Speculation: Erik Haula on the outs in CAR

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
What is the ask for Haula + Reimer from the Leafs?

I know that you want RD but with the emergence of Sandin I could maybe see something around Dermott as a piece for the leafs

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
it will be interesting to see if the Canes recall anyone from Charlotte after the All Star Break.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Williams scored twice in a 4-1 win while Haula was scratched so it's hard to justify hate for "100 y old Justin Williams".

If Haula wants a big UFA deal then he should put his head down and work hard. The Canes have absolutely no reason to gift him a better opportunity than he currently has. They will do what is best for the Hurricanes, not Haula.

Good for the Canes. My post was mainly to say that it's understandable for him to be mad to be treated/scratched like that after coming back from injury, especially in a contract year. He's definitely a better player than those I named in my post. Maybe there are some character issues that we are not aware of... But for sure the Canes are a better team with him than without him IMO.

However, I still think Haula is a quality player and that the team that will sign him as an UFA will be very happy.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This is weird. He's coming off major knee surgery and has missed substantial time this year. He's 5th among Canes forwards in Toi/GP and 4th in PP TOI/GP (as he's on the 1st PP unit). His most common linemates are Dzingel and Necas, two offensive wingers and he gets favorable match-ups.

If he's "unhappy" with that arrangement, I'd question what would make him happy. This is assuming those reports are true.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
it will be interesting to see if the Canes recall anyone from Charlotte after the All Star Break.

There’s 0 need to recall anyone. They currently have 13 “relatively” healthy NHL caliber forwards. If anything, they’ll more than likely call up a D for their next road trip.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
This is weird. He's coming off major knee surgery and has missed substantial time this year. He's 5th among Canes forwards in Toi/GP and 4th in PP TOI/GP (as he's on the 1st PP unit). His most common linemates are Dzingel and Necas, two offensive wingers and he gets favorable match-ups.

If he's "unhappy" with that arrangement, I'd question what would make him happy. This is assuming those reports are true.

Considering what he brings, Carolina is about as good as it gets in terms of getting ice time and being on a competitive team.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
What is the ask for Haula + Reimer from the Leafs?

I know that you want RD but with the emergence of Sandin I could maybe see something around Dermott as a piece for the leafs

It’s tricky with our goaltending. Reimer has had his fair share of bad games (the one vs the the Leafs was a prime example) but on the whole he’s put up really solid numbers this year. Mrazek can be really good but he’s also inconsistent and usually isn’t a goalie that will win you the game.

However, I like Dermott a lot and could see him fitting in nicely next to Pesce in the top 4.

If Haula truly wants out I’d make that trade around Dermott because it’s a good move for the next 4-5 years.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
would depend on if he’d extend or not. If he wouldn’t, not much point in Edmonton pulling the trigger.

Agreed. From what I understand, if the rumours are true of Haula wanting out, it’s because he wants a bigger role with the top guys... im thinking that Edmonton could give him that opportunity.

Since it’s all fantasy land anyway, let’s assume Haula agrees a reasonable deal... what does a deal look like for Larsson?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed. From what I understand, if the rumours are true of Haula wanting out, it’s because he wants a bigger role with the top guys... im thinking that Edmonton could give him that opportunity.

Since it’s all fantasy land anyway, let’s assume Haula agrees a reasonable deal... what does a deal look like for Larsson?

I’m not sure to be honest. Larsson’s still a top four guy but he’s fallen off a bit. Haula’s been really good the last couple years, but if he’s disgruntled and wants out, that affects value too - and Larsson is made for playoffs. We’d be pretty soft on the right side without him.

Complicated, this one.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Erik Gustafsson for Erik Haula

Kubalik - Toews - Caggiula
Saad - Haula - Kane
Cat - Strome - Dach
Nylander - Kampf - Carpenter

//

Slavin-Edmundson
Gustafsson-Pesce
Gardiner-TVR

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I’m not sure to be honest. Larsson’s still a top four guy but he’s fallen off a bit. Haula’s been really good the last couple years, but if he’s disgruntled and wants out, that affects value too - and Larsson is made for playoffs. We’d be pretty soft on the right side without him.

Complicated, this one.

Thats fair. Ideally Haula puts his head down and plays his ass off the rest of the year considering he gets to play on the pp and lots of sheltered easy minutes with offensive drivers like Necas and Dzingel.

Reactions: Stickpucker

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Erik Gustafsson for Erik Haula

Kubalik - Toews - Caggiula
Saad - Haula - Kane
Cat - Strome - Dach
Nylander - Kampf - Carpenter

//

Slavin-Edmundson
Gustafsson-Pesce
Gardiner-TVR

Those D pairings are making me sad. Not that Gustafsson isn’t good but Edmundson on the top pair is just not something you get used to seeing.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Those D pairings are making me sad. Not that Gustafsson isn’t good but Edmundson on the top pair is just not something you get used to seeing.

Agree, if Hamilton is not coming back this season then the Canes should look to add a defensive 2nd pair partner for Gardiner (if anything). Probably why Russo said the Canes aren't interested in Dumba despite them focusing on adding a RHD.

Slavin - Pesce
Gardiner - 2nd pair D
Edmundson - TVR/Fleury

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Agree, if Hamilton is not coming back this season then the Canes should look to add a defensive 2nd pair partner for Gardiner (if anything). Probably why Russo said the Canes aren't interested in Dumba despite them focusing on adding a RHD.

Slavin - Pesce
Gardiner - 2nd pair D
Edmundson - TVR/Fleury

Gardiner in our top 4 and trying to add a top 4 RHD. OMG, we’ve become the Leafs, haven’t we. :sarcasm:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'm kindof surprised. Most Finn's like it here. At the same time it's been a rough year with his injuries and the baby....

He's probably not too thrilled seeing Jordan get more minutes and fail to finish repeatedly. Just the last game vs Wpg Staal had 4 very dangerous chances he couldn't finish. I'd bet Haula finishes 3 of those.

Would really like to see Svech Haula Necas get some time together as a second line.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Edm has terrible wingers. Who would he play with there?

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
IDK, this sounds like speculation to me.

He has only been scratched once and guys will be taking turns being healthy scratches with Justin Williams back. Seems like HCRB is approaching it as giving a guy a maintenance day. I think he did Haula a favor giving him a bit of a head start before the long break.

Like BBA has said, it's not like he is getting burried in the line up, he is getting favorible matchups with skilled wingers.

Doesn't really add up to me, but maybe there is drama behind the scenes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->