Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Historically, I agree with most of your opinions, but I think you are way off base here. Brannstrom has elite skating, but also top shelf IQ on top of that (something Gardiner not only doesn't have, but he is known for making some pretty brain dead decisions.)

I agree that Brannstrom doesn't have game breaking offense like Klingberg for example, but I think he does turn into a consistent mid 40 to 50 point guy. Gardiner has broke 40 points twice in his career and he is 29. Brannstrom will have just turned 20 at the start of this season, and is probably going to play most of, if not all the season with the big team.

He is much better defensively than you are giving him credit for. Yes, a lot of that is skating, but he has an active stick, and his positioning is rock solid. Krug is the absolute perfect comparison. Guys known for their offense, but are very underrated with their defensive game. Erik has some bite to his game just like Torey does, and unlike Gardiner, you will never have to question Brannstrom's compete.

I think “elite skating” and “top shelf IQ” are not on display at this time. I have seen the best defensemen in the league for more than 60 years and he has a way to go before meeting those standards.

Plus his diminutive size is a concern in the NHL playing against the bigger stronger faster forwards. I am hoping he progresses to become an NHL defenseman, but he does not appear to be the next Orr, Lidstrom, Potvin, Coffey, Sjalming, Robinson, Housley, Karlsson, etc.

Reactions: Yak

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's not that being soft, a soft player would't even try to chase and hit the player to prevent the goal (luckily it was the end because it could have been a penalty, he can be mean and vindictive sometimes, an issue on which he worked on with Chicago Wolf coach last year).

You were here calling him soft before even seeing play, his size is the real problem you have with him not his supposed softness. And it's ok. You have a type. But to be clear all small players are not soft and all BIG players are not rough. It's a temper thing.
I watched him at the development camp, I watched him at the rookie tournament, I watched him in a exhibition game & I have now watched him in two NHL regular season games & I watched him in a couple of games last yr.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Brannstrom was over 6'3'' and had played exactly the same way he did the last few games, Aragorn would be here praising him every chance he gets. :laugh:
Again you have no idea what you're talking about comme d'habitude.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He kinda surprised me defensively and looks calm but I haven’t seen the offence yet.
Same here. He handles forecheckers with 30+ pounds on him very well in his own end. And he transitions the puck very well. I hope they keep giving him a lot of minutes and PP opportunity because once he gets confidence at this level I think the offence will come.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
I watched him at the development camp, I watched him at the rookie tournament, I watched him in a exhibition game & I have now watched him in two NHL regular season games & I watched him in a couple of games last yr.

Ok so it's just that you don't know what being soft mean.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Same here. He handles forecheckers with 30+ pounds on him very well in his own end. And he transitions the puck very well. I hope they keep giving him a lot of minutes and PP opportunity because once he gets confidence at this level I think the offence will come.

I hope the same because if he can't do more on offense he won't succeed in NHL. For now his game on PP is poor, he doesn't dare and plays safe. He prefers make a pass but he should move more with the puck.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He’s definitely an NHLer imo.

Fast learner too.

I’m excited for Wolanin’s return, hopefully he bumps Boro out the lineup and we can roll this:

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Hainsey
Wolanin-DeMelo

Reactions: NB613 and Crosside

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
He’s definitely an NHLer imo.

Fast learner too.

I’m excited for Wolanin’s return, hopefully he bumps Boro out the lineup and we can roll this:

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Hainsey
Wolanin-DeMelo
He, yeah definitely looks like he belongs in the top 4. Add JBD and Lajoie, and we can soon have:

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - JBD
Wolanin - DeMelo
Lajoie (and Lassi soon after!)

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I like what ive seen. Hes got the raw tools but its going to take a few seasons.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Is it just me or is he not as good a skater as he was advertised?

He's pretty good, definitely not outstanding.

He's very efficient in his strides which makes me think his skating could turn into a real strength once he gets used to the NHL. Give it about two years.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It's either just you or maybe you heard him being advertised as an elite skater or something. All around, he is a very strong skater for sure.

Not elite skater, but more mobile for sure. He'll need to be a lot more mobile than he's shown since he's so small.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Honestly for his development I thought they would send him to Belville and let him dominate in the AHL.

Work on his game, speed, confidence and dominate down their for the year.

Throwing him to the wolves in a Tank year is very dangerous game to play and we seen this before we Ceci , Jared Cowan, Brian Lee, Lazar and company. Is not the year to develop when you know is going to be a slaughter on a regular basis what are prospects going to learn from that.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Not elite skater, but more mobile for sure. He'll need to be a lot more mobile than he's shown since he's so small.
I dont think he's small per se. Short maybe but not small. I see him listed at 5 foot 10 and 181. That's pretty thick for 5 foot 10 and he'll likely settle at 7 to 10 pounds heavier than that.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Honestly for his development I thought they would send him to Belville and let him dominate in the AHL.

Work on his game, speed, confidence and dominate down their for the year.

Throwing him to the wolves in a Tank year is very dangerous game to play and we seen this before we Ceci , Jared Cowan, Brian Lee, Lazar and company. Is not the year to develop when you know is going to be a slaughter on a regular basis what are prospects going to learn from that.

If he's going to meet the potential that he was advertised then it shouldn't matter. Chabot didn't do much time in the AHL and played on a terrible team, it didn't matter. For star players it rarely matters.

Not to mention the only one of those guys that were thrown to the wolves was Ceci, Cowen's development was derailed because he missed significant time due to injuries, and Lazar was buried on the 4th line with offensive black holes for linemates.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
This guy gonna be a serious player. Very calm and composed defensively and in the neutral zone. What I also love is his composure holding the line. I love how he's playing in Chabot's shadow and can ease into his game and grow in his own time.
Yeah, he doesn't look out of place in the top 4.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I thought Brannstrom got owned this afternoon in his own end a number of times by Maroon & Killorn down low & in front of his own net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad