Erie Otters 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Reactions: You Otter Be There

You Otter Be There

Oct 8, 2020
Pottstown, PA
Does anyone know how many they had last year for comparison?
Erie Otters:

Main Camp (5):

Sam Alfano, New York Rangers, Free agent invite (returned to ER Sept. 24)
Jamie Drysdale, Anaheim Ducks, 1st round ’20 – Signed
Christian Kyrou, Dallas Stars, 2nd round ’22 (returned to ER Sept. 27)
Nolan Lalonde, Columbus Blue Jackets, Free agent invite – Signed (returned to ER Oct. 3)
Spencer Sova, Buffalo Sabres, Free agent invite (returned to ER Sept. 28)

Rookie Camp/Prospects Tournament (3):
Sam Alfano, New York Rangers, Free agent invite
Christian Kyrou, Dallas Stars, 2nd round ’22
Spencer Sova, Buffalo Sabres, Free agent invite

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
My friends from the great commonwealth of Pennsylvania...
I'm here to inform you that the London @ Erie game (from St. Thomas, ON) is available free on CHL TV tonight at 7:00 pm.
You already know that? Then I will show myself out.

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Alright folks, regular season is here and it’s prediction time. It’s hard to be confident in this team unless or until they actually show the results. But with the addition of Misiak, this has to be the most skilled forward group since at least 2019-20, but probably even going back to 2016-17. No, they are not near the level of the 2013-2017 groups but they are at least better than what they have had since that time. The question with the defense and goaltending remains for me but DB went out and hired a defensive coach and built the whole coaching staff like it’s 2005, so they better benefit from that decision - regardless of inexperience on the backend. If the goalies can’t perform this year, Shane Clifford has to go and it’s time to yet again reset there. At some point the results need to show. I was hoping Spence would take a big year 2 leep but not sure I see it or am as confident as a I was over the summer. Doesn’t mean I think he will regress or be irrelevant but I’ve cooled on my expectations with him. Regardless, there is some collection of talent with Spence, Terrance, Misiak and then another tier of Fimis, Molnar, Bressette, Alfano. There’s some depth to be hopeful in the forward group. With a good defense, this is probably a sneaky good team but I just don’t see it given the inexperience on the backend and the question marks in net

My predictions:

Leading scorer - Terrance
Most improved - Molnar
Most surprising - Henry

Record: 32-30-4-2

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Alright folks, regular season is here and it’s prediction time. It’s hard to be confident in this team unless or until they actually show the results. But with the addition of Misiak, this has to be the most skilled forward group since at least 2019-20, but probably even going back to 2016-17. No, they are not near the level of the 2013-2017 groups but they are at least better than what they have had since that time. The question with the defense and goaltending remains for me but DB went out and hired a defensive coach and built the whole coaching staff like it’s 2005, so they better benefit from that decision - regardless of inexperience on the backend. If the goalies can’t perform this year, Shane Clifford has to go and it’s time to yet again reset there. At some point the results need to show. I was hoping Spence would take a big year 2 leep but not sure I see it or am as confident as a I was over the summer. Doesn’t mean I think he will regress or be irrelevant but I’ve cooled on my expectations with him. Regardless, there is some collection of talent with Spence, Terrance, Misiak and then another tier of Fimis, Molnar, Bressette, Alfano. There’s some depth to be hopeful in the forward group. With a good defense, this is probably a sneaky good team but I just don’t see it given the inexperience on the backend and the question marks in net

My predictions:

Leading scorer - Terrance
Most improved - Molnar
Most surprising - Henry

Record: 32-30-4-2

I was waiting for this!!! Hahaha, almost tagged you to post it!

Leading Scorer - Misiak
Most Improved - Fimis
Most Surprising - Gibbons
Best Rookie - Schaefer

Record: 33-28-3-4

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I was waiting for this!!! Hahaha, almost tagged you to post it!

Leading Scorer - Misiak
Most Improved - Fimis
Most Surprising - Gibbons
Best Rookie - Schaefer

Record: 33-28-3-4
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Only left off the rookie because it will likely be if not guaranteed to be Schaefer but outside of him, I’ll say Hammond or Henry

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Only left off the rookie because it will likely be if not guaranteed to be Schaefer but outside of him, I’ll say Hammond or Henry

Can we consider Henry and Holomego rookies? I think they each had a few games last season.

I'm all for it just for the fun and games in which case I'm going Henry. There's just something about his game I really appreciate.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Can we consider Henry and Holomego rookies? I think they each had a few games last season.

I'm all for it just for the fun and games in which case I'm going Henry. There's just something about his game I really appreciate.
I think by definition they still would be. For Henry, he is still 17 years old and only played 3 games last year in call up duty. Idk what the cut off is but I know they have that 10 game rule with roster cards so I would assume that you need at least 10 games the prior year. OHL website listed Henry as rookie for the preseason. Same with Holomego.

Henry grew 3 inches and gained about 20lbs since his draft year. Kind of gives me Sambrook vibes?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This is the most optimistic I've been about an Otters team since 2016-17 honestly. I don't foresee them as a legitimate contender but they should win at least 30 games and be in the 5-7 range in the West.

The forward group is very talented and it's definitely their best group since 16-17. Misiak is legit and I think he is going to revitalize Molnar as well. It looks like they went with combos in the pre-season of Misiak/Molnar, Spence/Terrance, and Fimis/Bressette. This should give them three good scoring lines. The depth on the 4th line should be solid.

I am optimistic about the D group as well. I think Sova is a legit top pairing dman, Schaefer is really talented, and the depth is there. They need one of Sauder/Alboim to emerge into a 2nd pairing guy and one of Henry/Holomego to become an everyday 3rd pairing guy. Daviault is a bit of a wild card, he's talented but struggled badly defensively last season. He could add a lot to this group.

The goaltending is easily the biggest question mark of this roster. We know Lalonde is talented, he looked decent in his first season here (especially considering how many games he played), but last season was a huge step back. He looked good in limited pre-season action, we'll see if that holds up. I think he still has starter upside. I don't think Downey is more than a solid back-up and is probably only on the roster as long as they need the insurance. Gibbons is the wild card here. He is huge and definitely the most talented of the group. He is still only 16 and not draft eligible until next season. He looked excellent in pre-season action, we'll see if he's ready. If Lalonde/Gibbons both play to their potential, the goaltending should be at least league average, perhaps better. If they regress/struggle again, it's time to make a change with how goalies are coached.

I am actually glad to have Butler here this season. I do share the concerns about his style in the modern age, but there is no denying his experience and ability to develop players into pros. I think he will command respect in the room more than our past two coaches and I am much more optimistic about the state of the team under him. I don't think he's the long term solution but I'm glad to have him here for this season.

Leading scorer - Molnar
Most improved - Molnar
Most surprising - Alfano (I think he's getting stapled to either Misiak/Molnar or Spence/Terrance and puts up near PPG numbers)

Record: 34 - 29 - 2 - 3

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Predictions on lines when all the boys are in town? I'll take the first stab...

Misiak-Molnar-Alfano
Terrance-Spence-Smith
Fimis-Bressette-Artichuk
McDonald-Edwards-Hammond
Toropstev-Roysten

I feel they could look to move Edwards, McDonald and Artichuk if any of these three Hammond/Roysten/Toroptsev step up. McDonald as an '04 being the most likely to go (Fimis, Smith, and Alfano are also '04). Otherwise Roysten is sent down for a year of development and I see Messier as the odd man out in the center/fwd position.

Sova/Daviault
Johnston/Schaefer
Henry and either Albloim/Sauder
Holomego for me is odd man out until a trade is made on either Johnston, Alboim, Daviault, or Sauder.

Lalonde
Gibbons
Downey is odd man out here...

Reactions: OttersFan

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
I can't believe Roysten would be a healthy scratch in favor of Edwards getting playing time. Holomego was the biggest surprise of the preseason for me.
Terrance-Spence-Alfano
Misiak-Molnar-Smith
Fimis-Bressette-Royston
McDonald-Artichuk-Toropsev-Hammond-Edwards-Messier

Sova-Johnston
Sauder-Schaefer
Daviault-Aboim
Holomego-Henry

I'd love to see them move 2 of the 18yo dmen(Daviault and Alboim) for a legit top 4 dman to pair with Schaefer and have Sauder pair with Henry and Holomego on the 3rd pair.
Lalonde and Gibbons in net.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I can't believe Roysten would be a healthy scratch in favor of Edwards getting playing time. Holomego was the biggest surprise of the preseason for me.
Terrance-Spence-Alfano
Misiak-Molnar-Smith
Fimis-Bressette-Royston
McDonald-Artichuk-Toropsev-Hammond-Edwards-Messier

Sova-Johnston
Sauder-Schaefer
Daviault-Aboim
Holomego-Henry

I'd love to see them move 2 of the 18yo dmen(Daviault and Alboim) for a legit top 4 dman to pair with Schaefer and have Sauder pair with Henry and Holomego on the 3rd pair.
Lalonde and Gibbons in net.

If Royston is on par with Edwards, then Roysten all the way but as an '07 if he's not an every night player on at least the 4th line then no need to rush him if he's not ready. That's my reasoning. Same could be said of the '05s really.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Any guesses for captains?

I think Terrance for C, Sova/Fimis/Alfano as alternates. But wouldn’t be surprised to see Johnston/Bressette on there as OAs. Hoping Carey takes the next step and gets the C

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
If Royston is on par with Edwards, then Roysten all the way but as an '07 if he's not an every night player on at least the 4th line then no need to rush him if he's not ready. That's my reasoning. Same could be said of the '05s really.
I agree with this. Royston looks good, but given he’s an ‘07 there’s no sense to burn him out if he could benefit from an extra year of development. Most of the time the youngest year group is healthy scratched. Butler might be different though.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Any guesses for captains?

I think Terrance for C, Sova/Fimis/Alfano as alternates. But wouldn’t be surprised to see Johnston/Bressette on there as OAs. Hoping Carey takes the next step and gets the C
I think Terrance for C, Fimis, Bresette, Johnson as alternates.

Sova is good, but he didn’t really “wow” me in training camp or preseason. I know he’s talented and maybe he was overshadowed to me because of Schaefer’s presence.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I expected more from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad