Erie Otters 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Also, still waiting on Mark Scheig to do his end of season article on the team, but given how much he was absent this season, not sure it amounts to much. If anyone follows him and/or sees the article drop, please post here.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Import has to just be based on standings. In which case, Erie will be top 12. I think they will be at 12th overall as the OHL had the first pick last year in the import. Either way, 10-12th overall.
Thanks, I couldn’t remember who drafted first and knew it had to be atleast 12th at the latest.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Recent GoErie article has Brown stating that he spent more work on this years draft class than he has in a “long, long time.” For those on here that were upset Brown hasn’t been seen at games in Erie, he literally was on the road all year scouting players because he knows the importance of nailing his top few picks. Given the state of the team, Brown doing a deep dive this year into the scouting world is much more significant than watching games at EIA…

Happy to hear this and assuming true, they have no excuse on their 2nd overall pick. That has to be a slam dunk pick.

Reactions: Mata

TDTDTD

Mar 5, 2019
Going to be a hard sell to play here. Anyone who knows anything about hockey can see this team does not develop talent well. If my kid was talented enough to be considered for the OHL, this wouldn’t be a team at the top of my list.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Going to be a hard sell to play here. Anyone who knows anything about hockey can see this team does not develop talent well. If my kid was talented enough to be considered for the OHL, this wouldn’t be a team at the top of my list.
Doesn't develop talent under Hartsburg, sure. Didn't under Knoblaugh, hogwash...

Doesn't under BJ/Vince, jury is still out.

However, 25th out of 60 teams

Erie is NOT as bad as you're trying to make it out to be.

Also, we currently have 24 players in the NHL, 4th most out of all OHL teams.

Not a bad number if you ask me from a team that doesn't develop talent.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Doesn't develop talent under Hartsburg, sure. Didn't under Knoblaugh, hogwash...

Doesn't under BJ/Vince, jury is still out.

However, 25th out of 60 teams

Erie is NOT as bad as you're trying to make it out to be.

Also, we currently have 24 players in the NHL, 4th most out of all OHL teams.

Not a bad number if you ask me from a team that doesn't develop talent.
100%

And not only that… as much as I rag on Hartsburg, it’s not like they had the best draft selections or options for him to build around. The ever so amazing Dale Hunter would have had struggles with the roster and would have had a low ceiling. They were dealt a hard hand given the amount they sold off in the 2013-2017 runs. Golod, Yetman, DAmato all developed nicely. All signed pro contracts. Drysdale did what he was always going to do and made the NHL already. Kyrou another name that took a huge step.

Who else do you want to go to as a player? Sudbury? Their track record isn’t better. Saginaw? Not much going on there. Niagara has their own issues right now with ownership. At least Erie can put Connor McDavid on the phone to speak to his enjoyed time in this city.

Erie is picking at the top for a reason - they haven’t been able to win. But about 50% of that is tied COMPLETELY to a 4 year run that NO TEAM in CHL history ever made, from the standpoint of going all in for that long of a period of time. Majority of teams go for it just 1 year then sell off the next year. At most you might get back to back years of going all in. But never 3 straight years, let alone 4. The rest of their struggles are tied to coaching and the pandemic being just back luck with timing which resulted in the team losing Drysdale, Golod, Yetman for nothing in return.

But I will say that it’s a reason I want to move on from BJ as a head coach (though I don’t expect it). Because we do need to ensure our young players are developing, especially the forwards. And BJ is a defensive coach

Reactions: OttersFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad