Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Erie has drafted 10 players in the U18 draft and only 1 has made the league and he has 0.17 goals per game as a forward. I'm sorry but that is not having success in the U18 draft. I think there's a really strong argument to be made that only 2 teams in the entire league could say they've 'had success in the draft" and that's SBY and OS.

And SBY has gotten a backup goalie who really struggled and a Dman who many fans don't think is good enough to be an OA for them next year as their only 2 signings, and they're pretty easily the 2nd best team in terms of talent gotten out of this draft all-time lol

This system hurts players without a doubt. Before this players could pick a team which makes sense for them and have a good shot of making the team, now they're stuck going to whatever team drafts them, even if they don't have a fit. For example, whoever the Gens draft tomorrow will not make the team this year, there's no chance. But if that player got to choose and signed with Niagara, he'd have a way better chance to have a good camp and make the team. I don't see this draft helping players very much. The guys who grew or got better in midget found there ways to the league before this draft (i.e. Cirelli)

I'd like to make the argument that D'Amato is one of the most hardworking players on our team. Sure, we have our top forwards, but D'Amato NEVER takes a shift off and has truly proved himself to be a huge asset to the team. He probably won't be first line talent, but he's a strong third player as many have mentioned and has proven that he deserves to be in the OHL. I don't think the point of this draft is to be "over a point per game" player, but to allow players such as D'Amato to have a second chance after being injured his draft year. He would have been drafted at 16 when it was his time, but injuries took that away from him.

Sure, many kids drafted in the U18 won't see the roster, however, it's not to say there can't be success from getting picked through an "untraditional" route. I believe that if you are getting drafted especially through this style draft, you have to make the most of the opportunity. Of course, staying close to home would be ideal for most players, but this is a second chance to have a second look to hopefully make an impact on whichever team it may be.

Reactions: 7D442

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
DAmato is an all around good player. Is a star forward? No. But he’s the perfect depth piece to have on a team because of his well rounded play. He was a +15 on a team that was -7 GD. Out of all their 2001 born forwards (6 players), I put him as the 3rd most talented behind Fowler and Swankler. Imo he’s an OA player on most teams.

(For comparison sake - He would be the second best 2001 forward on Oshawa, behind only Tomasino who very well could make the NHL next year)

Reactions: OHL Fan

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Man I really hope Erie is able to sign Saganiuk, Khusnutdinov and another import for next season

It will be very difficult to do and I have limited hope of it happening but the depth on this team with 3 top level additions would be i•n•s•a•n•e

I still hate the coaching and Brown has bothered me of late but if he pulls all that off (plus signs Ross which is looking likely), then he just built the best depth roster in the entire league and did so with all home grown talent (Erie drafted players). The lone exceptions would be Fowler/Swankler who were both added during the sell off and weren’t players Erie went out and got as “buyers”

It would just be a remarkable story. Without trades, Erie would have 15/16 OHL talented forwards, and another 8/9 defenders. That doesn’t even count 2003/2004 drafted players that are still developing.. Would allow them to flip 2/3 players for some decent assets and still be able to roll 4 good lines.

Considering their lack of high picks the last 4/5 drafts, if Erie manages to do all of that I mean talk about tremendous drafting/developing. The crazy thing is that it’s not completely crazy to think it could happen. Khusnutdinov could really come down to what NHL team drafts him and whether his claim that he actually had interest last year was a true statement. If he even considered Erie but just wanted to stay home for another year Russia, then Erie has a great chance at him. The other import is an unknown right now. Saganiuk the least likely by far but even in that scenario it comes down to Erie selling him. He would likely get way more ice time in Erie over the NDT. PSU is a great program but recent alum to come through Erie is significantly better

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Erie picks up RD, Ethan Broderick in the 1st round of the 2020 U18 draft.

'19-20 SeasonSCTAMJGuelph3271623 24
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie picks up RD, Ethan Broderick in the 1st round of the 2020 U18 draft.

'19-20 SeasonSCTAMJGuelph327162324
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Will be tough for him to crack the lineup given the depth of bodies on the defensive side

Even if Erie moves on from Henry and Kischnick (which both could be likely) they still have

Drysdale
Duff
Morton
Gillard
Kyrou
Sova

And Lonsdale, Murphy, Johnston, Geary will have the chance to compete. Olson could still be lurking. Though Broderick is a right shot so that helps his chances bit. Doesn’t hurt to add another guy to the depth chart though. Let them compete it out

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Erie has drafted 10 players in the U18 draft and only 1 has made the league and he has 0.17 goals per game as a forward. I'm sorry but that is not having success in the U18 draft. I think there's a really strong argument to be made that only 2 teams in the entire league could say they've 'had success in the draft" and that's SBY and OS.

And SBY has gotten a backup goalie who really struggled and a Dman who many fans don't think is good enough to be an OA for them next year as their only 2 signings, and they're pretty easily the 2nd best team in terms of talent gotten out of this draft all-time lol

This system hurts players without a doubt. Before this players could pick a team which makes sense for them and have a good shot of making the team, now they're stuck going to whatever team drafts them, even if they don't have a fit. For example, whoever the Gens draft tomorrow will not make the team this year, there's no chance. But if that player got to choose and signed with Niagara, he'd have a way better chance to have a good camp and make the team. I don't see this draft helping players very much. The guys who grew or got better in midget found there ways to the league before this draft (i.e. Cirelli)
Serensits is definitely a D who can play in this league, we just have a ton of D and committed to Samuelsson when we brought him over. Personally I'd rather have Serensits.

Reactions: NOA

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Erie picks, goaltender, Marshall Nicholls in the 2nd round of the 2020 U18 draft.

5'10".5, 155lbs

18 GP - 1.55 GAA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Broderick was ranked #206 and with a 3.5/5 rating in his 2019 draft class. He’s very undersized

Described as “quick and crafty” with great puck possession skills. Was listed at 5’7 and 160lbs for his draft year. Without growing, not sure he can contribute full time in the OHL as a defender.
Nice pick to add someone with great skating/skill who might just be limited or overlooked because of his size.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Erie picks Blake Yetman, RW in the 3rd round of the 2020 U18 draft.

Wonder if there's relation to Chad Yetman.

'19-20 SeasonETAMjWhitby36284169 40
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Central Scouting Final Rankings NHL.com Media Site

NA List:
Drysdale - 3rd
Fowler -87th
Swankler - 200th
Golod - 213th
Hoffmann - 217th
Cambell - 28th NA Goalie

Alexander - 161st

Khusnutdinov - 12th on International list

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Blake made a big jump from 18-19 to 19-20 but I assume he was injured in. The 18-19 season has he played half the games. That being said, if he were to add some bulk (he is listed under 130) perhaps he would have a chance. His numbers this past year are pretty solid at almost 2 ppg. Hopefully he at least can come to camp, but if he doesn't put on weight some of these guys will be 60 - 80 pounds heavier and that is just too big if a disadvantage IMO.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Blake made a big jump from 18-19 to 19-20 but I assume he was injured in. The 18-19 season has he played half the games. That being said, if he were to add some bulk (he is listed under 130) perhaps he would have a chance. His numbers this past year are pretty solid at almost 2 ppg. Hopefully he at least can come to camp, but if he doesn't put on weight some of these guys will be 60 - 80 pounds heavier and that is just too big if a disadvantage IMO.

This pick screams as just a pick to get the kid in camp with his brother and “give him a shot.” I look at it as Erie loves Chad for his work ethic, leadership, and overall attitude. He’s worked hard to get to this point. So this is a sign of respect to the family to give his younger brother a “chance”

He has less than a 1% of making of it. If Erie felt he had a top chance they would have taken him in round 1. He is also a 2002 born

Their current forward group is crowded and even if they traded 1/2 of their extra 2001s, that still doesn’t account for possible import signings. Have to also think Ross makes the team if they sign him from OSU. Add in all other 2019, 2020 picks and there isn’t really room for a borderline 2002 guy. Unless he lights it up, he won’t make the full roster. But he will have the chance to prove it at camp like everyone else

Reactions: OttersFan

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
**Breaking News**

Just saw from Brock Otten Colby Saganiuk is signing with Erie!

As you all know huge get for them.
Wow. Significant

Ross is pretty much a done deal too. Now just need Khustnutdinov which will depend a lot on the NHL draft. But he appears to have strong interest right now.

Alexander seems unlikely but Erie should be going back after him after this signing because if they also got him .. look out

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
**Breaking News**

Just saw from Brock Otten Colby Saganiuk is signing with Erie!

As you all know huge get for them.

Now all that's left is a new coaching staff.

One cannot argue that there isn't talent and effort on this team. These kids are going to look explosive on paper and hope that we can see it live.

Glad we could sign him and Ross who seemed thrilled to be drafted here. Erie does tremendous in the draft category finding hidden gems and bringing their prospects here.

Reactions: Mata and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Now all that's left is a new coaching staff.

One cannot argue that there isn't talent and effort on this team. These kids are going to look explosive on paper and hope that we can see it live.

Glad we could sign him and Ross who seemed thrilled to be drafted here. Erie does tremendous in the draft category finding hidden gems and bringing their prospects here.
They aren’t going to be getting a new coach soon imo. But if I had the pick between

1) signing Saganiuk/Ross and looking like Khustnutdinov but keeping Hartsburg

Vs

2) Losing Hartsburg but signing none of those guys..

I’ll take option 1

Yes, ideally we have it all but just saying it was more important for Dave Brown to bring in legit top talent

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
They aren’t going to be getting a new coach soon imo. But if I had the pick between

1) signing Saganiuk/Ross and looking like Khustnutdinov but keeping Hartsburg

Vs

2) Losing Hartsburg but signing none of those guys..

I’ll take option 1

Yes, ideally we have it all but just saying it was more important for Dave Brown to bring in legit top talent
Given the current world situation, I don't see it happening just yet either. I would pick option one as well.

An early off season seems to be working out for Erie.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Given the current world situation, I don't see it happening just yet either. I would pick option one as well.

An early off season seems to be working out for Erie.
I will assume that Hartsburg stays here for the start of the year. Certainly though he has to be on thin ice, pun intended. Can only imagine that Dave is keeping him because he feels they have lacked the talent (which isn’t false, as their high end talent is missing). Dave must feel that with more top skill, things will be better.

I simply can’t bash Brown right now, not even on keeping Hartsburg. Signing Ross/Saganiuk this offseason would be significant. They have a great shot at Khustnutdinov too. Adding those 3 and another import? Sorry, he wins the offseason

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I will assume that Hartsburg stays here for the start of the year. Certainly though he has to be on thin ice, pun intended. Can only imagine that Dave is keeping him because he feels they have lacked the talent (which isn’t false, as their high end talent is missing). Dave must feel that with more top skill, things will be better.

I simply can’t bash Brown right now, not even on keeping Hartsburg. Signing Ross/Saganiuk this offseason would be significant. They have a great shot at Khustnutdinov too. Adding those 3 and another import? Sorry, he wins the offseason
That's a fair analysis. I could quite see that being their move. Brown has done an incredible job. Many of us thought taking a defenseman in the first round was questionable, but should the Saganiuk to Erie move be true, he knew exactly what we needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Does this mean Drysdale is definitely not on the market?
To be fair, he was only on the market in my scenario of planning for the future and complete rebuild mode. I continued to stress that I had major doubts Brown would ever do that

Erie probably was not even thinking about trading him unless they were a bottom 4/5 team in conference.

Saganiuk is also a more significant add to the future. He could certainly contribute big next year but is still undersized and 17 years old/entering new league. Will take some time I imagine. Khusnutdinov would be more of a huge get for this year. But it’s still too early to know. If all goes right for Erie they could be a great team but there are still significant questions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad