Speculation: Erik Haula on the outs in CAR

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I'd want a 2020 2nd + Puljujarvi from Edmonton. Chiasson does nothing for Carolina.

Yes, I just tried :DD

Pulujärvi, who is putting up good numbers for Haula. Its intruging.
OfC this side of it, wants an add.

If its a 2nd, then Oilers can get a 3rd in the deal at least?

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
I think Carolina keeps him as an "own rental" unless the offer fits an obvious need. In 30 games, he has 19 points (11+8) and 3 PPG . He's a guy not afraid to go to the dirty areas which is sorely needed, especially if we make the playoffs.

He won't be given away unless he becomes so vocal about his discontent that he becomes a locker room distraction. We're not there yet.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haula is good as a winger, too. That's where i think he'd come into play in EDM.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I think Carolina keeps him as an "own rental" unless the offer fits an obvious need. In 30 games, he has 19 points (11+8) and 3 PPG . He's a guy not afraid to go to the dirty areas which is sorely needed, especially if we make the playoffs.

He won't be given away unless he becomes so vocal about his discontent that he becomes a locker room distraction. We're not there yet.
This makes the most sense. The 'canes are in a playoff space and have surplus forwards. I think some people call this self-insurance.

Reactions: Jerkob Slavin

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I'd probably do haula+goalie for lehner and I really dont want to move haula. Lehner is super good. Not sure chicago really benefits at all in that deal other than having a goalie under contract for next year

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Guy is finally back after injuries and then gets healthy scratched in a contract year on a roster with guys like Brock McGinn, Jordan Martinook and 100 y old Justin Williams.

Guy is understandably mad.

Your order is wrong though. The rift came first and sounds like that's the reason he was scratched, not the other way around.

Before that he's been playing a lot of offensive minutes with Dzingel and Necas. Not Top 6 minutes I guess, but still with good offensive players, and 1st PP time. Seems weird to get super angry over that. Entirely possible there's something else going on behind the scenes.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Miller for haula

Which Miller? The one that has been frequently scratched on the Sabres? And when playing, is getting pretty sheltered minutes and not performing that well with those minutes? And still has 2 more years at almost $4M / year?

I admit I haven't seen him play much this year so maybe a change will turn things around for him, but it seems like VGN caught lightning in a bottle with him a couple years ago,but other than that, he looks kind of pedestrian.

And why would Buffalo trade for Haula? He's basically a rental and the Sabre's aren't really buyers right now.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Didn't he also riding a ridiculous shooting percentage to start the season? Like it was 25% or something before the injury? Karlsson had a similar shooting percentage on the way to 43 goals then came back down to earth with like 23 last season. I think Haula's numbers have already started to equal a bit since he's been playing again.

They would be able to get something for him but the rest of the season is vital for him as far as his next contract goes. There's probably less than thirty games for him to earn more. Otherwise, I could see him get a 4x4, 4x5 contract.

Reactions: DaveG

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Didn't he also riding a ridiculous shooting percentage to start the season? Like it was 25% or something before the injury? Karlsson had a similar shooting percentage on the way to 43 goals then came back down to earth with like 23 last season. I think Haula's numbers have already started to equal a bit since he's been playing again.

They would be able to get something for him but the rest of the season is vital for him as far as his next contract goes. There's probably less than thirty games for him to earn more. Otherwise, I could see him get a 4x4, 4x5 contract.

Haula was riding a high shooting % to open the year because he was playing like Holmstrom in front of the net. He has excellent hands and instinct in-tight and rarely misses an opportunity to score.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Haula was riding a high shooting % to open the year because he was playing like Holmstrom in front of the net. He has excellent hands and instinct in-tight and rarely misses an opportunity to score.

Nobody holds 25% shooting percentage over multiple seasons. Only 2 or 3 hold 15%. If he could hold 13-14% that would be one of the highest in the league.

He can have a very high percentage that would still be about half of what he started the season.

I think he is a good player, and would welcome him back but he is vitally in need of a good end of season. If he finishes the season with around 30 points in 60 games then I can't see him getting a lot more than 4M from teams with term. There would be injury concerns, they would look at the shooting percentage, I think he needs a good run to get a bigger contract.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I loved Haula when he was on the Wild. Would like to bring him back as a FA, if it is decided that Koivu won't be back. Makes no sense to trade for him now, though....unless CAR takes Rask back, which I am sure they are clamoring for.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Which Miller? The one that has been frequently scratched on the Sabres? And when playing, is getting pretty sheltered minutes and not performing that well with those minutes? And still has 2 more years at almost $4M / year?

I admit I haven't seen him play much this year so maybe a change will turn things around for him, but it seems like VGN caught lightning in a bottle with him a couple years ago,but other than that, he looks kind of pedestrian.

And why would Buffalo trade for Haula? He's basically a rental and the Sabre's aren't really buyers right now.

Haula as a rent-to-buy is probably the thought. And yes, Colin Miller has had a hard time being a regular. He's outplayed people on a given night and still come out of the lineup, so what the issue might be with him and Krueger is anyone's guess.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Haula as a rent-to-buy is probably the thought. And yes, Colin Miller has had a hard time being a regular. He's outplayed people on a given night and still come out of the lineup, so what the issue might be with him and Krueger is anyone's guess.

I've probably studied Colin Miller's tape more than any other Canes fan on this board. I really like his game a lot and I've recently been advocating a trade for him ever since Dougie's fibula break and Haula's rumored feud with Brind'Amour. It seems like that he's been horribly misused in Buffalo the entire year.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I've probably studied Colin Miller's tape more than any other Canes fan on this board. I really like his game a lot and I've recently been advocating a trade for him ever since Dougie's fibula break and Haula's rumored feud with Brind'Amour. It seems like that he's been horribly misused in Buffalo the entire year.

Miller was scratched in Vegas also. Even in a playoff game. He definitely has holes in his game.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I like the idea of a Haula/Puljujarvi swap. Haula would be a nice player in Edmonton, Puljujarvi would have the best possible chance to succeed in Carolina. Not sure how balancing it out would work.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I like the idea of a Haula/Puljujarvi swap. Haula would be a nice player in Edmonton, Puljujarvi would have the best possible chance to succeed in Carolina. Not sure how balancing it out would work.
If Haula keeps his weight mostly on the healthy knee and Pulju tries keeping his weight even on both hips, I don't think either will topple.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Russo and Haula used to have a feud. Russo doubted his abilities to be anything more than a 4th liner when he came into the league, and reportedly, Haula was pissed about it.
Haula would be a good fit on a lot of teams, but i don't know what sort of price he would command. I am sure that CAR would rather see him in the west. EDM sure could use him, but don't know what they have to give up.
Haula for Granlund? Change of scenery deal. Both blond, Finnish, and 5'10"(to quote Bruce Boudreau).
To Boston to either be their 2nd line RW, or play 3rd line C while moving Coyle to RW.

I would think that he would cost a late 1st, 2nd at the least. He could be a difference maker to a contender lacking forward depth.
Cmon man, you know damn well Haula's hair isn't blonde.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad