Erie Otters 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
My observations from this weekend: goaltenders all played well. Your comment about Lalonde surprised me Mata. At that point in the game the only goal he gave up was on a penalty shot. Holomego has been a pleasant surprise. Royston is going to be a beast. Misiak and Schaefer are as advertised. Going to be fun watching them play. I don't see a spot for Saganiuk on the team. We have Terrance, Misiak and Fimis at center. Unless they move one of those 3 to wing, which is possible. If not for the draft pick we'd owe London, Gilmartin would be my pick for the 3rd overager. Anyone know if Johnston is hurt? He was the only Otter not to suit up this weekend.

In the first 10 he saw little action, yes I don't disagree. However, his puck play was very shaky, especially the one that bounced over his stick. He corralled it of the boards towards the front of the net with a Sarnia player extremely close to him.

However, after that silly misplay, I agree he became more steady and found a groove coming up with some really good saves in heavy traffic.

Reactions: ZinErie

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I could see Gilmartin being both cut and making it. Cut because giving up a 3rd would be awful, however he is a very smart player. His assist to Sova was a brilliant cross ice pass. He seems to always be involved in the play.

I guess what's off for me is he didn't play with that edge he had last season that either set up success or being kicked out of games lol.

You can tell Henry and Holomego are being thrown into the fire. I felt like Holomego, if he plays like he did today, can be a steady back liner this season. He was more composed and bailed Henry out a couple times.

This team could have some very serious depth. Loved watching Toropsov and Roysten today and honestly if both Saganiuk and Gilmartin are gone, I'd probably trust in SB.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
It’s been a long time since waking up the next day and still being excited for this team. I’m not getting my hopes up since it’s only preseason, but after speaking to the team and watching them on the ice, this is going to be a special season. Now, we’re not going straight to the OHL championship game, but it’s refreshing to see a team playing together with composure. We didn’t have an official lineup of course, but watching them play both nights missing key players has to lead one to believe there’s been improvement over the summer.

There’s some depth on this team and I think Butler is performing as advertised to turn this team around. They’re buying into his system.

Many of the players at the meet and greet were relieved that Hartsburg is gone.

Molnar promised last season that he would be better this year and I think he stayed true to his word. He has to be on a line with Misiak.

Toroptsev looks promising. He had a great training camp and rightfully earned his spot.

Royston is quick.

I expected more from Spence, but it’s also preseason. It’s no surprise that he’s good, but I think he has another level in him.

The back end in general looks more put together and have bailed each other out. Henry in particular looks like he got bigger and more comfortable.

Schaefer as advertised.

Edwards had a great training camp. I can tell he’s improved and I’ve noticed he’s getting in the little areas and crashing the net more often.

Smith has never been a flashy player, but he’s consistent. He has stability which I think is good for this team. His family travels in large packs to home and away games.

Artichuk playing center is interesting. He’s won face offs. Could he be our 4th line center? Or does the verdict come down to him vs McDonald for the final spot?

Johnson is on this team. We didn’t see him play, but he could easily bump out Sauder, Alboim, or Holomego.

Goalies looked better than before and we have upcoming talent in Fletcher who is in our system.

Reactions: hellwar9 and Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Is owain Johnston going to be one of your overages?
This has been discussed at length on this thread (see above).

Yes, he likely will be considering Erie has more depth in the forward group and is younger or more inexpensive on the backend

Monster66

Aug 31, 2022

It’s the preseason, folks. Doesn’t really matter how they look when half the team isn’t playing, it’s the first game, and I don’t know much about Brantford but doubt they were full lineup.

Yes, seeing structure and discipline and some skill is good. But it’s a long season that hasn’t even started and when adversity hits, let’s see how they’ll respond.
100%. You can put very little stock into preseason outcomes. Yes, you can identify some good pieces and start to imagine how things might look and playout but I have been following the OHL for a long time and one thing I've learned is the preseason is nothing like the beginning of the regular season and even more not like it is after the xmas break and well, you get the point. But there's nothing wrong with being optimistic for what might be dare I say it... "A playoff team"???

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Saganiuk and Gilmartin are no longer listed on Erie's preseason roster. Anyone hear anything?
No but I guess it’s possible they just go with 2 OAs.. we didn’t really consider that possibility. I had Saganiuk making it because I think he fits better as a 3rd liner and gives the team some solid depth but maybe they feel better about their younger forwards than we do?

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
This doesn't surprise me. Butler likes big, disciplined forwards. We have 3 centers ahead of Saganiuk and he is small. Gilmartin was undisciplined and would have required giving up a 3rd round pick. They could trade for a better player/fit now or at the deadline if it makes sense then.

Reactions: OttersFan and Mata

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Saganiuk and Gilmartin are no longer listed on Erie's preseason roster. Anyone hear anything?
they were waived a bit ago. with gilmartin they didnt want to have to pay the 3rd to roster him this year. saganiuk it was just working. hes just too small and didnt grow.

Reactions: NOA

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
No but I guess it’s possible they just go with 2 OAs.. we didn’t really consider that possibility. I had Saganiuk making it because I think he fits better as a 3rd liner and gives the team some solid depth but maybe they feel better about their younger forwards than we do?
If you’re down to 2 OA’s I’d bet T bone Codd would be a decent (and decently cheap) add for you guys. Would love to see him land with someone and have a good season.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
If you’re down to 2 OA’s I’d bet T bone Codd would be a decent (and decently cheap) add for you guys. Would love to see him land with someone and have a good season.
Anything is possible, but they'll probably just let it play out. See if the need is upfront or on the backend later in the season. They're probably making a deal as I type this, lol.

Reactions: NOA

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
not a butler type, theyd go after someone like lawrence out of owen sound, but i think they just want guys like spence to play more and maybe add an overage at the deadline on the cheap

Reactions: ZinErie

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
Why can't the just officially announce Gilmartin and Saginuk have been waived? What is the big secret?

Anyway, is Holomego really 6'5?

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
not a butler type, theyd go after someone like lawrence out of owen sound, but i think they just want guys like spence to play more and maybe add an overage at the deadline on the cheap
Probably the most likely. Gilmartin and Saganiuk are both fine 3rd line options so I don’t see the need to waste assets to replace that. If you don’t want to keep them, fine by me. But replacing them right now wouldn’t make sense. If they go add OA on the backend, that makes more sense and would be understandable but I think the logical thing would be just wait, be patient, and play your current roster with 2 OAs. You can add later if you think you need to. Hopefully this means some younger guys have improved and they feel good about depth without another OA forward crowding things

Why can't the just officially announce Gilmartin and Saginuk have been waived? What is the big secret?

Because these are kids so they usually don’t press release “hey, we just released these players!” I mean sometimes they will say “reassigned” or use soft language but maybe they are waiting until the waivers play out so they can soften the tone of the moves. Idk

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

Holomego is a super tall guy but I've never personally measured him. Could he be near 6'5. I could see him being the tallest on the roster.

Now that we are down to

15F
8D
3G

Are we looking at trades next? I think in years past we've run around 12/6 for games with sometimes the added forward or bonus defender based on injury. This roster will likely need to he slimmed a little further.

Offensively I see some options to be sent down, but defensively are we sending Henry and Holomego down for their 2nd season in a row?

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Holomego is a super tall guy but I've never personally measured him. Could he be near 6'5. I could see him being the tallest on the roster.

Now that we are down to

15F
8D
3G

Are we looking at trades next? I think in years past we've run around 12/6 for games with sometimes the added forward or bonus defender based on injury. This roster will likely need to he slimmed a little further.

Offensively I see some options to be sent down, but defensively are we sending Henry and Holomego down for their 2nd season in a row?
I could see us carrying 8 defensemen or trading of the 3 05 defensemen.

One of the 3 05's.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

One of the 3 05's.
Yeah I think roster limits 25 on active roster at any time. It might even be 24. Either way, they have 1 too many as it is with 3 goalies. I also can’t imagine they carry 15 forwards unless there are injuries. One would expect 2-3 more moves coming before reg season but they have time

Reactions: Mata and ZinErie

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
6 Otters off to development camps. Terrance to Stars, Misiak with Blackhawks, Sova to Leafs, Alfano to Kings, Lalonde to Bluejackets and Fimis with the Penguins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad