Speculation: Erik Haula on the outs in CAR

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So, according to Michael Russo, Erik Huala is not happy in CAR:

The Russo-Souhan Show

credit to @Big Daddy Cane and @2Minutes4Surging, listen to the comments around the 40min mark.

Evidently, Haula is none too happy with coach RBA and his usage in CAR, while also still recovering from offseason surgery. He was great to start the season, got tendonitis, was out a while, then back for the past stretch of games while not being as effective as he was in early season and healthy scratched last night.

He's UFA at the end of the season and when healthy, can be a very effective top 9 C. I don't think the Canes would deal him at this point, as what playoff team couldn't use depth at C? But, now I wonder if he plus picks/prospects potentially goes over to another team for a Hamilton fill-in.

Also, on that same podcast, Russo says it seems like CAR now is focusing on RD and specifically not interested in Dumba, so not sure where they really go from there. Sounds like they still do have some interest in Brodin even though he's LD. Not too many RD on the market these days...

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The Minnesota fans have said that he has a tendency to speculate on his podcast/radio show. That could be Russo seeing him be healthy scratched and drawing conclusions from that. However, Haula does have a history in Minnesota, including several former teammates still on the roster.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
In the 30 games Haula has played this year he has paced 30 goals and 50+ points. For a team that is middle-of-the-pack when it comes to scoring goals it seems like the Canes would be better off just keeping Haula as an own-rental, regardless of how he feels.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The Minnesota fans have said that he has a tendency to speculate on his podcast/radio show. That could be Russo seeing him be healthy scratched and drawing conclusions from that. However, Haula does have a history in Minnesota, including several former teammates still on the roster.
"Haula Famer" has never lacked for confidence in his own abilities or an appetite for top-6 minutes. I think it was part of the reason he extended with Vegas so quickly after being traded there, while their roster was still assumed to be kind of a disaster: at least he'd finally get top-6 minutes and powerplay time.

Doesn't shock me that he still wants those things. Doesn't shock me that another coach has refused to oblige him.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s more of a “take it with a grain of salt” kinda deal when he’s on the podcast. He tends towards pretending he’s on HF on his podcast, but it doesn’t mean everything said on his podcast is baseless.

If they trade him, they could get a good Haul-a.

This is very cool I haven’t heard this one before.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
In the 30 games Haula has played this year he has paced 30 goals and 50+ points. For a team that is middle-of-the-pack when it comes to scoring goals it seems like the Canes would be better off just keeping Haula as an own-rental, regardless of how he feels.

I would own-rental him, as well, unless our FO gets some offer that they just can't refuse. I just don't know what that would be or look like. He is a really good player, but I doubt seeing some team trading yet another 1st (or equivalent package) to us for a rental.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
If they trade him, they could get a good Haul-a.
giphy.gif

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Exactly, which is why I’d be pretty surprised if they dealt him. He’s good insurance to have up a playoff team’s sleeve. But, if he’s pouting about playing time, etc, do you really want that around during a playoff push?

Could be an interesting situation to monitor, or nothing at all. I tend to think it’s nothing, but it’s the season for all kinds of speculation so...

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
If Green gets healthy, could there be a deal to be made with Detroit? Cause if he wants top six minutes he'll get it in Detroit :laugh:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
"Haula Famer" has never lacked for confidence in his own abilities or an appetite for top-6 minutes. I think it was part of the reason he extended with Vegas so quickly after being traded there, while their roster was still assumed to be kind of a disaster: at least he'd finally get top-6 minutes and powerplay time.

Doesn't shock me that he still wants those things. Doesn't shock me that another coach has refused to oblige him.

Let's assume this is sourced, a clash with the coach shouldn't be about ice time. Yes, he's the clear 3C by EV deployment. However, those are soft minutes next to complimentary 2nd line skill types, Dzingel and Necas. Haula has been on the 1st PP unit all season. That's a really friendly opportunity for a player in a contract year and the resulting production has him on pace to make a lot of money in a shallow C market in the Summer.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
So, according to Michael Russo, Erik Huala is not happy in CAR:

The Russo-Souhan Show

credit to @Big Daddy Cane and @2Minutes4Surging

Also, on that same podcast, Russo says it seems like CAR now is focusing on RD and specifically not interested in Dumba, so not sure where they really go from there. Sounds like they still do have some interest in Brodin even though he's LD. Not too many RD on the market these days...

Don’t know why they wouldn’t be interested in Dumba? He’s apparently available and is indeed a RD and still a quality d-man, though perhaps having an off season?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russo and Haula used to have a feud. Russo doubted his abilities to be anything more than a 4th liner when he came into the league, and reportedly, Haula was pissed about it.
Haula would be a good fit on a lot of teams, but i don't know what sort of price he would command. I am sure that CAR would rather see him in the west. EDM sure could use him, but don't know what they have to give up.
Haula for Granlund? Change of scenery deal. Both blond, Finnish, and 5'10"(to quote Bruce Boudreau).
To Boston to either be their 2nd line RW, or play 3rd line C while moving Coyle to RW.

I would think that he would cost a late 1st, 2nd at the least. He could be a difference maker to a contender lacking forward depth.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Don’t know why they wouldn’t be interested in Dumba? He’s apparently available and is indeed a RD and still a quality d-man, though perhaps having an off season?

The acquisition cost is most likely higher than they are or should be willing to pay. Brodin, the guy they were linked to, has ~1.5 years left on his contract. It was feasible that he could ultimately go for futures because of that. Dumba has term.

Hamilton isn't dead; he only broke his leg. A major trade that changes the make-up of the lineup long-term is unnecessary. The expansion draft is an issue as well.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->