Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson - To trade or extend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's looking more and more like it's true. First there was the Gudbranson/Demers trade rumor that was vetoed by a NTC, then there was the quote by Benning earlier in the season saying old-school defensive d-men aren't really useful anymore, and now we get this tweet (though I take it with a grain of salt since Shannon isn't completely reliable).

Yeah, I was also expecting a big 'Gudbranson Redemption!' push from IMac on behalf of the organization and that hasn't really happened at all. Is starting to seem legit that they've soured on the player.

Right now 'traded for a 2nd rounder/failing age gap prospect at deadline' is probably the leading option, followed by 'lost for nothing because the team was close to the playoffs at the deadline'.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
This is a good 2016 interview with Benning about the Gudbranson trade:
Interesting, so apparently Benning grabbed Gudbranson to help against the big Cali teams to "break up the cycle", presumably against guys like Getzlaf, Kopitar, etc.

From my viewing it seems like Gudbranson gets pinned in his zone pretty regularly but I've never looked to see if he actually does well against the cycle by big bodied teams. Looking at last year - he seems to have done well against Getzlaf (33.33 CF% With Guddy, 66.67 CF% Away), but not as well against Kopitar. Gonna have to watch him on this upcoming Cali trip.

Either way, move him at the TDL, please.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would trade him now. Biega has outplayed him and should stay in the lineup when Edler/Stecher come back.
What 2 games?

Were better having Biega as depth pushing Stecher and Gudbranson to be good and available when the inevitable injuries occur

Can trade him later

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
What 2 games?

Were better having Biega as depth pushing Stecher and Gudbranson to be good and available when the inevitable injuries occur
Biega is ideal in the spot he's in. He fills in with aplomb whenever called upon and can mothball for weeks on end while remaining basically rust free. As Biega goes, less is more it seems. Great niche player though.

Reactions: sting101

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Biega is ideal in the spot he's in. He fills in with aplomb whenever called upon and can mothball for weeks on end while remaining basically rust free. As Biega goes, less is more it seems. Great niche player though.

Sure, on a good team.

On this team, he's a better player than Gudbranson or Pouliot, and should play ahead of them.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Sure, on a good team.

On this team, he's a better player than Gudbranson or Pouliot, and should play ahead of them.
looked pretty overwhelmed as a regular last year.
Agree.

Biega love the guy but he looked like a depth player at the end of both the last 2 seasons and that's with less than full time duty. It's great that he can jump in and bring some intensity and solid play.

Gudbranson is a superior player.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Sure, on a good team.

You might be right about him being better than Pouliot, the jury is still out at this stage I would say, though I hated giving up that 4th.

And I realize it isn't 2002 and Guddy isn't as valuable as he would have been 10-15 years ago, but he is still more useful in the lineup than Biega I think. It's still a hard game out there. Opposition players don't like playing against him.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You might be right about him being better than Pouliot, the jury is still out at this stage I would say, though I hated giving up that 4th.

And I realize it isn't 2002 and Guddy isn't as valuable as he would have been 10-15 years ago, but he is still more useful in the lineup than Biega I think. It's still a hard game out there. Opposition players don't like playing against him.

Biega is more physical than gudbranson and does everything he does better.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
.. Florida fan here.. will gladly take guds back.. we have been sorely missing player like him since he left.. we do t have a single defensemen that can handle 20 mins a night and knock a player off a puck or separate a player from puck in our end down low.. we have no one to turn momentum with a hit or look after any cheap hits.. no Haley and his 8 mins a night doesn't count.. we don't have a single dman that has a main priority of defending our net and preventing goals.. . He was good for us when here and looks to be improving in vancouvers system.. I would take him back with open arms.. brings a completely different energy and attitude to the team we have lacked since he left.. u guys will notice it when it is gone as well

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I know you like him Kolden. I'm a fan too.

I hope he's stays around here in his niche here for 5 years at least. it's a great story.

Has nothing to do with whether I like him or not. It is about players earning play based on merit.

Literally the only thing gudbranson does better than biega is reach the best liquor from the highest shelf. This is a more valuable skill in my apartment than in the NHL.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
.. Florida fan here.. will gladly take guds back.. we have been sorely missing player like him since he left.. we do t have a single defensemen that can handle 20 mins a night and knock a player off a puck or separate a player from puck in our end down low.. we have no one to turn momentum with a hit or look after any cheap hits.. no Haley and his 8 mins a night doesn't count.. we don't have a single dman that has a main priority of defending our net and preventing goals.. . He was good for us when here and looks to be improving in vancouvers system.. I would take him back with open arms.. brings a completely different energy and attitude to the team we have lacked since he left.. u guys will notice it when it is gone as well
What's the deal with Ekblad and Petrovic?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Would you do a reverse trade: McCann for Gudbranson?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Has nothing to do with whether I like him or not. It is about players earning play based on merit.

Literally the only thing gudbranson does better than biega is reach the best liquor from the highest shelf. This is a more valuable skill in my apartment than in the NHL.
I would say that you're on your own in this evaluation, at least if the hockey marketplace is any barometer. And it should be. Your Gubranson hate is a hate that knows not boundaries it seems. A hate as big as the Montana sky..

But it doesn't jibe with reality ;)

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

He is something of a whipping boy here on this little forum it seems. You should have a look around, it's quite startling.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I would say that you're on your own in this evaluation, at least if the hockey marketplace is any barometer. And it should be. Your Gubranson hate is a hate that knows not boundaries it seems. A hate as big as the Montana sky..

But it doesn't jibe with reality ;)

What does gudbranson do better than biega?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
How's McCann doing this year so far?

I do like second round draft picks.

McCann has started well, but really, I don't know how his year is going to go. Even with his struggles last year, this is a viable deal IMO. FLA is flush with centre candidates.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
McCann has started well, but really, I don't know how his year is going to go. Even with his struggles last year, this is a viable deal IMO. FLA is flush with centre candidates.
Even considering Guddy's UFA status at years' end? Tallon would have to have a bigger man crush on Guddy than we think he does to give up McCann + second at this stage of the game. I can see Guddy practically running back to south beach come summer.

But you never know I guess, hockey is a funny game populated by some interesting characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad