up anywhere other than these boards. Either way, next year can make or break his career so he will be prepared. Playing really well and having say a 15 goal and 30 point season would likely get him a 10+ million dollar contract. Playing poorly would get him another 1m single year deal.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Russo, on his latest podcast, mentioned that Haula's nickname in the locker room is "Haula-Famer" which is supposedly due to his arrogance/cockiness at times. He mentioned that this attitude was a reason that Yeo wasn't a big fan of Haula's and would often be hesitant to increase Haula's on-ice role as a result.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I've heard that floated around quite a bit, but it's never been brought up anywhere other than these boards. Either way, next year can make or break his career so he will be prepared. Playing really well and having say a 15 goal and 30 point season would likely get him a 10+ million dollar contract. Playing poorly would get him another 1m single year deal.
I wouldn't call still being in the league is breaking your career.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Russo, on his latest podcast, mentioned that Haula's nickname in the locker room is "Haula-Famer" which is supposedly due to his arrogance/cockiness at times. He mentioned that this attitude was a reason that Yeo wasn't a big fan of Haula's and would often be hesitant to increase Haula's on-ice role as a result.

God forbid a player has some confidence and wants to play well. Pro athletes are cocky one way or another and he prolly plays it up with the guys because they give him **** for it. Yeo has to really be a fool of he couldn't see this as a minor things. If dude acted like T.O. then yeah, we have issues, but the guy carries himself well.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
God forbid a player has some confidence and wants to play well. Pro athletes are cocky one way or another and he prolly plays it up with the guys because they give him **** for it. Yeo has to really be a fool of he couldn't see this as a minor things. If dude acted like T.O. then yeah, we have issues, but the guy carries himself well.

Yeah, exactly. It's this weird thing where everyone knows the stereotype that hockey players (or football players, or baseball players... whatever) at their high school are cocky jocks..... but as soon as they're professionals, they're magically supposed to be these deferential saints walking around with their hands folded or whatever.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Look where Yeo came from as a player...little to no skill minor league grinder.

Torch was a skill guy himself in the minors.

Yeo probably hated the cocky SOB's getting ice time over him in his playing days and thus when this cocky SOB wouldn't become the blind Yeobot he wanted, he didn't react well about it.

Torch recognizes that skill guys need freedom to make skill plays, and reacts to performance on the ice more than anything else....having been there himself. As long as the skill guys don't go overboard and lose sight of the goal, he couldn't care less if the player has an air of cockiness.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Yeo probably hated the cocky SOB's getting ice time over him in his playing days and thus when this cocky SOB wouldn't become the blind Yeobot he wanted, he didn't react well about it.

Torch recognizes that skill guys need freedom to make skill plays, and reacts to performance on the ice more than anything else....having been there himself. As long as the skill guys don't go overboard and lose sight of the goal, he couldn't care less if the player has an air of cockiness.

You think Yeo held a grudge against cocky skill players because he wasn't a top-tier scorer throughout his career? That would be awfully petty, not to mention obvious. Don't think anyone at the NHL level would be able to get away with personal bias to that degree. Yeo was playing & scoring consistently at the AHL level while Torchetti only played 10 games in the AHL; most of his career was relegated to the ECHL. To me, that means Yeo was a more 'skilled' hockey player than Torchetti. Yeo probably understood the importance of defense more than Torchetti, and it's pretty obvious Torchetti understands offensive systems better than Yeo - especially having coached overseas.

Anyways, isn't Torchetti the guy scratching Zucker & Vanek? I'm not sure your theory holds much water.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
You think Yeo held a grudge against cocky skill players because he wasn't a top-tier scorer throughout his career? That would be awfully petty, not to mention obvious. Don't think anyone at the NHL level would be able to get away with personal bias to that degree. Yeo was playing & scoring consistently at the AHL level while Torchetti only played 10 games in the AHL; most of his career was relegated to the ECHL. To me, that means Yeo was a more 'skilled' hockey player than Torchetti. Yeo probably understood the importance of defense more than Torchetti, and it's pretty obvious Torchetti understands offensive systems better than Yeo - especially having coached overseas.

Anyways, isn't Torchetti the guy scratching Zucker & Vanek? I'm not sure your theory holds much water.

Makes perfect sense.

I look at the game vs NJD. Torch had the mentality of lets get some back, take a chance. I saw Yeo as a guy who said they get no more. With no plan to score.

Doesn't Koivu have 6 goals under Torch and had 11 for Yeo. He is opening up his game becasue he can, Under Yeo he had to shut it down. Koivu is just better than Haula so he could get away with it.

Earn the links in your chain or you get pulled in. Haula is earning his freedom. Vanek and Zucker are not given a pass.

Like JL with Gabby. Score 40 goals and ill look the other way. With Parrish. Plant in the net front and no results. Bye bye.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see a lot of ego in Haula's game. He plays D, blocks shots, has drastically improved his FO...these aren't signs of an entitled player. He was already playing better when Yeo was still here, though there is no doubt that Yeo was quick to scratch him.

I still think he had health problems, and his better play has coincided with better health.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities

Plus who's going to come out of more corners with the puck and win more races to pucks...the guy who always thinks he's better than the guy he's facing and that he's going to come out of whatever situation winning that puck or the other way around? Never understood why cockiness is frowned upon if they don't make a fool of themselves in public--which Haula certainly hasn't.

All I know I want my guys having the attitude that no one can beat them and they should act like it. Act like it and you'll perform like it. Or at least as close as possible for you to perform as well as you can. These guys are competing not holding hands.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Would it be strange if I had a statue commissioned of Erik and put it on my lawn? His blend of speed, defense, smarts, and sneaky offense, all at a bargain price, is exciting. Wonder if he would be good on the PP?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd forgotten. Who was the playmaker ? I know that Scmidt did it from the point,as well as shoot it, and Bjugstad was the shooter

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'd forgotten. Who was the playmaker ? I know that Scmidt did it from the point,as well as shoot it, and Bjugstad was the shooter

Yeah, Bjugstad was essentially Ovechkin in his role. Just posting up blasting one timers. As I recall, Haula would often get the puck and drive towards the net from that wall, shooting if he had a Lane, or flipping it over to Bjugstad is the PKers collapsed on him.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012

Hes pretty much already at this point. I think he is capable of more if his head is on straight? I dont see a 30 goal scorer but I think he can get 20 goals a year and be a 45 pt guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad