Erie Otters 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Any guesses for captains?

I think Terrance for C, Sova/Fimis/Alfano as alternates. But wouldn’t be surprised to see Johnston/Bressette on there as OAs. Hoping Carey takes the next step and gets the C

I would say Terrance is close to a lock as captain.

A - Spence, Sova, and maybe Alfano.

I can't see Johnston and/or Bressette mostly because it's been said Stan doesn't like OA captains and I am not entirely sure one or both will be here at the end of the season.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Going on the record to say I always get these predictions wrong, but will still post for a good February laugh.

Leading Scorer - Misiak
Most Improved - Molnar because he has a lot to prove and with Misiak, it will boost his confidence. I think McDonald will take a jump in his game. He’s not flashy, but I think he will take on a center role or a wing role. Or the Otters will trade him by December who knows!
Most Surprising - Gibbons. He looked good in preseason. I really think he has the ability to make the jump. Goaltending is shaky at best and I think Gibbons could steal a few games. He’s big and is thrilled to be on the team. I hope he embraces the opportunity and runs with it.

Record: 33-28-4-3

There’s no reason for us to not be a .500 team or better this year.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I would say Terrance is close to a lock as captain.

A - Spence, Sova, and maybe Alfano.

I can't see Johnston and/or Bressette mostly because it's been said Stan doesn't like OA captains and I am not entirely sure one or both will be here at the end of the season.
I prefer not to have them as OAs either but if you’re 20-21 years old, you would think you have some experience or some leadership. I’m not predicting it with either but at the same time, it’s not shocking if one of them were. I hope Spence joins the leadership group as well, but Fimis and Sova have worn the A previously at this level. I think there are some decent options either way. Leadership has been mostly lacking in recent years. It’s hard when you aren’t winning but I think having 2/3 guys really take over the locker room is what this team needs, along with a steady, competent coach

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
First off...

Congrats to the Erie Seawolves on their win and taking home the Championship last night!

Now, onto the hockey...DB and Stan were in attendance to cheer on the team and briefly talking to them Stan said look to see 2 or 3 different teams this season...

1st will be opening day roster/team
2nd will be at the trade deadline
3rd will be the final product for playoffs

I guess if that's his goal, we know the moves are not completed yet and he has every bit of confidence this team will be shaping up to be a playoff team and willing to move pieces to solidify it when they get in.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
First off...

Congrats to the Erie Seawolves on their win and taking home the Championship last night!

Now, onto the hockey...DB and Stan were in attendance to cheer on the team and briefly talking to them Stan said look to see 2 or 3 different teams this season...

1st will be opening day roster/team
2nd will be at the trade deadline
3rd will be the final product for playoffs

I guess if that's his goal, we know the moves are not completed yet and he has every bit of confidence this team will be shaping up to be a playoff team and willing to move pieces to solidify it when they get in.
DB said in his preseason convo with Mark that they basically kept 2 OAs because 1) the younger guys are further along than expected (good sign there) and 2) referenced the flexibility that offers them at the deadline to add

Certainly OAs cost a bit less in terms of trade assets so from that standpoint, it makes sense. I think we could easily see them add an OA by the deadline, move on from an OA in favor of youth if the team direction allows for that, or consider other options for the future but also this year

I’m going to have a write up shortly about the floor vs ceiling of this team because I think it’s the biggest gap since the rebuild, meaning they have a chance to be pretty good

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
My last thoughts before the season starts, which is what I said a few months back: Spence, Sova, Lalonde imo are 3 most important players for this team in terms of floor vs ceiling. If at the end of the year, Spence established himself as a PPG player, Sova is a legit 1/2, and Lalonde is at least middle of the pack among starters - then Erie probably had a successful season. Conversely, if those 3 don’t perform, particularly with Sova and Lalonde, I don’t see how they can be anything more than a team fighting around a 7-9 seed yet again.

If you look back on the best team since the rebuild, 2019-20, that team went 26-26-4-7 in a COVID shortened year and in a tough division with what we now know is a bad head coach and probably a bad coaching staff overall. They also lost what seemed like a record amount of extra time, close games. This Erie roster has a chance to be at least as talented collectively as that team but imo has far more depth. Not to mention their coaching, even if average, is better than what they had in 2019-20 since that’s a low bar to cross. Imo having a full season of games, more depth, and a better coaching staff could equate to 10-15 more wins compared to that 2019-20 team.

I also want to put on the record that there are no longer size issues with this team. In 2019-20, Erie had 5 players (4 forwards) that were 5’9 or below and a total of 12 players that were 5’11 or below. Around that time, I said they needed to address this and flip the roster but that it would take time - you can’t just completely flip the roster overnight. They started making some progress in 2021-2022, having 6 players (all forwards) at 5’9 or below and a total of 8 players that were 5’11 or below. But I said from the beginning it would probably be an issue until 2022 or 2023 because it takes time to correct those numbers. Now, here we are. Yes, the SB hiring helped but it was already trending this way for a while and DB has been on record with it. Regardless of SB, they would be in this spot. The start of this year, there will be a maximum of 2 players (Bressette, Edwards) at 5’9 or below and only 5 players (all forwards) at 5’11 or below. This is very much normal when compared to much of the league and they no longer have size issues.

I think the combination of more size, potential for more high end talent, better depth overall, and a steady, veteran coach could see the team surprise everyone. The hard part is they play in the toughest division vs for example, like playing in the East division, which probably gives them at least 4-5 more wins. Combine a tough division with the last 5 years, basically resulting in a losing culture and PTSD, and it gives me some pause. It wouldn’t shock me if this team competes for a 4-5 seed, assuming a lot of things go right. I am predicting them to be closer to a 7th seed because of the last 5 years. But I’ll admit, the vibe with this team overall feels promising.

Reactions: Mata

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
Thoughts on the C and A’s?

I’m a bit surprised Sova got the C, even though Butler has usually gone with a 19-year-old in that role.

The rest of the picks made sense to me.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Thoughts on the C and A’s?

I’m a bit surprised Sova got the C, even though Butler has usually gone with a 19-year-old in that role.

The rest of the picks made sense to me.

I think you could flip a coin between Sova and Terrance getting the C and there would have been little to no disappointment in either scenario.

That being said, the only confusing part for me is the number of C + A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad