Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson - To trade or extend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Its MOVEMBER! Guddy's time to shine. I will be tuning in tonight to check out what will assuredly be his greatest contribution to the team this year - his mustache. Hopefully the Province can take advantage of this with a few featured articles about him- maybe they could make a poster of just his face? I think he's going to have the coolest mustache on the team - he is such a classy and cool guy and he is so great in the community. I forgot - he is soooo big n tough as well.
1118openmic.jpg

Reactions: elwin316

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
This is how it will likely go.
A team will probably have to be desperate and offer a great D prospect or a 1st if we're in such a position.

And with his transition controlled zone exit ratio relative to his teammates stat, that will not happen. But maybe possible if they look at GA.

Most gms dont give a shit about statistics they are in denial. Gudbranson was just as awful on the panthers as he was on the canucks so some dim GM will probably make a really dumb offer for him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Most gms dont give a **** about statistics they are in denial. Gudbranson was just as awful on the panthers as he was on the canucks so some dim GM will probably make a really dumb offer for him.
Pretty arrogant comments from a poster who thinks that he is smarter than most GM's..Unfortunately..I think you lost most of your credibility in the "Fire Green" thread.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Pretty arrogant comments from a poster who thinks that he is smarter than most GM's..Unfortunately..I think you lost most of your credibility in the "Fire Green" thread.

Not that WTG needs it, but his "credibility" is very much intact, comments about Green withstanding.

This thing about being "smarter than most GMs"... It's still a form of an appeal. A GM isn't automatically deemed to be smarter than any fan just because he's a GM. It's the rationale that matters. A GM can execute a poor trade while providing suspect reasoning for it. A fan can spot that and deem it to be poor. Is the fan an insufficient judge because he doesn't work as a GM? How do you think Linden judges Benning, not having any prior NHL management experience? Positions never dictate competence. That is only found through the work.

Last edited:

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Didn't happen, yes, but it's information that is key in determining where the Canucks are _likely_ to go with this player.

I do not see Gudbranson as a going concern for the Canucks for too much longer. They know what they have, and were ready to move it.

I really disagree, based on one thing...

Guds is INITIATING physical events, during the play this year, for the first time in a long time, the Canucks have a guy that needs to be responded too, rather than a guy who is there to respond.

I have been the BIGGEST Guds hater on Earth, had you asked me I would have happily written you a multi-page article on how were it not for string of incredible and odds-defying good luck, this is a player, who if things had been just a C-hair different (picked one spot earlier/later, any other team, ect.) may never have played a single game in the NHL..

But I have to be honest, I grew up on the Murzyn farm, every mourning I got up at 4AM to milk the Diducks, I like having a defenceman who is MEAN and does things the OTHER team doesn't like, and I see how it can throw the other team off their game when you initiate that kind of thing, it usually works against you when you react to it..

...hate to say it, but I kinda like what I've seen so far, I don't watch hockey as an excuse to do math homework, and I find calculating zone exit stats is really only appealing when nothing FUN is happening in the game..so far Gudz has brought a little brohaha to the party, and I admit, I've been sniffing it out of a brown paper bag.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Did i say i was smarter then the gms?

You quite possibly are,

And you could quite possibly do a better job at the strict player personal part of the gig than some of the guys being paid to do it.

Oh, and your credibility is intact, whats-his-name is not the grand arbiter of cred around here,

In fact, his saying you have none kind of gives you an instant credibility boost, so be sure and send him a Christmas card,

Postmark it to Rodgers arena, they'll make sure he gets it.

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017

Guds is INITIATING physical events, during the play this year, for the first time in a long time, the Canucks have a guy that needs to be responded too, rather than a guy who is there to respond.

I have been the BIGGEST Guds hater on Earth, had you asked me I would have happily written you a multi-page article on how were it not for string of incredible and odds-defying good luck, this is a player, who if things had been just a C-hair different (picked one spot earlier/later, any other team, ect.) may never have played a single game in the NHL..

But I have to be honest, I grew up on the Murzyn farm, every mourning I got up at 4AM to milk the Diducks, I like having a defenceman who is MEAN and does things the OTHER team doesn't like, and I see how it can throw the other team off their game when you initiate that kind of thing, it usually works against you when you react to it..

...hate to say it, but I kinda like what I've seen so far, I don't watch hockey as an excuse to do math homework, and I find calculating zone exit stats is really only appealing when nothing FUN is happening in the game..so far Gudz has brought a little brohaha to the party, and I admit, I've been sniffing it out of a brown paper bag.
That's totally fair. However, if Biega continues to hit like a truck and make himself look like a starting defenceman by the time Stecher comes back, it would be interesting to see if Green would ever choose to sit Gudbranson if he doesn't like what he sees.

I used to really like physical defencemen, but when that is your primary attribute, I feel that something is missing. This game is getting faster and more reliant on the ability to move the puck. The archetype that Gudbranson fills may soon become a dying breed, almost like the enforcer years down the line. But that's just my opinion.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Posting memes is the way you gain "credibility" around here. . .

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Did i say i was smarter then the gms?
He must really luvvv Guddy. Why post an actual retort or try to defend the player - just criticize other poster's 'credibility'/ make up statements. Because that's not arrogance.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I like Gudbrsnson when he initiates violence. Unfortunately he seems to be very reasonable in general. Hope he catches Hall in the train tracks again. Must avenge Larsen hit. We need a couple people who are not nice guys and have ability to cause havoc. Think Virtanen likes being liked too much. He should finish more checks as well. Still team is tougher this year much better to watch.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I like Gudbrsnson when he initiates violence. Unfortunately he seems to be very reasonable in general. Hope he catches Hall in the train tracks again. Must avenge Larsen hit. We need a couple people who are not nice guys and have ability to cause havoc. Think Virtanen likes being liked too much. He should finish more checks as well. Still team is tougher this year much better to watch.
Agreed, I want to see more nastiness in his game. Thinking Mitchell or Juice

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I like a lot of what Gudbranson brings, but not enough to give him $4 or $5 million with term. If there are other teams out there that value him highly, I think the Canucks would do well to move him.

The game is changing, but I would guess there are still GMs out there that would pay a decent price at the deadline to add a young 4/5 defender that brings a physical element.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Yes. Unfortunately that response seems to be increased possession and shots against the canucks goaltender. I don't see any sort of other response that isn't the norm in hockey..somebody pushes you and you push back. There is nothing that scares the opposition or makes them wary of entering any areas of the ice.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

That's fine. I prefer a team that can win a Stanley Cup, and to build one of those you need defensemen who are good at gaining and maintaining possession of the puck, suppressing shot attempts against, and getting the puck out of the defensive zone. Gudbranson is good at none of those things, so in my mind he's not a good defenseman. You can be happy with a defenseman who's only good at skating around the defensive zone trying to hit other players while the other team gets their scoring chances. For me, I expect better.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gotta trade him asap for a mid-late round pick because theres clearly 6 d ahead of him and hes about even with another and once edler and the Stech are back thers just no way you can dress him so might as well trade him now before other teams see that we benched him as a healthy scratch

Tanev
Edler
DeZotto
Hutton
Stecher
Biega
Pouliot/Gudbranson

And Im being more then fair as i think hes actually below Pouiliot and Wierdcoch but NO WAY management does that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille