News Article: Erik Cole on the trading block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I would be all for it but I doubt that SJ would bite.

agreed... though SJ's dmen have been very unproductive from the back end.

might be doable considering they only have 1 dman with any points on the Power play through almost 20 games of the season...

PricePkPatch*

I am willing to wait for Tinordi. Diaz, Emelin and Bouillon are doing a fine job in the current top 6.

Price is Price.

I really like (so does Therrien apparently) Prust on the top 3 lines; it does spread the toughness.

So a hockey trade, right now, would imply a forward in return but we have no room (assuming Eller keeps it up and Prust on 3rd) for another top 3 line player... maybe adding a guy like Lapierre (not necessarily him) on 4th?

4. Moen – Lapierre – White!

That said... unless Cole really wants out (he did hint at it during the lock out), his NTC is a major factor.

The way I got it, Cole did not wanted out of Montreal as much as he wanted out of the NHL.

If he is genuinely disgruntled @ the labor dispute, I doubt changing team will change that.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
not surprising...

cole's lockout commentary and his play to start the season dont' give the greatest confidence that he's as committed as he needs to be to deliver on the 2 years remaining on his big contract.

Not sure that we'll find a taker, though the bigger issue might end up being the NTC.

I could see a deal with SJ working out for both teams...

To SJ
Cole
Kaberle

To Mtl
Havlat
Murray

cole/havlat are a wash, with Havlat being 500K more/season... I think he'd do very well on Plekanec's wing, finally giving him a player with the vision/style to complement him skill-wise.

Murray would be 7th dman for us, but a nice insurance policy if injuries pop up (and perhaps making it easier for MT to give Markov the occasional game off to help rest his knee?)

SJ would probably scoff at the idea of taking back two contracts that will be on the books next year, so maybe we add a late pick or a depth prospect?

I don't see any reason why San Jose would want Kaberle.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
The way I got it, Cole did not wanted out of Montreal as much as he wanted out of the NHL.

If he is genuinely disgruntled @ the labor dispute, I doubt changing team will change that.

Exactly....

Cole is definitely a world class suck but he didn't have a problem with Montreal, he was just bawling about the CBA.

You are 95% right. He did mention the Quebec school system and how it may be better for his daughter to follow the regular US path.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Exactly....

Cole is definitely a world class suck but he didn't have a problem with Montreal, he was just bawling about the CBA.

PricePkPatch*

You are 95% right. He did mention the Quebec school system and how it may be better for his daughter to follow the regular US path.

Meh. Send her to private school or make her live in the US if he cares that much.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I would trade Cole for a 2nd round pick and a legitimate 3rd liner. If anything we could even consider moving Gabriel Dumont in the big league.

MauditGreek*

I hope not

I hope this is just an unfounded rumor. Cole may be slow to start but he is the prototypical hockey player and the kind of guy teams need to win

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I actually would trust Eklund more, that's how bad I think Garrioch is

As much as I can't stand Garrioch, Eklund is the lowest form of life in professional sports.

At least Garrioch potentially knows someone who once met the Aunt of a janitor who once had to clean a clogged toilet at the Bell center that was previously used by Erik Cole.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I hear Garrioch is as reliable as Eklund.

Not sure if it's possible but he might be even less reliable. Why anyone would report what he writes is beyond me.

Besides, the team is in a good position to make the playoffs and that's when I want Cole in the lineup.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Cole has not been as bad a people say. He's going to bounce back. He always does

There is some truth to that as he isn't actually a liability on the ice but he has two things going for him and that is size and speed and he is choosing not to use either of these assets to their respective potential.

The problem with Cole is he isn't really very skilled so his offensive contributions rely on him putting in the effort to outskate and overpower opponents. The fact that he can't be bothered to do either is what is particularily frustrating at this point in the season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I actually like Cole. I didn't like the signing because of his age but I like Cole. If we are going to deal him (and he'd have to waive his NTC) then it should only be on the prospect side. I don't see much point in dealing him for another vet. I'd prefer we just stay patient with him and let him come out of his slump. He might not be as good as his career year from last season but he's a lot better than we've seen so far this year.

Play him with Galchenyuk and Eller and he'll break out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad