Erie Otters 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I didn't get to watch, what happened?
Hoffmann used his hand to pull Hay down at the neck and when he was down Hoffmann kicked him and gave him a check in the back it appears.

He got 2 mins for roughing and 5 mins for a match penalty.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Hoffmann used his hand to pull Hay down at the neck and when he was down Hoffmann kicked him and gave him a check in the back it appears.

He got 2 mins for roughing and 5 mins for a match penalty.

Clean record and no history...maybe a game or two, if any at all.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I hate that we never put it all together. The offense is clicking, means the defnese/goalies give up 7 goals. The goalie stands on his head, we can’t score 2/3 goals. Typical Erie way of losing. I think this Flint team is soooo basic. So to be 0-6 against them is downright pathetic. They aren’t a good team. You should luck into just 1/2 wins just by showing up

Side note: why was Lalonde not pulled? At some point stop the bleeding for the young kid. Nicholls hasn’t been playing in weeks now and it’s odd…
I know you know how standings work. They’re 4th in the standings. 4th in win% and haven’t been outside of the 3-5 spots there for awhile. You can’t just dismiss their W’s against Erie. You gotta beat the teams you play. They get scoring throughout their lineup and Like a lot of teams they’ve been playing short and missing key pieces recently. No starting goalie, missing a top pairing D, top 6 F and two other forwards tonight.

Reactions: Mata and Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Clean record and no history...maybe a game or two, if any at all.
I didn’t see the takedown and I didn’t catch the kick if it did happen but he basically gave up the game with the crosscheck. It’s a match penalty, for something though so I gotta think he sits at least one.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I didn’t see the takedown and I didn’t catch the kick if it did happen but he basically gave up the game with the crosscheck. It’s a match penalty, for something though so I gotta think he sits at least one.

I just watched the replay...

He was skating from behind his net to the left along the boards with the Flint player...reached his hand around his neck and pulled him down from behind, then kicked him in the back and then used his stick and pushed down on him further. On the way off he was yelling at some fans as well.

Uncharacteristic, but extremely uncalled for. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the 1 - 3 game range simply because he didn't stop so there was no remorse in my eyes. Had he pulled the guy down and served his penalty, it may have been nothing, but he continued to assail the Flint player.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I just watched the replay...

He was skating from behind his net to the left along the boards with the Flint player...reached his hand around his neck and pulled him down from behind, then kicked him in the back and then used his stick and pushed down on him further. On the way off he was yelling at some fans as well.

Uncharacteristic, but extremely uncalled for. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the 1 - 3 game range simply because he didn't stop so there was no remorse in my eyes. Had he pulled the guy down and served his penalty, it may have been nothing, but he continued to assail the Flint player.
The fans were chirping him pretty hard, pretty much deserved but I wouldn’t fault him much for that part.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ugly, ugly game defensively. Adams deserves some criticism for how loose the team has been defensively under his watch despite the improvements offensively. Really poor from Hoffmann to do that in a 1 goal game in the 3rd period as well, you expect better from a veteran OA leader.

On the bright side, D'Amato has been on a tear since his return from the AHL (and the switch to Adams), he could be playing himself into having good trade value. He has 7 G and 3 A in 7 games since returning, a 1.43 PPG pace. For reference, when Erie traded Maksimovich as an OA at the deadline in the 2018-29 season, he was playing at a 1.44 PPG pace, and they got two 2nd round picks plus the rights to Swankler for him. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest D'Amato could fetch two 2nds or a 2nd + a 3rd at the deadline if he continues this pace, especially considering he is bigger, stronger, and faster than Maksimovich was (to Maksimovich's credit, he was more creative offensively to compensate for his lack of size). I'd like to see them move him a contender in the East if they can get that kind of value, then just give the young guys tons of playing time the rest of the season.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Ugly, ugly game defensively. Adams deserves some criticism for how loose the team has been defensively under his watch despite the improvements offensively. Really poor from Hoffmann to do that in a 1 goal game in the 3rd period as well, you expect better from a veteran OA leader.

On the bright side, D'Amato has been on a tear since his return from the AHL (and the switch to Adams), he could be playing himself into having good trade value. He has 7 G and 3 A in 7 games since returning, a 1.43 PPG pace. For reference, when Erie traded Maksimovich as an OA at the deadline in the 2018-29 season, he was playing at a 1.44 PPG pace, and they got two 2nd round picks plus the rights to Swankler for him. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest D'Amato could fetch two 2nds or a 2nd + a 3rd at the deadline if he continues this pace, especially considering he is bigger, stronger, and faster than Maksimovich was (to Maksimovich's credit, he was more creative offensively to compensate for his lack of size). I'd like to see them move him a contender in the East if they can get that kind of value, then just give the young guys tons of playing time the rest of the season.

I have to agree so far that offensively we are better, but somehow defensively we are worse. From the sample size we've seen so far that seems to be the trend at least.

Kulakov still with an unknown return definitely hurts the back line but the amount of shots we surrender right now is too much to bare. Last night was an eye popping 44 with 22 coming in the 3rd period the likely culprit being Hoff and his blunder caused a crazy long PK.

Still, we are going in the wrong way defensively.

Injuries happen and great teams learn to play through the adversity, so losing an underperforming Sellan or high motor Saganiuk isn't an excuse to play even worse.

Curious if they are going to bring in a 3rd coach for the remainder or stay with 2.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Trade returns seem way down this year, I can't see him going for 2,3 but that's just me.
Yeah I agree. The values are way down and there are not many teams that need an OA or would be willing to upgrade. Based off my research, it looks like Hamilton, Guelph, and London are the only realistic options. But there are other OAs across the league, plus 4th year guys, that could be traded as well. I think Maksimovich fetched a solid return in part because he previously won a championship and that does add a little value. Plus he was a more consistent producer

I think if DAmato can keep up with scoring and is sitting at 17-18 goals come trade deadline, he might have value. My opinion is you get something like a 3rd and 5th on the high end. That seems reasonable. Maybe they can get a 3rd and a conditional that becomes another 3rd if that team wins their conference and he’s a PPG? something like that. I think conditional picks are not used as often as they should be and they almost always could make sense. Erie could have traded Sproule for 6th that turned into a 3rd if he hit a PPG and played over 50 games… I’m sure if PBO knew this was going to be his production, they gladly pay that…

But I would be shocked to get more than a 3rd for DAmato. Seems more likely we don’t even trade him because there is no good return. It’s less a reflection on DAmato as it is on the current trade market/OA market

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Curious if they are going to bring in a 3rd coach for the remainder or stay with 2.
Came here to say this as well. Part of the struggles might just be related to BJ not having the same ability to coach the defense as he did before. They have 2 coaches now. Brown mentioned after the change that they would reevaluate things for a 3rd coach joining or not. But that was, what, a month ago? Hard to imagine they spend more money on a 3rd coach now when the team is the worst in the league. Do I think it would help long term? Yes obviously. But do I also think the team has limited funds given the last 4 years (by their own doing)… yes. They fired Hartsburg so I’m sure they have to finish paying him out. He’s still on the payroll. And they are set to lose money for another consecutive year.

Financially, I’m not sure they can really afford it. Plus I’m not really even sure who you hire in November/December for that role. Any good coach is currently coaching a team. Is it worth hiring a retread or limited coach for the sake of having one? Not sure. But it would help if they got a competent guy in here just to help lessen the load for BJ/Vince

Again, I like BJs attitude and demeanor but not sure he’s the long term guy either. I want an offensive minded coach and a defensive minded assistant. That said, from a financial perspective, I’ll bet they keep BJ around after this year and then hire a 3rd guy in the offseason. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t. I just think if you want to win and develop players, you have to have a good coach. There’s a reason the only success we have had since 2002 was when we had Knoblauch. You can’t “cheap out” on a coaching staff. I think they cheap out on the staff and it’s costing them development, especially with goalies. Their AGM should have one goal the rest of the year: go find a young up and coming coach and get him here

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Guelph only had George Burnett behind the bench for a week when Wiseman was at Capital City Challenge and they did pretty well.

The Large White Elephant is clouding the view. Inexperienced young d corp and unproven goaltending has become the major issue. Offense and basic coaching are fine to score enough to win 50% of the games.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Guelph only had George Burnett behind the bench for a week when Wiseman was at Capital City Challenge and they did pretty well.
The Large White Elephant is clouding the view. Inexperienced young d corp and unproven goaltending has become the major issue. Offense and basic coaching are fine to score enough to win 50% of the games.
Seriously, what is your problem? Your negativity on this board is so unwelcomed and ignorant. You continue to twist and twist things into a pretzel. Your comparisons are lazy and your arguments flawed. If you want to argue, go to a Windsor board

Sure though, let’s compare Guelph losing their coach for 1 week to Erie having a low tier coach for 4 years and now dropping down to 2 coaches who are trying to completely shift the culture and development. Those two things are not even close to being equal. The assistants in Guelph taking over for a head coach for a week doesn’t mean they put in a new system or even a new practice structure. They literally just play the role of an actor and do what their head coach tells them to… there are no bad habits or no culture issues to fix. But please tell me it’s the same thing!!

You either don’t understand the differences between the two coaching situations or you are just that negative and that much of a troll that you are willing to try to speak stuff into existence. Otherwise, why are you bringing that up? It’s not relevant here.

I think maybe you have a big elephant clouding your view because it’s the only way to explain your negative takes. A lot of darkness in your views..Very cloudy from the elephant.. It’s sad really…. this is junior hockey..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad