Erie Otters 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Teams were allowed to place players on a "special import list" if they didn't report in the Covid year, allowing teams to retain their rights. So Erie now has their previous picks on the special import list, plus this year's picks. In the hypothetical scenario that everyone suddenly decides to come, I believe they'd be allowed to bring all 4 to camp and cut 2 of them by the usual deadline. In the more likely scenario that fewer than 4 players report, the CHL just gave them a higher chance of actually adding imports this year.
Well I can’t say I’m surprised they would allow that since it is most logical given the circumstances. Again though, just wish the CHL could list or announce that somewhere

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I guess one thing is for certain, if they can't land at least 1 of 4...well, we can start with that's a bad omen.
It’s nice flexibility for Erie for sure if they have the rights now to all 4 imports

We know Slafkovsky won’t be reporting . So that leaves 3 options for this year with Kolosov, Kulakov, Tichacek

Best case scenario is they all report and Erie is able to determine their needs in camp and keep the 2 they feel are needed most

A note though that keeping both defenders might be the strongest play regardless because both are 2003s with eligibility to return in 2022-23 under no OA tag. Kolosov is a 2001 and even if he did report, he is not returning as an OA. He would be a one and done. It’s better for Erie if Campbell/Lalonde split the net and Lalonde is ready for a takeover in 2022. Now obviously that is under the condition that they both are good options to split the net. But if not and Kolosov looks ready to be great/elite for one year than its hard to pass on that

Defensively speaking they could have:

Sova - Morton
Kulakov - Tichacek
Xxx - Kyrou

Other unsigned options such as Wil Murphy, Pat Geary and 2020/2021 picks.

That could be a decent defense. Growing pains to start but all would be eligible to return in 2022 (Morton the only OA for 2022) and if so, they have a chance to be really good with that backend and Lalonde. Particularly if Sova lives up to the hype

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Well I can’t say I’m surprised they would allow that since it is most logical given the circumstances. Again though, just wish the CHL could list or announce that somewhere
Pretty sure a big reason why they aren’t announcing things is that they make shit up as they go. But I’ve read this in multiple news releases from teams after the draft. The Spokane Chiefs for example say they’ve retained the rights to OA Lukas Parik and last year’s pick, David Jiricek, but still made two selections this year.

“Kovgorenya and Proske are both the first players ever selected by the Chiefs from their respective countries.
The Chiefs will retain the rights to goaltender Lukas Parik (2001) and defenseman David Jiricek (2003) of the Czech Republic. Parik starred for the Chiefs during the 2019-20 season before the COVID-19 pandemic, playing the 2020-21 season on loan to the USHL. Jiricek was the Chiefs’ first-round (54th overall) pick in the 2020 CHL Import Draft and stood out for the Czechs at the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship. Both are eligible to join the Chiefs for the 2021-22 season.
WHL clubs are allowed two import players on their roster and must be under the limit within 14 days of the team’s first regular season game.”
Chiefs make two picks in 2021 CHL Import Draft – Spokane Chiefs

Reactions: EON and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Pretty sure a big reason why they aren’t announcing things is that they make shit up as they go. But I’ve read this in multiple news releases from teams after the draft. The Spokane Chiefs for example say they’ve retained the rights to OA Lukas Parik and last year’s pick, David Jiricek, but still made two selections this year.

“Kovgorenya and Proske are both the first players ever selected by the Chiefs from their respective countries.
The Chiefs will retain the rights to goaltender Lukas Parik (2001) and defenseman David Jiricek (2003) of the Czech Republic. Parik starred for the Chiefs during the 2019-20 season before the COVID-19 pandemic, playing the 2020-21 season on loan to the USHL. Jiricek was the Chiefs’ first-round (54th overall) pick in the 2020 CHL Import Draft and stood out for the Czechs at the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship. Both are eligible to join the Chiefs for the 2021-22 season.
WHL clubs are allowed two import players on their roster and must be under the limit within 14 days of the team’s first regular season game.”
Chiefs make two picks in 2021 CHL Import Draft – Spokane Chiefs
This is helpful info. Thanks!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
From what I understand, teams can protect nhl drafted and last year’s picks that were not given opportunity due to COVID. The wolves’ now have rights to at least 4, I think 5 imports; it’s kinda ridiculous.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
From what I understand, teams can protect nhl drafted and last year’s picks that were not given opportunity due to COVID. The wolves’ now have rights to at least 4, I think 5 imports; it’s kinda ridiculous.
How is it ridiculous? I think it’s fair and the only possible way of handling things.

In Erie’s situation, they had 2 imports that they drafted in 2020 who signed and agreed to play. They wanted to be here. Because the OHL didn’t remotely figure anything out, even a shortened season or limited season, those players may now be hesitant to come play for this league. Especially knowing how the OHL media relations handled things and were non committal to attempting to start a season or being honest that it wasn’t going to happen. At the very least you are unlikely to get any formal agreement from those players to come play in the fall at this time since the OHL last played a game 16 months ago

The CHL is not changing their rule that only 2 imports can be on the roster so it doesn’t change much. It simply allows the teams more flexibility and opportunity to actually have import players on the roster. Which after no hockey since March 2020 and many players leaving the OHL since that time, we all know the league could use additional talents and players to come play this year

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
How is it ridiculous? I think it’s fair and the only possible way of handling things.

In Erie’s situation, they had 2 imports that they drafted in 2020 who signed and agreed to play. They wanted to be here. Because the OHL didn’t remotely figure anything out, even a shortened season or limited season, those players may now be hesitant to come play for this league. Especially knowing how the OHL media relations handled things and were non committal to attempting to start a season or being honest that it wasn’t going to happen. At the very least you are unlikely to get any formal agreement from those players to come play in the fall at this time since the OHL last played a game 16 months ago

The CHL is not changing their rule that only 2 imports can be on the roster so it doesn’t change much. It simply allows the teams more flexibility and opportunity to actually have import players on the roster. Which after no hockey since March 2020 and many players leaving the OHL since that time, we all know the league could use additional talents and players to come play this year

It’s only ridiculous in the sense that a team can have rights to 5 players but only roster 2. If after game 1, the other three are FA available on waivers; or sign and trade, cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It’s only ridiculous in the sense that a team can have rights to 5 players but only roster 2. If after game 1, the other three are FA available on waivers, cool.
I think that’s how it will have to be unless the other factors come into play regarding their NHL draft status etc. But either way, still only 2 on the roster and this won’t carry over to the 2022 draft

Reactions: dirty12

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Otters alumni have hoisted the Stanley Cup for 4 straight years. Only 1 other CHL franchise can say this and it’s the elite London Knights.

Really something to be proud of considering where this franchise was a decade ago. And with McDavid, Pelech, DeBrincat, and others still across the league, there is some real potential for more alumni to win in the coming years.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Doesn’t impact Erie directly too much. Don’t know how this would impact Drysdale but IMO he’s gone to the NHL anyways so not relevant.. But what I do find interesting is Perfetti. This rule could mean Perfetti is gone. Erie faces Saginaw x12 this year and 4 times in their first 6 games

Sagniaw won 41 games in the shortened 2019-20 season but Perfetti was a significant chunk of their production. And he would have been nasty this year. Sagniaw would stand to lose 9 of their top 11 forwards. I’m not even sure what they have on defense either but possible they lose 5 of their top 7 defenders. Yikes. They could be really bad. If they were looking for help in 2020, they aren’t getting it because 2020 first rounder Adam Fantilli is unsigned and their second rounder is a college commit. Their first round pick in 2019 was traded to Barrie for Suzuki (who is now gone) and their 2019 third rounder is a college commit.

They are potentially in for a world of hurt here but I don’t know their draft capital and maybe they can add some pieces to help them survive.
Flint meanwhile (Who Erie also plays 4 times early and 12 times overall) has a new coaching staff and will lose 6 of their top 8 forwards. But at least they have Brennan Othmann.

Erie is relative good shape compared to some teams but especially Saginaw/Flint.

Golod/Yetman will be hard to replace but at least they signed their top 3 picks in 2020 and have a promising duo in Lockhart/Saganiuk upfront. Drysdale is elite talent but Sova seems to at least offer upside and they have 2 import options + other youth in Morton/Kyrou on the backend

All this to say…
If Saginaw tanks this year and Flint is below average team, Erie has zero excuse to not win some games this year. If Hartsburg can’t get it done early they need to terminate him. This schedule should be softer and they are getting to the point of win or clean house. Again 24 games against those two teams means you should potentially win 16/17 of them. And that’s being fair. Can you just go .500 in the other 44 games? That puts you at 38 wins. Imo it’s 40 wins this year or fire Hartsburg

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

BIG Erie love on NHL Network. 2 videos in this thread about Lockhart and Erie’s high class, ownership/GM, fans, alumni, and program.

Great look for Dave and staff here

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Kolosov drafted in round 3 to Philly too. Good spot for him when it comes to Erie. Philly is a distance but not LA/west coast. And Philly likes their CHL guys.

Tichachek not drafted so have to wonder if that sways him to want to come over even more. He was ranked in the 100 range and was expected to be picked.

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

My early prediction to wear the C next.

Duff/Yetman/Golod/Drysdale gone. Erie raves about Connors work ethic and attitude. He lived with Yetman as a rookie and surrounded himself with guys like Duff/Drysdale, hence the rumored feud with Swankler

He needs to be the C and I hope to god he goes out and takes it during camp/preseason. Take over the leadership room, Connor. All you

Reactions: EON

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Sounds like Swankler is gone to BGSU. It’s interesting because they say he’s fully eligible since he didn’t play in 2019-20. This must be a new rule for this COVID season? Either way, Swankler didn’t work here and if he had issues with guys like Lockhart, there was no chance Erie was going to have him on their roster next year. I wish him the best but this is probably best case scenario for both parties

Leo Minem

Feb 4, 2019

Sounds like Swankler is gone to BGSU. It’s interesting because they say he’s fully eligible since he didn’t play in 2019-20. This must be a new rule for this COVID season? Either way, Swankler didn’t work here and if he had issues with guys like Lockhart, there was no chance Erie was going to have him on their roster next year. I wish him the best but this is probably best case scenario for both parties

Called it

Reactions: NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Do we even have expectations at this point with all that has been lost *hahahaha*

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Do we even have expectations at this point with all that has been lost *hahahaha*
Expectations for the season?

Not really since we have no idea how players have developed this past year. But as I said in a previous post, Saginaw is going to lose significant production/talent since they last played. Their top picks from 2019 and 2020 are either traded or unsigned. Flint is in better shape but they also lose big names and their entire coaching staff.

So with that said, my expectations are that this team has to be better than those two teams. If not, that reflects poorly on the coaching staff and development here. They can’t afford another 7-10 conference finish to begin with but you add in a potential softer schedule and imo you better see improvements across the board, including wins

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

HA what an amazing look for the NCAA. Truly embarrassing but that said this deserves to happen to someone with the rumors swirling around him like Swankler. At all costs he finds a way to bail yet again and find a new home. Amazing how this kid can’t seem to last more than one season in a LEAGUE, let alone on a team. The second he faces adversity, he blames the players/coaches/organization and bails. A mature player comes into camp after 2 years off with a new attitude and at the very least is open to a trade. Swankler clearly doesn’t take responsibility for any of his own flaws. Can’t believe I stood up for wanting him around prior to Leo’s insight. The only silver lining is Erie didn’t draft this guy and didn’t see this nightmare coming. But this is certainly what Dave Brown means when he says the team drafts for character. Would be hypocritical to keep him around anyways. This makes it easier. See ya!

It looks like the OAs will be DAmato/Hoffmann and one of Sproule/Sellan. One of Sproule/Sellan will be traded.. The others will be released. Kischnick could maybe find a home elsewhere in OHL but Gillard hasn’t played in 2 years and is less likely to get a chance.

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

HA what an amazing look for the NCAA. Truly embarrassing but that said this deserves to happen to someone with the rumors swirling around him like Swankler. At all costs he finds a way to bail yet again and find a new home. Amazing how this kid can’t seem to last more than one season in a LEAGUE, let alone on a team. The second he faces adversity, he blames the players/coaches/organization and bails. A mature player comes into camp after 2 years off with a new attitude and at the very least is open to a trade. Swankler clearly doesn’t take responsibility for any of his own flaws. Can’t believe I stood up for wanting him around prior to Leo’s insight. The only silver lining is Erie didn’t draft this guy and didn’t see this nightmare coming. But this is certainly what Dave Brown means when he says the team drafts for character. Would be hypocritical to keep him around anyways. This makes it easier. See ya!

It looks like the OAs will be DAmato/Hoffmann and one of Sproule/Sellan. One of Sproule/Sellan will be traded.. The others will be released. Kischnick could maybe find a home elsewhere in OHL but Gillard hasn’t played in 2 years and is less likely to get a chance.

They will always make exceptions...

So now the cat is out of the bag will more people try to make the jump back into college or is this a one time "covid" thing?

In any event, kind of a shame that a talented kid like him became such a cancer. I really thought he was able to control it better than Fowler, but apparently not.

My understanding is they were considered "pro athletes" because they in essence, get paid to play via monthly stipends, etc. Is it a sign of things to future happenings even after covid?

Leaves so many questions as to the logistics of it and if this is just a one off thing or a possible change for the future rules. If so, maybe they should be required to sit out a year like other college transfers.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
They will always make exceptions...

So now the cat is out of the bag will more people try to make the jump back into college or is this a one time "covid" thing?

In any event, kind of a shame that a talented kid like him became such a cancer. I really thought he was able to control it better than Fowler, but apparently not.

My understanding is they were considered "pro athletes" because they in essence, get paid to play via monthly stipends, etc. Is it a sign of things to future happenings even after covid?

Leaves so many questions as to the logistics of it and if this is just a one off thing or a possible change for the future rules. If so, maybe they should be required to sit out a year like other college transfers.

My understanding as of now is this was an error or blunder by the NCAA. This is not going to be the new normal, at least not now. Swankler got “lucky” that they made an error and essentially the NCAA was not willing to say, “sorry we made an error, you can’t come here anymore” but instead said, “we made an error but we won’t reverse that error”

I don’t think it’s a real option though for other players in OHL trying to go to NCAA right now. But curious in the future if NIL or the advancement in college sports as more “semi pro” leagues will change this outlook.

That said, don’t be short sighted and think it would be a disaster for the OHL. It can hurt and help the CHL. Sure some guys like Swankler might bail but usually guys bail when things aren’t going well. I don’t think someone like DeBrincat would bail back to the college route in the middle of three straight 50+ goal seasons. That said some players might bail to join a top college team if they playing for a bottom seeded OHL team. On the reverse side of that, you could see players more willing to sign in the OHL because they know they can go the college route in 2/3 years. So the OHL could get guys like Owen Power or Ryan Alexander for a year or two before they bail to college. Add to that that most OHL players are still Canadian and would prefer to stay in Canada playing for a top development league versus American college. I would guess that about 75% of the players in the O (or higher) never fully considered NCAA and so this wouldn’t change that for them. If the OHL keeps producing talent to the NHL, they will still be super attractive to majority of players

Imo there would be more advantages for the OHL and it potentially would hurt the USHL or colleges more. Imagine if Ryan Alexander knew he could play here for 2 years with his best buddy Drysdale while keeping his college eligibility? I think he would have done it. Then imagine if he was really good and developed nicely, maybe he no longer considers college by the time he is 18/19? It’s a risk for the NCAA to open this door permanently because the OHL includes 16-18 year olds.

I wouldn’t be too concerned at present time though. Swankler was a one time mistake by the NCAA. Luckily he was a mistake by Erie too and they were moving on from him anyways

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Aiden Campbell was invited to World Junior Summer Showcase for Team USA.

Let's hope he can make the national stage and some some good confidence/play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad