Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson - To trade or extend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Continue here...

Another graphic that doesn't have Guddy looking so gud... the Canucks have been an event-suppressing killjoy for the most part, but Gudbranson has been among the weaker players at doing this, while not offering much going forward in compensation:

chartingcanucks_zpsxb9ixeyc.png

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Gudbranson would be overpaid at $2M, let alone his current rate, or the expected raise Benning would give him. Please no extension.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yup... but it didnt happen.. also Extension Watch is more sphincter inducing..

Didn't happen, yes, but it's information that is key in determining where the Canucks are _likely_ to go with this player.

I do not see Gudbranson as a going concern for the Canucks for too much longer. They know what they have, and were ready to move it.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Didn't happen, yes, but it's information that is key in determining where the Canucks are _likely_ to go with this player.

I do not see Gudbranson as a going concern for the Canucks for too much longer. They know what they have, and were ready to move it.
Oh dear... i see you would of been my direct target audience for the jimmie rustling title joke.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Oh dear... i see you would of been my direct target audience for the jimmie rustling title joke.

Ah, you were joking then? You too expect him to be gone then (and are playing the part of an antagonist to "rustle jimmies")?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Some of us have been rough on him. Hes pretty good. I mean as a #9 on our team:

Tanev
Edler
deZotto
Hutton
Stecher
Biega
Pouliot
Wierdcoch
Gudbranson

Reactions: vancityluongo

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
But he is so big and tough? Guys like that are so incredibly important to have we can't lose them? Plus clearly he is a fan favorite and has endeared himself to the city.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
It's still so bizarre that Benning gave an RFA Gudbranson a one year deal to take him to UFA and then a few weeks ago he basically said that old-school defensive d-men like him aren't useful in today's NHL. If we're somewhat close to a playoff spot by the trade deadline we're definitely holding on to him until the end of the season unfortunately.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Can I get odds on Guddy threads vs Granlund threads for the season? The big cat seems to have everybody fired up.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It's still so bizarre that Benning gave an RFA Gudbranson a one year deal to take him to UFA and then a few weeks ago he basically said that old-school defensive d-men like him aren't useful in today's NHL. If we're somewhat close to a playoff spot by the trade deadline we're definitely holding on to him until the end of the season unfortunately.

Yep, because Benning is such a master orator right?
:D

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This is how it will likely go.
A team will probably have to be desperate and offer a great D prospect or a 1st if we're in such a position.

And with his transition controlled zone exit ratio relative to his teammates stat, that will not happen. But maybe possible if they look at GA.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Don't be fooled Gudbranson has been quietly effective up to now. Extend him at 4.25 x 5 for a fair deal.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Trade him or extend him for cheap is my hope. With that said I do like him and think he can be an effective Dman.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Its MOVEMBER! Guddy's time to shine. I will be tuning in tonight to check out what will assuredly be his greatest contribution to the team this year - his mustache. Hopefully the Province can take advantage of this with a few featured articles about him- maybe they could make a poster of just his face? I think he's going to have the coolest mustache on the team - he is such a classy and cool guy and he is so great in the community. I forgot - he is soooo big n tough as well.

Reactions: vancityluongo

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Trade him or extend him for cheap is my hope. With that said I do like him and think he can be an effective Dman.

$1 million per season or 2 years at $900,000 per season. Doesnt like it we can show him to the airport back to the echl :laugh:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
How much could this guy even be worth? He's basically a #4/5 defender with zero offensive skills and a bit of grit. He's replacement level ... you could find better defensemen for ~$3 million AAV (i.e. MDZ) on the free agent market. If he's got any sort of value you have to trade him because you literally just proved you can add assets and find better players in free agency.

We either grossly over-pay him or trade him, because Gudbranson still thinks he should get paid based on his jawline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->