News Article: Erik Cole on the trading block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
http://tvasports.ca/hockey/canadiens/cole-sur-le-marche-24022013

Cole on the market?

24 February 2013 at 12:15 | TVA Sports

Marc Bergevin might not have finished making changes to his lineup.

According to Bruce Garrioch of QMI Agency, the name of Erik Cole has been but on the trading market.

Bergevin would be willing to trade the veteran if he finds a buyer, should obviously a team shows interest.

With the disappointing start to the season (six points in 18 games) of the American, and considering his salary of $4.5 million per season, it could be a difficult task.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I stop taking this serious when you brought up Bruce Garrioch. LOL
I live in Ottawa and saw him once, he's fat, ugly and comes up with 20 trade rumors a day in the Ottawa Sun, none of which has ever come true. :shakehead

I think Eklund has hit 1 or 2 trade rumors for every 1000, Bruce Garrioch on the other hand has 0.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec

“Cole + Weber + a pick” is our new “Halak + Ryder + a pick”!

Cole out would allow Therrien to keep using Prust on the top 3 lines (spreading the toughness) but, depending on the return, it would also hurt us from a depth *1 perspective. If they ship him out, I hope for a “hockey trade” as in “something more than a salary dump and/or only a pick in return”.

*1 One of the main reasons behind our success is the internal and healthy competition Therrien was able to create. Without depth, it would disappear or, at best, it would become harder to maintain.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Oh god, don't read the comments at the bottom of the page :facepalm:

Back on topic, with his salary and 2 years left on his deal, we wouldn't get anthing significant for Cole and we don't have anyone to replace him right now if we trade him for prospects and picks. Plus I don't think we should be sellers right now.

So as long as we are in a playoff position, keep him and reevaluate this summer if he doesn't retire.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Didn't he want to go back to the U.S. so his daughter could go to school? Without the U.S. schools, she might become a Pejorative Slur like all of us poor Canadians.

Not really that. In Quebec, high school starts as soon as age 12. His daughter would be in high school next year at that age, while in the USA high school starts 2-3 years later and he said he was worried she won't get credit for it after they return to the USA in a few years.

Anyway, there's no way Cole accepts a trade during the season with how much of a family man he is. This is a non-story.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Not really that. In Quebec, high school starts as soon as age 12. His daughter would be in high school next year at that age, while in the USA high school starts 2-3 years later and he said he was worried she won't get credit for it after they return to the USA in a few years.

Anyway, there's no way Cole accepts a trade during the season with how much of a family man he is. This is a non-story.

It was sarcams, obviously.

PricePkPatch*

“Cole + Weber + a pick†is our new “Halak + Ryder + a pickâ€!

Cole out would allow Therrien to keep using Prust on the top 3 lines (spreading the toughness) but, depending on the return, it would also hurt us from a depth *1 perspective. If they ship him out, I hope for a “hockey trade†as in “something more than a salary dump and/or only a pick in returnâ€.

*1 One of the main reasons behind our success is the internal and healthy competition Therrien was able to create. Without depth, it would disappear or, at best, it would become harder to maintain.

Okay. Let's wait a minute. Seriously, what could we get for Cole+ that would make us a better team? What do we miss? Maybe a replacement for Gionta on the Pleky line?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
not surprising...

cole's lockout commentary and his play to start the season dont' give the greatest confidence that he's as committed as he needs to be to deliver on the 2 years remaining on his big contract.

Not sure that we'll find a taker, though the bigger issue might end up being the NTC.

I could see a deal with SJ working out for both teams...

To SJ
Cole
Kaberle

To Mtl
Havlat
Murray

cole/havlat are a wash, with Havlat being 500K more/season... I think he'd do very well on Plekanec's wing, finally giving him a player with the vision/style to complement him skill-wise.

Murray would be 7th dman for us, but a nice insurance policy if injuries pop up (and perhaps making it easier for MT to give Markov the occasional game off to help rest his knee?)

SJ would probably scoff at the idea of taking back two contracts that will be on the books next year, so maybe we add a late pick or a depth prospect?

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Okay. Let's wait a minute. Seriously, what could we get for Cole+ that would make us a better team? What do we miss? Maybe a replacement for Gionta on the Pleky line?

We would need a big two-way RW to play on the third line with Eller and Chucky... :sarcasm:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I'd trade him only if we weren't making the playoffs for a pick. Now I don't see what we could get in return that could help this season.

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
not surprising...

cole's lockout commentary and his play to start the season dont' give the greatest confidence that he's as committed as he needs to be to deliver on the 2 years remaining on his big contract.

Not sure that we'll find a taker, though the bigger issue might end up being the NTC.

I could see a deal with SJ working out for both teams...

To SJ
Cole
Kaberle

To Mtl
Havlat
Murray

cole/havlat are a wash, with Havlat being 500K more/season... I think he'd do very well on Plekanec's wing, finally giving him a player with the vision/style to complement him skill-wise.

Murray would be 7th dman for us, but a nice insurance policy if injuries pop up (and perhaps making it easier for MT to give Markov the occasional game off to help rest his knee?)

SJ would probably scoff at the idea of taking back two contracts that will be on the books next year, so maybe we add a late pick or a depth prospect?

I would be all for it but I doubt that SJ would bite.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec

I am willing to wait for Tinordi. Diaz, Emelin and Bouillon are doing a fine job in the current top 6.

Price is Price.

I really like (so does Therrien apparently) Prust on the top 3 lines; it does spread the toughness.

So a hockey trade, right now, would imply a forward in return but we have no room (assuming Eller keeps it up and Prust on 3rd) for another top 3 line player... maybe adding a guy like Lapierre (not necessarily him) on 4th?

4. Moen – Lapierre – White!

That said... unless Cole really wants out (he did hint at it during the lock out), his NTC is a major factor.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Garrioch is much like Al Strachan where he works in a large hockey market but is basically a dork and a journalist before he is a sports person. He has absolutely no connections and the players can't stand him. Guys like this can't develop connections within the tight knit sporting circles because they are simply too nerdy and wimpy.

I know what I am posting sounds like an adolescent rant but it is essentially the truth. Garrioch and his ilk are left to invent scenarios based on their personal observations. When a player is struggling they will always suggest that there is a potential trade in the works without an ounce of proof to support their theory.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I made mention of this in the Cole thread.

Garrioche has all the credibility of the guy at your work who cranks out what if trade scenarios except his writes for a paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad