Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
i seem to recall saying any effect would vary, not that it is invariabl foolproof. the idea having a physical player is useless because he does not prevent all bad things happening seems a bit extreme.

and i can see being annoyed here but if the coach told the player not to respond how do you blame the player?

Because when that's what a guy is getting paid to bring, he has to know that part of it is knowing when to go off the rails some.

The coach, in that situation, has to take the high road and remain calm. If you don't, you end up with your whole team going f***ing bonkers, which can't happen.

Part of being that "deterrent" or stand-up-team-guy or whatever you want to call it is being the guy who says f*** it and goes out the next shift and puts someone through the boards or fights someone or whatever. You're allowing the coach to maintain the air of calm that they need to present in that situation to keep the team from spiralling, while you're also taking one for the team, so to speak, and allowing the rest of them to follow orders while still being able to go into the room with the attitude and swagger that your team stands up for each other and doesn't let opponents take liberties.

Reactions: pgj98m3

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Because when that's what a guy is getting paid to bring, he has to know that part of it is knowing when to go off the rails some.

The coach, in that situation, has to take the high road and remain calm. If you don't, you end up with your whole team going ****ing bonkers, which can't happen.

Part of being that "deterrent" or stand-up-team-guy or whatever you want to call it is being the guy who says **** it and goes out the next shift and puts someone through the boards or fights someone or whatever. You're allowing the coach to maintain the air of calm that they need to present in that situation to keep the team from spiralling, while you're also taking one for the team, so to speak, and allowing the rest of them to follow orders while still being able to go into the room with the attitude and swagger that your team stands up for each other and doesn't let opponents take liberties.
Yeah but you actually have to be a tough guy to do that. Not someone who only plays half the games a year, gets injured on vacation (multiple times), fights wayyy less than the average tough guy, and is credited with 4 hits in 3 games (tied with stecher- while pouliot has 10 lol).

Reactions: pgj98m3

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
We need to compile a list of all the Guddy quotes about protecting and sticking up for the young players. I'm not happy that this happened, but I'm happy that Guddy is probably going to get lit up like a christmas tree over the lack of any kind of retribution. Dude's a fake tough guy and he's gonna take a beating from media and the fans in the coming days.

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
The problem is that the fans have been consistently told throughout this management's tenure that we need to give up roster spots, cap space, and in some cases tradeable assets to have supposed deterrent players on the roster (whether or not they can actually play). If those players can't do that, whether because the coach is telling them not to or not, what was the point in acquiring them?

Reactions: pomorick and MS

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
We need to compile a list of all the Guddy quotes about protecting and sticking up for the young players. I'm not happy that this happened, but I'm happy that Guddy is probably going to get lit up like a christmas tree over the lack of any kind of retribution. Dude's a fake tough guy and he's gonna take a beating from media and the fans in the coming days.
oops

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I am just going to ignore this thread now because I have nothing left to say about this player.

Tonight's game was the final nail in the coffin of him having any value.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Just imagine how hurt Pettersson would have been without gudbranson there as a deterrent for Matheson to stop once he slammed Pettersson to the ground.

Reactions: pomorick

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
they should have left his A$$ in Florida. im done defending the chump.
he's there for one reason, and it isn't those sweet off the glass break out passes. tonight he needed to make an appearance and he was busy jumping up and down on his thumb. If i was our jellyfish gm, i'd be actively testing the market on this player tomorrow and if one doesn't exist, he'd be on waivers first thing monday. disf***inggraceful

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Quick visit from a Panthers fan:

Take the win and leave this Guds discussion behind. I hope Pettersson will be fine, what an exciting player.

But Green said himself there is a time and place for retribution. This wasn't it. So Guds did what a pro at his position has to do: obey the orders of your coach and keep your hands in your pockets (especially as a brink number 5/6, you cannot afford dissobeying like a Diva superstar)

I'm 100% sure 4 years ago Guds would have been all over him without asking, but today only if Green lets him. Wait for the next game, Matheson will get his punishment if he is man enough to stand up for himself.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Take the win and leave this Guds discussion behind. I hope Pettersson will be fine, what an exciting player.

But Green said himself there is a time and place for retribution. This wasn't it. So Guds did what a pro at his position has to do: obey the orders of your coach and keep your hands in your pockets (especially as a brink number 5/6, you cannot afford dissobeying like a Diva superstar)

I'm 100% sure 4 years ago Guds would have been all over him without asking, but today only if Green lets him. Wait for the next game, Matheson will get his punishment if he is man enough to stand up for himself.

That's almost....worse....it means we have a completely incompetent coach who incorrectly reigned in the players to try for what will be an utterly meaningless 2 points when the literal franchise player gets injured.

It's not that they didn't try to fight him, but no one even came up to him, no one gave him a whack, no one even laid the body on him, he was literally untouched for the rest of the game.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Retribution usually happens the next game, in this case --Hendricks was concussed.

A game in 3 months against a non-rival team in a time of the year where surely we'll be scraping for silver linings and moral victories.

I can't wait to dust my hands off and put the "elias petterson retribution" file into the cabinet and declare CASE CLOSED.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

A lot of this reaction is because of a certain someone on this board repeatedly braying on and on about how tough Gudbranson is, how he intimidates the other teams and protects the kids, yadda yadda yadda.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I am 100% not wrong. You wanna use that small a sample size? Thats the criteria now? Cause if we are using that small a sample size, will ignoring the body of work of both players, then I don't know what to tell you.

Small sample size? What sample size were you using when you responded to my comment that I think Pouliot has been Gudbranson's best partner (here)? What sample size were you using when you said that you "can't think of a worse pairing I've seen suit up for the Canucks, pretty much ever"? Let me guess, the SAME SAMPLE SIZE as what Canucks Army used in their evaluation + oh a game or two from this season? Tell me how Canucks Army was using a small sample size and you weren't?

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

Gudbradson is trash.

Reactions: Peter10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad