Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Final stats from PBHH showcase

Dark Blue Team:
Hoffmann 9gp 7g 2a 9pts (T-6th on team)
DAmato 9gp 6g 7a 13pts (1st on team)
Sproule 9gp 6g 4a 10pts (5th on team)
Sellan 9gp 6g 6a 12pts (T-2nd on team)
Sova 9gp 3g 4a 7pts (7th team, 2nd among D)

Light Blue Team:
Bressette 8gp 1g 5a 6pts (T-6th on team)
Sedore 8gp 3g 2a 5pts (t-9th on team)

Team Yellow:
Saganiuk 8gp 5g 4a 9pts (T-1st on team)

Team Green:
Morton 8gp 0g 2a 2pts
Ross 8gp 6g 2a 8pts (T-3rd on team)

Goalies:
Lalonde 4gp, .896% (5 out of 13 goalies)
Campbell 4gp, .782%

Everyone I think did great overall it appears. With the exception of Campbell. Yikes. When he’s on, he’s amazing but his consistency issues are extremely concerning. I thought about just going Campbell/Lalonde this year and moving on from any hope of Kolosov but I don’t think Erie can because I don’t think Campbell is close to ready for a #1 job. Or at least I have zero confidence in that.

seems odd that some guys would have 8 GP as opposed to 9. I chose one guy randomly (Ross) and went back to the actual box scores for that team. In actuality, it appears he had 7+3 in 9 GP. So for some reason the stats from a game must not have pulled through on the site for some teams.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
seems odd that some guys would have 8 GP as opposed to 9. I chose one guy randomly (Ross) and went back to the actual box scores for that team. In actuality, it appears he had 7+3 in 9 GP. So for some reason the stats from a game must not have pulled through on the site for some teams.
Good catch. I don’t see 9gp showing up for certain players so I’m not really sure. Oh well. The stats are close to accurate. Not exact I guess

I will go adjust the list where I see additional games played but I don’t see Ross or some other stats showing up for 9gp.

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Those are good looking numbers for all of Erie's forwards. It's too bad we didn't get to see the Sellan-Hoffmann-D'Amato line this past season when they would have been 19 year olds. I have a hard time seeing Erie keep all 3 of them as OAs.

Very concerning showing from Campbell, especially considering how much better Lalonde fared, but we'll see how he does in camp. I do think I'd prefer to go Kolosov-Lalonde and try to trade Campbell for picks, given that it's hard to get good import picks to commit and I'd rather Erie just keep the two they got.

Reactions: NOA

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Good catch. I don’t see 9gp showing up for certain players so I’m not really sure. Oh well. The stats are close to accurate. Not exact I guess

I will go adjust the list where I see additional games played but I don’t see Ross or some other stats showing up for 9gp.

Weird, right? Looking back more closely again, appears that for some, the game on June 7th did not populate into the players' stats on their individual pages. So adding in that plus the last 'draft eligibles' game for those applicable (not a ton changes), the numbers for skaters were:

Dark Blue Team:
Hoffmann 9gp 7g 2a 9pts
DAmato 9gp 6g 7a 13pts
Sproule 9gp 6g 4a 10pts
Sellan 9gp 6g 6a 12pts
Sova 9gp 3g 4a 7pts

Light Blue Team:
Bressette 10gp 1g 7a 8pts (adjusted - also played in final day's 'draft eligibles' game)
Sedore 9gp 4g 2a 6pts (adjusted)

Team Yellow:
Saganiuk 10gp 5g 4a 9pts (adjusted, only impacted GP, not stats - also played in 'draft eligibles' game)

Team Green:
Morton 9gp 0g 2a 2pts (adjusted - only impacted GP, not stats)
Ross 9gp 7g 2a 9pts (adjusted)

Goalies:
Lalonde 5gp, .883% (adjusted)
Campbell 5gp, .800% (also played in 'draft eligibles' game)

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Weird, right? Looking back more closely again, appears that for some, the game on June 7th did not populate into the players' stats on their individual pages. So adding in that plus the last 'draft eligibles' game for those applicable (not a ton changes), the numbers for skaters were:

Dark Blue Team:
Hoffmann 9gp 7g 2a 9pts
DAmato 9gp 6g 7a 13pts
Sproule 9gp 6g 4a 10pts
Sellan 9gp 6g 6a 12pts
Sova 9gp 3g 4a 7pts

Light Blue Team:
Bressette 10gp 1g 7a 8pts (adjusted - also played in final day's 'draft eligibles' game)
Sedore 9gp 4g 2a 6pts (adjusted)

Team Yellow:
Saganiuk 10gp 5g 4a 9pts (adjusted, only impacted GP, not stats - also played in 'draft eligibles' game)

Team Green:
Morton 9gp 0g 2a 2pts (adjusted - only impacted GP, not stats)
Ross 9gp 7g 2a 9pts (adjusted)

Goalies:
Lalonde 5gp, .883% (adjusted)
Campbell 5gp, .800% (also played in 'draft eligibles' game)
Great work!! I attempted to update yesterday but was busy with work.

Most surprised to see Ross and Saganiuk put up points. Given their size and adjusting to new level/style of hockey, it was good to see. They both got off to slower starts but really appeared to show more as the showcase went on. Good sign for Erie

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Those are good looking numbers for all of Erie's forwards. It's too bad we didn't get to see the Sellan-Hoffmann-D'Amato line this past season when they would have been 19 year olds. I have a hard time seeing Erie keep all 3 of them as OAs.

Very concerning showing from Campbell, especially considering how much better Lalonde fared, but we'll see how he does in camp. I do think I'd prefer to go Kolosov-Lalonde and try to trade Campbell for picks, given that it's hard to get good import picks to commit and I'd rather Erie just keep the two they got.
I agree that Kolosov makes sense to keep but not sure how likely it is because he played in KHL. Even if he wants to or is willing to, whoever drafts him in NHL may advise him to stay in the KHL for another year.

As for the OAs, I also agree they can’t keep those 3 OAs. They already are a smaller team that now added Ross/Saganiuk and likely Artichuk. Sellan offers yet another overused redundancy - an undersized guy. As does Sproule seeing as how he appears to have added no weight to his frame the last 1-2 years.

To me, D’Amato offers the most with size, skill, versatility. Hoffmann at least offers a huge frame which they could use. Swankler offers the highest scoring/offensive upside which they also need. I think that order I listed them: DAmato, Hoffmann, Swankler is the order in which they are most likely to stay. If a team is willing to give you a good price on any, I guess I would be pull them trigger and move one. But otherwise, that’s your most talented group. Sproule would be the 4th guy for me just because I think he has more upside offensively

Projected lines:

Swankler - Lockhart - Cohen
DAmato - Hoffmann - Saganiuk
Ross/Sedore- Terrance - Bressette
Ross/Sedore - Lowe - Artichuk/2020 draft pick

Sova - Morton
Kulakov - Kyrou
Geary?/Murphy?/Trade

Kolosov
Lalonde

The good news for Erie is they have a lot of signed bodies up front. Once Terrance/Artichuk sign, they will have 12 eligible to play (14 if you count the extra 2 OAs). Plus they still have 2020 draft pick options like Smith and Melady or someone else we maybe are not aware of.

Defensively it is a bit more dry but we need Kulakov especially to report. He is already signed but idk of Covid changed things for him. If he’s in the fold, Erie has 4 signed. I thought Kyrou had underrated year as rookie and hopefully got bigger. Morton supposedly had great showcase so I am comfortable with him. Sova/Kulakov are big unknowns but they have some potential or hype.

They will need to sign at least one of Wil Murphy or Geary. They also will have other 2019/2020 options such as Thomson, Lonsdale, and Johnston. I think Sauder/Alboim will battle it out for the 7th man spot.

always an option to trade for a 4/5 veteran as well, especially after they flip their OAs and potentially Campbell.

The goalie spot is good because at least they have bodies. Lalonde was a 3rd round pick and has high upside. Campbell still has potential and at least has experience. Kolosov if he is here is potentially a top end elite goalie. If not, I hope Erie finds out pre import draft so they know to draft someone else

If Kolosov is out as an option, I would go defense, one preferably with size, in the import draft

Reactions: EON

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
no Drysdale?
Highly doubt it. He played 24 NHL games. Because Anaheim is west coast, I didn’t catch too many of his games but from the 2-3 I watched, he didn’t seem out of place for an 18 year old. Certainly Anaheim fans were excited about what he brought. He needs to add weight/muscle but with a whole offseason, I would expect him to and Anaheim stinks so unless Drysdale is not even close or it will severely impact his development, they are not sending him back here. Even 30-40 NHL games is better IMO than being back here at this point

but trust me, if Erie gets him back.. wow that’s huge. Not happening tho

Reactions: LDN

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Terrance and Artichuk rocking the Erie gear

I just post to say, wow these jerseys look great in live shots! The blue and gold is a nice contrast and I don’t think the gray/silver is overdone. To the people who think these were too much, tacky, or ugly… you are wrong! These are amazing for an anniversary jersey

btw Erie confirmed they will make 2021-22 their 25th anniversary season, as I think we all expected

Attachments

• D91A31E6-BD73-485C-B692-933D951273F6.jpeg
    D91A31E6-BD73-485C-B692-933D951273F6.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 6
  • E23D359F-4507-4FB8-86AB-F8E39849F71B.jpeg
    E23D359F-4507-4FB8-86AB-F8E39849F71B.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 6

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

key notes as it relates to Erie players:
  • NHL teams are already coveting Erie Otters G Nolan Lalonde. Many feel he will be the best goalie in the OHL in 2-3 years. Teams came to Erie getting a jump start on scouting him.
  • I had a scout ask me if that was Jamie Drysdale skating? It wasn’t him but it was Spencer Sova. Multiple scouts indicated he was one of the best skaters in the field of everyone who attended

Reactions: Mata

Leo Minem

Feb 4, 2019
I've said it before and I'll say it again; if you've met and talked to any of these players or known any of the billets, it's not uncommon knowledge that Swankler will not be coming back. If you look at it by association then you have a full OA line of forwards in D'amato-Hoffmann-Sellan, or a trio of D'amato, Hoffmann, and one of Sellan or Sproule. Regardless of who you get back you're still getting a decent OA lineup with the possibility of a high end season out of a couple of them, remember we haven't seen them in 16 months...

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I've said it before and I'll say it again; if you've met and talked to any of these players or known any of the billets, it's not uncommon knowledge that Swankler will not be coming back. If you look at it by association then you have a full OA line of forwards in D'amato-Hoffmann-Sellan, or a trio of D'amato, Hoffmann, and one of Sellan or Sproule. Regardless of who you get back you're still getting a decent OA lineup with the possibility of a high end season out of a couple of them, remember we haven't seen them in 16 months...
Leo this ain’t personal but..

Sellan is 5’9. He offers nothing for me but an undersized mid level OA.

so I’ll say it again myself, if Erie thinks they can go into this year with an undersized, young team, including 7 forwards under 5’10 then I hope they have another sub par season. Further If Chris Hartsburg continues to obsess over this OA line like it’s elite talent, I swear to god I’m going to reach my breaking point. Let’s trade Swankler for peanuts and watch him pot 25g and 60+ points while Sproule finds success somewhere else. Meanwhile let’s reunite the amazing, top tier line of
Hoff/Sellan/Danny line (HSD) and get sub PPG from the trio.

I want Hoffmann and DAmato for their size. Not to unite them on some “forceful” 3rd line that Erie continues to believe they have. Emphasis on 3rd line.

I’ll play the game that we never know what these players will produce or be this year after 1.5 off but I know what I’m getting in Sellan and it ain’t size. At least give me Sproule who has more offensive upside.

The worst part too if we see that HSD line is that YOU KNOW, you just KNOW Hartsburg will keep them as a line. Acting like they DeBrincat-McDavid-Elie and can’t be separated

So what we will see? something like this below? Something that doesn’t spread the size, doesn’t spread the “experience” and doesn’t shelter their younger players

Sellan - Hoffmann - DAmato
Cohen - Lockhart - Saganiuk
Bressette - Terrance - Sedore
Ross - Lowe - Artichuk

Yipppie!!! Sign me up for that!!!

Hope I’m wrong and they are good no matter what but I don’t trust Hartsburg at all

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

key notes as it relates to Erie players:
  • NHL teams are already coveting Erie Otters G Nolan Lalonde. Many feel he will be the best goalie in the OHL in 2-3 years. Teams came to Erie getting a jump start on scouting him.
  • I had a scout ask me if that was Jamie Drysdale skating? It wasn’t him but it was Spencer Sova. Multiple scouts indicated he was one of the best skaters in the field of everyone who attended

Its amazing Mark always seems to get people to say how great the players are in Erie is every year ;)

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

so I’ll say it again myself, if Erie thinks they can go into this year with an undersized, young team, including 7 forwards under 5’10 then I hope they have another sub par season. Further If Chris Hartsburg continues to obsess over this OA line like it’s elite talent, I swear to god I’m going to reach my breaking point. Let’s trade Swankler for peanuts and watch him pot 25g and 60+ points while Sproule finds success somewhere else. Meanwhile let’s reunite the amazing, top tier line of

I want Hoffmann and DAmato for their size. Not to unite them on some “forceful” 3rd line that Erie continues to believe they have. Emphasis on 3rd line.

I’ll play the game that we never know what these players will produce or be this year after 1.5 off but I know what I’m getting in Sellan and it ain’t size. At least give me Sproule who has more offensive upside.

The worst part too if we see that HSD line is that YOU KNOW, you just KNOW Hartsburg will keep them as a line. Acting like they DeBrincat-McDavid-Elie and can’t be separated

So what we will see? something like this below? Something that doesn’t spread the size, doesn’t spread the “experience” and doesn’t shelter their younger players

Ross - Lowe - Artichuk

Hope I’m wrong and they are good no matter what but I don’t trust Hartsburg at all

If Swankler is gone, then Hartsburg should be too, without a single game, no covid excuses...that would rate him as a class 1 bum, no exceptions.

Leo Minem

Feb 4, 2019

Ross - Lowe - Artichuk

Nothing personal taken, I'm not gonna be dishing anything personal

The simple matter of OA selection comes with this.

Austen Swankler is a known locker room cancer, from what I've talked and heard about is that we're likely not even going to dish him because of the awful reputation he has because we can't get a team to take him. On top of that, at multiple points I've heard he's clashed with other teammates, fought with other teammates, disrespected staff, billets, volunteers, etc. Keep in mind if you're an organization such as Erie, these are just the things I myself have heard, not everything that's actually happened. I've spoken with probably 1/3-1/2 of the team and a decent amount of them have had something unusual to say about the guy. I even heard that Lockhart and him absolutely hate each other. So there's a hot chance you could say they won't even want to be on a line together.
Even before he came to Erie, most people knew about his attitude issues and his drama, hence why he even switched leagues in the first place.

Even if you take all of what I just wrote above, which is purely from things I've heard and talked about with people, you still have Austen Swankler, the producing OFFENSIVE forward. When you look at Erie, we're statistically the shortest team in the OHL I'm pretty sure. We're also one of the only teams that have a relatively good defensive structure and play. We were one of the lowest-scoring teams in the league yet we put up decent defensive zone numbers in advanced statistics. If you take out the fact that the majority of Swanklers points came from Yetman, Golod, Fowler, or Drysdale, you realistically can replace him with most players on this team. How difficult is it to get points when you have a 40 goal scorer, 70+ point producer, a solid playmaker, and the arguably top defenceman in the league helping you. Regardless, he still has to score these goals and make those passes, he's a talented player and he has offensive upside. However, when you look at his time distribution on the ice and his most efficient areas of play, they're primarily offensive and primarily Power Play. Swankler was on the powerplay the majority of the year, on a powerplay that had an abysmal season all things considered. Most goals from our powerplay came from Yetman or Golod. To say that Swankler can put up 60+ points in a season isn't unrealistic, it can happen, but to keep an offensive, locker room cancer in your room is a death sentence, especially when you want your OA group to be leaders. The amount of influence your OA group has on a younger core, ESPECIALLY on a team that missed a whole season and will have about half the team being rookies, is immense.

When you look at a guy like D'amato, you have a 6'2 frame, speed, improving scoring ability, offensive-leaning 2 way player. He works his bag off no matter the scenario, he has a great motor, he's had to work for everything considering he broke his Femur in his minor midget year and came in as a midget draft pick. He is without a doubt someone we would keep. I don't hear much about him from other people other than the usual, he's a well rounded kid with a good head on his shoulders, he has the drive necessary to push him into becoming a standout OA player. The issue with him comes with the possibility that he doesn't produce due to injury and other setbacks mentally, his strength is something I'd be worried about considering he's on the lighter side of 6'2. Other than that he's a safe pick as an OA

One of the things I noticed about him regarding his playing time, he played powerplay 3 times this entire year.

And guess who with, and how many times they scored?

Hoffmann-Sellan-D'amato

2/3

If I'm not wrong it was against Saginaw both times before the season ended. The only reason I remember is that my wife said they looked like waterbugs on cocaine when they wanted the puck back.

I understand your argument against Sellan though, he's more skilled from a stickhandling point of view than either Hoffmann or D'amato or Swankler or Sproule. He just doesn't have 3 key things. 1. Size 2. Speed 2. Physicality. All three things are huge for players who want to excel considering today's game and how it's changed from 10 years ago. Sellan is a 2 way forward with a good mind for offensive structure and playmaking, simple matter of fact is that if he can't keep up with anyone on his team then he'll be a liability. However, he's arguably one of the most poised players on the team, he has the ability to finish offensive plays with his mind quicker than anyone I've seen on the returning group. He had a good amount of points throughout the showcase and has shown he can finish at a good efficiency against high-caliber players, now we have to see if that can translate to the season.

Hoffmann should be a lock coming back, the guy is 6'3-4 and he's an absolute freight train. Despite being an OA there's a ton of untapped potential. If he can have a resurgence of scoring ability and remain as physically strong and fast he is, he can be an absolute head turner come October. Hoffmann is bigger, stronger, arguably faster if not almost as fast as D'amato, and has all the defensive upside you can look for in a two-way power forward. He was tied for most goals in the tournament and led the tournament in Faceoff Percentage as well as defensive zone efficiency. On top of that, talk amongst scouts was that he was hospitalized during the tournament for stomach flu/food poisoning apparently and he never missed a game. Another easy upside for Hoffmann is that his reputation amongst not only fans and people around Erie but also amongst players and scouts is that of a leader and an admirable guy. The downside of Hoffmann comes from his consistency and his stickhandling. He needs to be able to add finesse to his game or else he'll crumble. He has the most effective and hardest shot I've seen in a while, and yet his skill level and offensive drive hinders him from using it. However, his size, strength, defensive ability is something that literally places him in the top 3 defensive forwards in advanced stats in the entire OHL. That is something you don't have that often, especially since the last player to possess that title and ability was Kyle Petit, and before that I don't think Erie had one.

And here's the other part where I don't disagree with you.

I don't believe that they will keep the line together the entire season.

HSD will likely be split up if it's the type of season we want it to be.

D'amato-Hoffmann-Saganiuk
Lockhart-Cohen-Sellan
Sedore-Terrance-Bressette
Lowe-Artichuk- Ross

Or

Lockhart-Hoffmann-Saganiuk
D'amato-Cohen-Bressette
Sedore-Terrance-Sellan
Lowe-Artichuk-Ross

You could realistically mix it up, OR, you could keep it the same and allow other lines to get the chemistry together, as opposed to getting chemistry with forwards who will be gone in a year.

It's a simple matter of what works better together. Because there's one thing you missed when it comes to what you said:

The Otters haven't played in 16 months, and you have a line that's still got chemistry in your OA group, that's a lucky thing in today's OHL atmosphere, most teams have 0 chemistry or barely any at all between most returning players.

On top of that, if there's one line I want to have the identity and drive to motivate my younger core team, it would be a line that performs such as HSD. Because I will say, they absolutely do not have the skill such as Debrincat-Elie-Strome, or any other known line from our previous years, but they work damn near harder than them.

Reactions: EON, Mata and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Its amazing Mark always seems to get people to say how great the players are in Erie is every year ;)
lol what the hell does that mean? He reported less Erie stuff than the general group at this event. And in this article, he touched on 20 other things. If anything, I wish he would report more on Erie players but rarely commented

but if that doesn’t float your boat here is Brock Otten

OHL Prospects: PBHH Erie Showcase Tournament Review

Top ‘04 “would be rookies”

2. Spencer Sova
Speaking of rocketing up rankings, let me introduce you to Spencer Sova, who is bound to be one of the best skaters available for the 2022 NHL Draft. He has that effortless, yet powerful stride like Jamie Drysdale, Cale Makar, etc. Some of the things he did at this event were breathtaking. If he comes to Erie next season and performs well, he is going to rocket up draft charts and be a potential lottery selection. I actually thought Sova played well in his own end here too. He has made some massive gains in his game since I saw him last as a U16 player.

HM: Nolan Lalonde
The youngest goalie at the event, Lalonde had his moments. Quite frankly, most 16/17 year old goaltenders struggle in their first OHL season, so it should not have come as a surprise to see his performance as inconsistent at the event. The big shock was seeing him measure in at 6'3, a full three inches more than his last OHL measurement. That's a huge growth spurt. He is going to be someone on the scouting radar next year as he vies for the starting job in Erie. At least he now knows what to expect from OHL caliber shooters.

here is also this on Spencer Sova

But carry on!

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If Swankler is gone, then Hartsburg should be too, without a single game, no covid excuses...that would rate him as a class 1 bum, no exceptions.
I think Hartsburg will keep the OA trio together which I worry about. Again, even from a size perspective it makes ZERO sense. You add in the inexperience (which everyone will be dealing with I admit) and you are left with potential disaster.

I would like to see the 3 OAs split to two lines or ideally 3. But if Sellan is one of them, then he will offer little to support a young/small/inexperienced guy given his own limitations

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
lol what the hell does that mean? He reported less Erie stuff than the general group at this event. And in this article, he touched on 20 other things. If anything, I wish he would report more on Erie players but rarely commented

but if that doesn’t float your boat here is Brock Otten

OHL Prospects: PBHH Erie Showcase Tournament Review

Top ‘04 “would be rookies”

2. Spencer Sova
Speaking of rocketing up rankings, let me introduce you to Spencer Sova, who is bound to be one of the best skaters available for the 2022 NHL Draft. He has that effortless, yet powerful stride like Jamie Drysdale, Cale Makar, etc. Some of the things he did at this event were breathtaking. If he comes to Erie next season and performs well, he is going to rocket up draft charts and be a potential lottery selection. I actually thought Sova played well in his own end here too. He has made some massive gains in his game since I saw him last as a U16 player.

HM: Nolan Lalonde
The youngest goalie at the event, Lalonde had his moments. Quite frankly, most 16/17 year old goaltenders struggle in their first OHL season, so it should not have come as a surprise to see his performance as inconsistent at the event. The big shock was seeing him measure in at 6'3, a full three inches more than his last OHL measurement. That's a huge growth spurt. He is going to be someone on the scouting radar next year as he vies for the starting job in Erie. At least he now knows what to expect from OHL caliber shooters.

here is also this on Spencer Sova

But carry on!

It was a joke, heence the laughing.

Mark is one of the more 'rosy' local reporters with regards to local players, but that doesn't mean those players are not good.

Chill, have a bit of fun once and a while my friend :)

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It was a joke, heence the laughing.

Mark is one of the more 'rosy' local reporters with regards to local players, but that doesn't mean those players are not good.

Chill, have a bit of fun once and a while my friend :)
Sorry, I interpreted the wink face as more sarcastic in nature. Mark is generally positive but so are most. Victor Fernandes was the worst with nothing but roses and dandelions

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Nothing personal taken, I'm not gonna be dishing anything personal

The simple matter of OA selection comes with this.

Austen Swankler is a known locker room cancer, from what I've talked and heard about is that we're likely not even going to dish him because of the awful reputation he has because we can't get a team to take him. On top of that, at multiple points I've heard he's clashed with other teammates, fought with other teammates, disrespected staff, billets, volunteers, etc. Keep in mind if you're an organization such as Erie, these are just the things I myself have heard, not everything that's actually happened. I've spoken with probably 1/3-1/2 of the team and a decent amount of them have had something unusual to say about the guy. I even heard that Lockhart and him absolutely hate each other. So there's a hot chance you could say they won't even want to be on a line together.
Even before he came to Erie, most people knew about his attitude issues and his drama, hence why he even switched leagues in the first place.

Even if you take all of what I just wrote above, which is purely from things I've heard and talked about with people, you still have Austen Swankler, the producing OFFENSIVE forward. When you look at Erie, we're statistically the shortest team in the OHL I'm pretty sure. We're also one of the only teams that have a relatively good defensive structure and play. We were one of the lowest-scoring teams in the league yet we put up decent defensive zone numbers in advanced statistics. If you take out the fact that the majority of Swanklers points came from Yetman, Golod, Fowler, or Drysdale, you realistically can replace him with most players on this team. How difficult is it to get points when you have a 40 goal scorer, 70+ point producer, a solid playmaker, and the arguably top defenceman in the league helping you. Regardless, he still has to score these goals and make those passes, he's a talented player and he has offensive upside. However, when you look at his time distribution on the ice and his most efficient areas of play, they're primarily offensive and primarily Power Play. Swankler was on the powerplay the majority of the year, on a powerplay that had an abysmal season all things considered. Most goals from our powerplay came from Yetman or Golod. To say that Swankler can put up 60+ points in a season isn't unrealistic, it can happen, but to keep an offensive, locker room cancer in your room is a death sentence, especially when you want your OA group to be leaders. The amount of influence your OA group has on a younger core, ESPECIALLY on a team that missed a whole season and will have about half the team being rookies, is immense.

When you look at a guy like D'amato, you have a 6'2 frame, speed, improving scoring ability, offensive-leaning 2 way player. He works his bag off no matter the scenario, he has a great motor, he's had to work for everything considering he broke his Femur in his minor midget year and came in as a midget draft pick. He is without a doubt someone we would keep. I don't hear much about him from other people other than the usual, he's a well rounded kid with a good head on his shoulders, he has the drive necessary to push him into becoming a standout OA player. The issue with him comes with the possibility that he doesn't produce due to injury and other setbacks mentally, his strength is something I'd be worried about considering he's on the lighter side of 6'2. Other than that he's a safe pick as an OA

One of the things I noticed about him regarding his playing time, he played powerplay 3 times this entire year.

And guess who with, and how many times they scored?

Hoffmann-Sellan-D'amato

2/3

If I'm not wrong it was against Saginaw both times before the season ended. The only reason I remember is that my wife said they looked like waterbugs on cocaine when they wanted the puck back.

I understand your argument against Sellan though, he's more skilled from a stickhandling point of view than either Hoffmann or D'amato or Swankler or Sproule. He just doesn't have 3 key things. 1. Size 2. Speed 2. Physicality. All three things are huge for players who want to excel considering today's game and how it's changed from 10 years ago. Sellan is a 2 way forward with a good mind for offensive structure and playmaking, simple matter of fact is that if he can't keep up with anyone on his team then he'll be a liability. However, he's arguably one of the most poised players on the team, he has the ability to finish offensive plays with his mind quicker than anyone I've seen on the returning group. He had a good amount of points throughout the showcase and has shown he can finish at a good efficiency against high-caliber players, now we have to see if that can translate to the season.

Hoffmann should be a lock coming back, the guy is 6'3-4 and he's an absolute freight train. Despite being an OA there's a ton of untapped potential. If he can have a resurgence of scoring ability and remain as physically strong and fast he is, he can be an absolute head turner come October. Hoffmann is bigger, stronger, arguably faster if not almost as fast as D'amato, and has all the defensive upside you can look for in a two-way power forward. He was tied for most goals in the tournament and led the tournament in Faceoff Percentage as well as defensive zone efficiency. On top of that, talk amongst scouts was that he was hospitalized during the tournament for stomach flu/food poisoning apparently and he never missed a game. Another easy upside for Hoffmann is that his reputation amongst not only fans and people around Erie but also amongst players and scouts is that of a leader and an admirable guy. The downside of Hoffmann comes from his consistency and his stickhandling. He needs to be able to add finesse to his game or else he'll crumble. He has the most effective and hardest shot I've seen in a while, and yet his skill level and offensive drive hinders him from using it. However, his size, strength, defensive ability is something that literally places him in the top 3 defensive forwards in advanced stats in the entire OHL. That is something you don't have that often, especially since the last player to possess that title and ability was Kyle Petit, and before that I don't think Erie had one.

And here's the other part where I don't disagree with you.

I don't believe that they will keep the line together the entire season.

HSD will likely be split up if it's the type of season we want it to be.

D'amato-Hoffmann-Saganiuk
Lockhart-Cohen-Sellan
Sedore-Terrance-Bressette
Lowe-Artichuk- Ross

Or

Lockhart-Hoffmann-Saganiuk
D'amato-Cohen-Bressette
Sedore-Terrance-Sellan
Lowe-Artichuk-Ross

You could realistically mix it up, OR, you could keep it the same and allow other lines to get the chemistry together, as opposed to getting chemistry with forwards who will be gone in a year.

It's a simple matter of what works better together. Because there's one thing you missed when it comes to what you said:

The Otters haven't played in 16 months, and you have a line that's still got chemistry in your OA group, that's a lucky thing in today's OHL atmosphere, most teams have 0 chemistry or barely any at all between most returning players.

On top of that, if there's one line I want to have the identity and drive to motivate my younger core team, it would be a line that performs such as HSD. Because I will say, they absolutely do not have the skill such as Debrincat-Elie-Strome, or any other known line from our previous years, but they work damn near harder than them.
Amazing write up Leo!!
Points well taken and respected. You need to offer your insight here more often lol

As for the lines, I like your 2nd proposed option most but I will point out that the faceoffs/center play on this team has been lacking. A true center that can win draws and playmake in the middle has been lacking since Strome. Imo you need a top end center or 2 to have any sniff at winning. They need to develop that more and I think it’s why they targeted Lockhart in 2019 and Terrance now

So with that, I really hope Lockhart is given another chance at his center spot. I have size issues still but from what I heard and read, he’s been working heavily on adding strength/size this offseason. We will see where he is at come fall but he’s going to be bigger. It’s just how much bigger. Terrance and Lowe, given their natural size, should probably be the other center options
Something like Hoffmann / Lockhart / Terrance / Lowe down the middle makes sense for the future. Cohen that other center option because he has the chance to have a bigger frame. Shelter Saganiuk with Hoffmann and give Lockhart a chance with Danny.

I will agree that I want Hoffmann and Danny. From everything I hear and see, they are good players to have on the team and representing the organization. Add to it they have good size. Danny more skill and upside for a breakout year but Hoffmann with his huge frame could also explode this year. You won’t get as much trade value for them compared to what they could potentially do this year.

If what you say about Swankler is true, I agree they need to move on. I just hope that would be the reason and not because of Hartsburg and his own deficiencies. Swankler still has the most offensive upside of the OAs. But I understand not wanting that locker room culture especially when Erie focuses on that more than most teams. Brown alluded to it hundreds of times before and noted it yet again after the 2021 draft. It’s partly why they didn’t draft certain players before in the first round. And it’s particularly concerning if Lockhart is not a fan just because that’s one of your “core” younger guys that is crucial to the next 2-3 years. He needs to be in the right mindset and not have distractions like that

Again, I want it put out there that I don’t want a locker cancer. But I don’t want Erie to bail on someone, especially one with good upside they need, if they didn’t exhaust things to make it work out. Hopefully they tried to resolve the issues and worked with the kid to help him be a team guy first. There has been 1.5 years off. Maybe they had conversations to work things out. If not, that’s on them, the team, too. If the team has attempted to resolve things, than peace out

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Sorry, I interpreted the wink face as more sarcastic in nature. Mark is generally positive but so are most. Victor Fernandes was the worst with nothing but roses and dandelions

All good.

They all are fairly glowing, playing to the audience. I remember OHL Insiders kind of calling him out for only giving Hoffman credit for the event.

I don't know Victor but I would assume he was there for the Bassin years? Hard to fluff that one up.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
I think Hartsburg will keep the OA trio together which I worry about. Again, even from a size perspective it makes ZERO sense. You add in the inexperience (which everyone will be dealing with I admit) and you are left with potential disaster.

I would like to see the 3 OAs split to two lines or ideally 3. But if Sellan is one of them, then he will offer little to support a young/small/inexperienced guy given his own limitations

If all three of those OAs are on the team, then Erie in a world of hurt.

If Hoffman on the 1st line, another disaster.

Their best offensive players should be Saganiuk, Swankler, D'Amato, Lockhart, Cohen. Home town boys cannot always get full immunity. JMO

Reactions: Mata and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
All good.

They all are fairly glowing, playing to the audience. I remember OHL Insiders kind of calling him out for only giving Hoffman credit for the event.

I don't know Victor but I would assume he was there for the Bassin years? Hard to fluff that one up.

ahh yes I remember him calling out an Erie based “article” which to be fair to that news station they don’t follow or know shit about hockey let alone the OHL. Mark was not affliated with them. I think he is strictly THW. Though resides in Erie. But he had learned more as weeks went on and actually went to the event. He properly credited all. But Hoffmann with his connection to Erie as player and even living near the area probably got that immediate credit when nobody knew what the heck this was. I’m sure he was crucial in securing the venue or starting those talks

Vic Fernandes left in 2018 I think..? If not 2019. But he was here long before and very much when Bassin was here. He was over the top biased.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If all three of those OAs are on the team, then Erie in a world of hurt.
If Hoffman on the 1st line, another disaster.
Their best offensive players should be Saganiuk, Swankler, D'Amato, Lockhart, Cohen. Home town boys cannot always get full immunity. JMO
I don’t disagree. Hoffmann has great tools to be a role player and support player. His size though the biggest thing. Given the smaller nature of some other players, they NEED Hoffmann’s 6’3 220 frame in the top 6. Unless someone like Terrance/Lowe takes over

I also agree with the forward list. Yes, those are their most talented/experienced for 2021 or better yet the ones they need.

But if we assume Swankler is out of the lineup, then something like this makes sense:

DAmato - Lockhart - Sproule/Sellan
Cohen - Hoffmann - Saganiuk
Sedore/Ross- Terrance/Lowe - Bressette
Sedore/Ross - Terrance/Lowe - Artichuk/extra

I just think they need to spread the OAs and in an ideal world spread Lockhart/Danny
Saganiuk/Cohen to two different lines. This lineup spreads the potential size concern and I think Erie could look to flip trade a 2002 for another 2002 with more size for help in that area.

The biggest wildcards are Lockhart/Cohen in how much strength they put on. They weren’t in the PBHH showcase so I have no idea. Saganiuk/Ross with good talent but limited size and experience

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
"Hoffmann should be a lock coming back, the guy is 6'3-4 and he's an absolute freight train. Despite being an OA there's a ton of untapped potential. If he can have a resurgence of scoring ability and remain as physically strong and fast he is, he can be an absolute head turner come October. Hoffmann is bigger, stronger, arguably faster if not almost as fast as D'amato, and has all the defensive upside you can look for in a two-way power forward."

He scored 40 pts in 2 full years and 24 goals, and less points then his linemates #17 and #44. Only scored 2 more goals then Damato in those 2 years, and I believe Damato got less PP and PK time then Hoffman.

Most OHL teams wouldnt accept him as an OA.

Sorry guys, want Erie to do well but if we are banking on the above, then we may finish last in the league. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad