Erie Otters 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Gosh darn it I was going to predict Erie was going to do something like this because it made too much sense. I was also JUST about to post it but thought they were less creative than that. Oh Dave, you read my mind!

I was also going to post that the Otters would make 2 round picks for the first time since 2012. The only team with a longer active streak was Barrie Colts but they also had 2 first round picks in 2016. But alas, Erie will go yet another year without 2 picks in round 2

That said they get 54 and 70 which offers them much more flexibility to build depth which I like.

Earlier this week Erie had these picks in the top 8 rounds:

Round 1, pick 10
Round 2, pick 21
Round 6, pick 110
Round 7, pick 129
Round 8, pick 143
Round 8, pick 150

Huge gap from 21 to 110 which meant they had to hit big on their first 2 picks and get lucky elsewhere.

As of today (and I assume this is it with the moves) they have this in the top 8 rounds

Round 1, pick 10
Round 2, pick 21
Round 3, pick 54
Round 4, pick 70
Round 6, pick 103
Round 7, pick 128
Round 7, pick 129
Round 8, pick 143
Round 8, pick 150

they went from 6 picks to 9 picks and most importantly added 2 picks in the top 100 (while also moving their 6th round pick up 7 spots)

I think Dave Brown did well here under the circumstances. If you don’t have draft capital you need to be creative and I think he was. At worse just trade future picks to move up in current draft while Erie gets more on “equal footing” with their stockpile as they still recover from 2013-2017

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Before the draft I will post my guess on what I think Erie’s strategy will be -

Round 1 - Forward
- it sounds like Sima is linked to Erie so if he’s available I’ll be shocked if that’s not their guy

Round 2 / 3
- they will definitely grab a defender with one of these spots but I’ll guess the other is a smaller less ready prospect. Erie has a pretty filled roster compared to most teams so they don’t need to reach on a forward here if they grab one at 10th overall. I would imagine they go for project type/smaller or possible NCAA linked player

Round 4
- This is where Erie snags an American and/or Pittsburgh Pens player to continue that tradition. I’ll be really disappointed if they don’t at least take their chances on 1 guy from that program considering they have 16 picks

Round 6 / 7 / 8
- with 4 picks here they surely grab a goalie here, maybe even two

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yawn yawn yawn to the people who think Erie was “fleeced” by Niagara with the pick swaps

They moved 39 for 54 and 70. I’m sorry but after the top 30, picks are a crapshoot. Some years better than others but it’s really personal preference and taste anyways. Some players need to grow/get bigger. Others may not even want to come to OHL or may be buried on bad team. While others could have just been benefiting from a great team.

It’s so hard to predict success outside the top players. And again even those guys are not 100%. Unless Erie had a “target” at 39.. it means nothing. But a targeted player is not really a thing in the OHL Draft because it’s so unpredictable.. mock drafts are unsuccessful because 95% of people disagree on the top 5 players let alone the top 10 or top 20

I trust Erie’s scouting more than 80% of the league.
But to show you how hard it is .. here are some of their recent picks near range 30-40 overall

Jake Lawr, 28th overall in 2014
Justin Felker, 35th overall in 2012
Jake Evans, 34th in 2011

Most recent 39 overall picks across the league (2012-2018)

Jon Duchesne, 2012
Mitch Webb, 2013
Jonah Gadjovich, 2014
Kyle Auger, 2015
DJ King, 2016
Jack Quinn, 2017
Will Portokalis, 2018

There is only 3 players there you would want at that spot. Point is .. it’s hard. The OHL draft is hard. Having more picks just gives you more opportunity. From 2010-2019, here are some names Erie picked from 54-85:

Darren Raddysh 2012 (84th)
Trent Fox 2013 (80th)
Kyle Maksmovich 2014 (59th)
Mitch Byrne 2014 (85th)
Josh Wainman 2015 (71st)
Jack Duff 2016 (87th)
Brett Bressette 2019 (65th)
Christian Kyrou 2019 (84th)

.. just missing the cut was Brett Neumann at 53rd in 2015

let me also add that the last time Erie had 4 picks in the top 70 was 2014.. which was a great draft for them I might add. With COVID skipping a year of development or potential for trades/adding picks that way, imo teams need to be getting some insurance in their system depth and making up for years lost of time. Again, they missed a full year of their signed players getting better and their system (unsigned) players developing and/or missed their chance to sign Americans who are now leary of OHL. I think it makes amazing sense to refuel the tank. More players. More prospects

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Couple notes from Neutral Zone on top players so far at PBHH showcase

Among top 5 of underagers playing (late 03s/04s), Spencer Sova has stood out for his top level skating, puck skills, and quick decision making

Among top 5-10 overagess (02s/01s), Dan D’Amato has stood out with his speed and skating. Also Cam Morton has stood out and the scout noting he has great toughness and plays a “nice, honest” game.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Sima would make sense for Erie in the 1st round. Akey, the speedy right shot Dman makes sense for the 2nd round. Would love to see them get Svoboda out of the Burgh, but don't think he'll drop that far.

Reactions: NOA

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Otters get Carey Terrance, said to be the fastest skater in this draft. That'll work.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Otters get Carey Terrance, said to be the fastest skater in this draft. That'll work.
Wow really thought it would be Sima but I’m just glad they went with a forward who isn’t 5’8 or under. We need some more size

Now get Svoboda at 21 if available

edit: if sima falls there they might be going with that considering they were linked there

Last edited:
Reactions: ZinErie

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Akey goes 19th to Barry. Sima is still on the board.
Wellllppp guess they didn’t like Sima Ha .. I think this Dave Brown toying with OHLInsiders thinking he knows the scoop. Probably put out fake ideas that Sima was their guy just to get one over on him. Wouldn’t put it past Dave

they go with a Marlboros kid at 21. They do love them Marlboros players

Have to imagine defense in the 3rd. Unless they are super confident in signing Murphy/Geary or others

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
It wasn't just OHL Insiders that linked Sima to Erie though. The one scouting service had Sima as their 7th ranked player and the kid Erie took , Murphy as outside the top 50. He's supposedly an impressive forechecker.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It wasn't just OHL Insiders that linked Sima to Erie though. The one scouting service had Sima as their 7th ranked player and the kid Erie took , Murphy as outside the top 50. He's supposedly an impressive forechecker.
I only say Insiders because he’s a public account that I’ve heard Dave Brown is not a huge fan of. Also, to be fair to him.. he’s usually accurate. He predicted Sova last year and has nailed huge trades like Cirelli. He’s clearly connected and was outspoken that Erie liked him. So even if Erie didn’t go there at 10, it’s surprising they went elsewhere at 21 too

But on a side note... Yup Terrance is fast. Also note that Artichuk received votes here too. Erie valuing speed once again

Combine his speed with Lockhart, DAmato, Sova, Saganiuk, Ross.. to name a few. I like it!

Attachments

• 02DCD959-B768-4B02-BE88-9242F70630F0.jpeg
    02DCD959-B768-4B02-BE88-9242F70630F0.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: ZinErie

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Lol I love this kid already. Tremendous name, not afraid to play his game, and now the type of confidence only a kid can have. Let’s go Taeo!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Through 7 rounds and still no Pens player.. I really hope they take one to again just extend that relationship with the program because I do think it’s important to have

still no goalie either but we did see our first US/college type pick with Pirtle in the 7th

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie takes Lockhart’s younger brother, Seamus. That’s always fun to have brothers!

Btw, Erie must not like Pens Elite guys this year or they know none are interested in OHL route . Through 8 rounds, none taken league wide..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Heights/weights taken at PBHH on Friday in Erie
Here are the Erie players represented

OAs:
D’Amato 6’1 180
Hoffmann 6’3 225
Sellan 5’9 177
Sproule 5’11 170

Of note for OAs, DAmato was listed at 162lbs on 2019-20 roster. Sellan was 166. Sproule has disappointedly not added much weight. He was previously listed at 5’10 167

Hoffmann the biggest growth here as he was listed at 6’2 205.

Others:
Morton 6’3 211
Sedore 5’9 168
Bressette 5’10 156
Campbell 6’6 205

Morton was previously listed at 6’1 192
Campbell was previously 6’5 188
Bressette was previously 5’8 155
Sedore was previously 5’8 156

New players:
Sova 6’1 174
Ross 5’6 152
Lalonde 6’3 184
Saganiuk 5’4 141

Sova was listed at 5’11 163 in 2020 draft
Ross was listed at 5’5 149
Lalonde was listed at 5’11 168
Saganiuk was listed as bigger. He is indeed really small..

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for all the updates NOA. I didn't realize Saganiuk was that small, should be really interesting to watch him this coming season.

I'm not going to pretend to guess whether or not this was a good draft, but I trust Dave Brown and company. It will be very interesting to see if they make a pick in the import draft, whenever that ends up happening.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Thanks for all the updates NOA. I didn't realize Saganiuk was that small, should be really interesting to watch him this coming season.

I'm not going to pretend to guess whether or not this was a good draft, but I trust Dave Brown and company. It will be very interesting to see if they make a pick in the import draft, whenever that ends up happening.

I believe the import draft is set for June 30th.

the Saganiuk size thing is intriguing... I mean we saw DeBrincat overcome it. And at the CHL level many guys, even just in Erie, have had success. Cazzola, Luciani.. but 5’7 is much different..
Pretty confident in saying Saganiuk would be the smallest guy in team history.

That said he’s played high level before with US so I don’t think it will be a daunting task for him to find a role. Smallest OHL guy I can think of that had success was Danny Erlich but I looked it up and he was listed at 5’6 (lol no way .. not buying that). I also thought of Nathan Gerbe at NHL level. He is 5’4 so that’s your best comp. Gerbe had a nice career too but played college not CHL

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I think the natural progression of most major sports leagues is built around bigger, faster, stronger to a point. It was nice seeing Carey Terrance being 6 foot tall and about 170 with elite skating/speed.

There were games in the last season (played) where our forwards were manhandled by the bigger defenses (Guelph, London, Kitchener). By adding a little size up front while keeping true to elite skating I believe will give us that advantage back. Not that I don't enjoy Connor Lockhart with his tremendous upside, but even he said his strength/confidence were two things he needed to work on being a smaller player.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
My Draft recap:

We will determine any potential draft grade in about 3 years but in the meantime I’ll share my thoughts on Erie’s approach to the draft

What I Liked

I said it before and Mata has alluded to it too but Erie needed to start adding some more size to their team.

it’s something I think they have clearly lacked in recent years and though not their sole issue when it comes to winning games, I think it has made it harder on developing that type of culture where you can take a hit, give a hit. Hard to develop that when half the team is too small to engage in it. And I think it’s also harder for undersized guys to make immediate impact when their potential biggest asset (skating/speed) has to still adjust to older, better players. It’s why Lockhart struggled to find any consistency last year imo

Some insight into this. Since 2016, here are the amount of players Erie drafted that were over 6’0

2020 - 4 (3 were in rounds 12-15)
2019 - 3
2018 - 2
2017 - 4
2016 - 7

They also had not taken a 6’0 or above player in the first 6 rounds since 2016 (Jack Duff). That is a total of 22 straight players selected in rounds 1-6 after Duff that were 5’11 or lower

2021 - 8

This year they selected 8 guys over 6’0, including 3 in the first 4 rounds and Terrance in the 1st
The last time they took a first rounder with some size (over 6’0) was Taylor Raddysh in 2014
I think most impressively for Erie is they didn’t sacrifice speed/skating for size. Teams in the NHL let alone the OHL still do it.. they still want the 6’4 guy who has cement skates. I personally have no use for it especially in the top 4-5 rounds. Skill is still the hardest thing to find, not size. Combining both is another level of difficulty but Terrance is an elite skater and has some size to his game that he isn’t afraid to use to drive the net or hit someone along the boards.

This may be the first time I am confident their 1st round rookie forward (not including Drysdale) could produce out the gate. Though Raddysh, McShane, Lodnia all ended up producing early, I wasn’t sure they could given their size/skating, or just how the roster was built. As an aside, Nick Sima did look like a solid option at 10 (loved his shot from highlights) and though he had some speed when he got moving, he appeared to be sort of a clunky skater which doesn’t totally mesh with Erie’s recent philosophy of top end skating, especially in early rounds. So I’m not surprised Terrance is their guy as it’s exactly what they need/want.

Terrance could have been a top 5 pick if you just looked at skating/size combination and I’ll bet Erie would have snagged him earlier than 10 too. When you watch Terrance skate it is effortless and elite. Granted this is only highlights but it appears to be special already and he’s 16... If he can continue to combine that with size to his game at the next level and is able to finish scoring chances, he’s going to be a reallllly nice player for us

Taeo Artichuk has a smaller frame but great skating as well and tremendous hands. He’s listed at 5’10 but man he looks small in videos. He certainly needs to add some weight but based on his quotes early with Erie media, he’s a fun character. Brown has noted that they stressed pre draft interviews this year more than most. I have a feeling Taeo moved up high for them off those interviews . He seems like a confident and hard working player that can bring energy on/off ice. Fan favorite type for sure.

Everything I read has Taeo as someone who could have went in round 1 all the way to someone as a late second round/ early 3rd pick. Either way the size being his biggest concern/area to improve. I’m much more comfortable with Erie taking this type of player in round 2 (highly skilled/needs to get bigger) as opposed to round 1. So I think this was a good get for them.

What I Didn’t Like
Erie did 2 things I didn’t like

They didn’t take any Pens Elite players/they didn’t take much of any US gambles. The only two are Pirtle and Hopewell. Though Pirtle looks like a nice player, I’m not sure what to make of Hopewell yet. I really wanted them to continue building a super strong relationship with the Pens program but nothing.. even though there was at least 2/3 guys that were clearly worthy. To be fair to them, only Brandon Svoboda was drafted out of there and that was Round 12 by Flint. So it’s possible or maybe even likely that Erie did talked to several players there and all indicated they had zero OHL interest. But I don’t think it hurts to just throw 1 swing in the last few rounds on a player that if he ever changed his mind and signed would be a nice grab. I mean Erie was able to convince Owen Headrick at the last second and that really helped contribute to an OHL title in 2017. I felt with 16 picks, they could have taken another gamble or two

Only taking 2 goalies and one being a US player who has USHL option and likely college options is risky. Sure it is possible Erie has a solid belief that Hopewell will be an option for them in 2 years but kids change their mind often. Erie has never really had elite level goaltending and the only exceptions are some import goalies. I think it’s something they still need to solve but doesn’t help when you take 2 in a draft and 1 is a US gamble and the other is a 14th round pick. I would have liked to see them take another goalie in the 6-8 range.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Otters take Anthony Piccininno in U18. I was able to see that he was considered a top 100-200 prospect in 2020 draft. These draft rankings are silly and everyone has their own perspective but interesting to see that he was someone who at least some people viewed as a legit mid-late round draft pick

g
iven their current roster status I don’t believe he will have much of any chance to make the team because they seem pretty filled, but you never know.
2020 OHL Draft Ranking: Final Top-250 Canadians

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Final stats from PBHH showcase

*does not include top prospects game

Dark Blue Team:
Hoffmann 9gp 7g 2a 9pts (T-6th on team)
DAmato 9gp 6g 7a 13pts (1st on team)
Sproule 9gp 6g 4a 10pts (5th on team)
Sellan 9gp 6g 6a 12pts (T-2nd on team)
Sova 9gp 3g 4a 7pts (7th team, 2nd among D)

Light Blue Team:
Bressette 9gp 1g 5a 6pts
Sedore 8gp 3g 2a 5pts (t-9th on team)

Team Yellow:
Saganiuk 8gp 5g 4a 9pts (T-1st on team)

Team Green:
Morton 8gp 0g 2a 2pts
Ross 8gp 6g 2a 8pts (T-3rd on team)

Goalies:
Lalonde 4gp, .896% (5 out of 13 goalies)
Campbell 4gp, .782%

Everyone I think did great overall it appears. With the exception of Campbell. Yikes. When he’s on, he’s amazing but his consistency issues are extremely concerning. I thought about just going Campbell/Lalonde this year and moving on from any hope of Kolosov but I don’t think Erie can because I don’t think Campbell is close to ready for a #1 job. Or at least I have zero confidence in that.

Last edited:
Reactions: EON and Mata
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad