Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Wolanin can play right, looking forward to him getting healthy and adding another puck mover. The back end looks good lots if talent coming.

Apparently Brännström has played the right side a significant amount in his pro career.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He's surviving out there but certain not thriving.

He's been better defensively than I thought he would and he's been slightly underwhelming offensively.

I still think he'd be better off in the A because right now he's not playing with confidence

Reactions: 18Hossa

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's surviving out there but certain not thriving.

He's been better defensively than I thought he would and he's been slightly underwhelming offensively.

I still think he'd be better off in the A because right now he's not playing with confidence

Nope, he is playing with Hainsey! :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think Brannstrom is doing bad and is solid but I worry his early inclusion to the line-up may effect his offense.

I think Belleville running the Pp and PK and first line pairing is going to do better for his development then current situation.

He is a lock for this team for a long time and will be top d-man for this team and honestly he probably could do it now but I think some more seasoning won't hurt.

I don't see Brannstrom as a top Dman on a good NHL team.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't see Brannstrom as a top Dman on a good NHL team.

Maybe, but at least he’s a rookie, has flashes of excellence, and is surprisingly good in his own end. I think playing with Hainsey may be a bit of an issue. I suspect that he has a wealth of veteran experience to pass on, but he’s not very good anymore, it’s not like brining in Gonchar. I thought he would be better, but I’m far happier that Z has been a steal so far.

I wonder if DeMelo would be a better partner, or better yet, send him back to the AHL when Wolanin is back.

I see great potential in him, but he’s not there yet.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
He has flash on offence, is solid on D. For exemple i found that he played vs Arizona a pretty good game (except this big mistake at the end, horrendious this to).
It's hard for a young guy to take confidence with this level of skill forward. There are very few players in this Ottawa team who have skill with the puck, they manipulate it like a grenade. You need to do 90% of the work and hope the forward finish him (big example is the Tierney goal, thanks to Chabot).
It's a difficult environment to develop well as a young player and even harder to take confidence.

If EB plays 0 time or 20s on PP each game i don't see the point to keep him with Ottawa. PP is his best asset.

Reactions: NB613

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I doubt that he becomes a top 4D on a very good NHL team.

He looks like a solid smart player, Rookie D men always have a learning curve, some young guys hit the NHL running with “points” but they do not defend for crap. He seems like he plays the right way.
Points don’t always win, EK pulled the classic 2 points and a -3 last game in a one goal loss... We need a dman that makes the safe smart plays. TC can run and gun most teams suffer when it’s all run and gun. I don’t see why his ceiling isn’t top 4

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
He has flash on offence, is solid on D. For exemple i found that he played vs Arizona a pretty good game (except this big mistake at the end, horrendious this to).
It's hard for a young guy to take confidence with this level of skill forward. There are very few players in this Ottawa team who have skill with the puck, they manipulate it like a grenade. You need to do 90% of the work and hope the forward finish him (big example is the Tierney goal, thanks to Chabot).
It's a difficult environment to develop well as a young player and even harder to take confidence.

If EB plays 0 time or 20s on PP each game i don't see the point to keep him with Ottawa. PP is his best asset.

This. As great as Chabot is, the PP has not been his greatest strength. Of course Chabot will always be our number one D, but I wonder if Brännström might be a better PP option down the road. He's shown a some real flashes of brilliance.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Dorion traded Mark ****ing Stone for this guy
I think you missed the point, Dorion had to trade Stone and was abble to catch a very good prospect on D. If no trade had occured you would have lost Stone for ****ing nothing on the FA or an average prospect.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
This. As great as Chabot is, the PP has not been his greatest strength. Of course Chabot will always be our number one D, but I wonder if Brännström might be a better PP option down the road. He's shown a some real flashes of brilliance.

Chabot is good on PP, EB is good too and giving him no time or 20/30s is a waste of talent and time.
Either you make a PP with the two, or 1mn each or send EB to Belleville.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Definitely a disappointment so far but it’s early. I’ll give him the season to get to a point where I’m impressed and satisfied as a return for one of our best playera of all time.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hi

I do not think Brannstrom will ever be a better option than Chabot on the PP; however he might be a good option playing with Chabot on the PP, or playing on the second PP unit. I prefer offensively skilled Ds at the point on the PP rather than forwards.

My fear with Brannstrom is that he will not be able to stand up physically to bigger forwards, particularly during playoff hockey where the physical play increases significantly. I think he will be vulnerable to injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad