Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
MacDougall (along with Hunter) signed with Western Mustangs program. So that means MacDougall is out which is no real surprise. Injuries derailed any momentum he ever seemed to get

That leaves 5 OAs. Henry/Murphy the likely candidates to be traded

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Nobody is bashing Lockhart. For a kid in his second year to be 3rd line ctre is good. I dont consider that a bash. If he can produce with good linemates then he should be drafted.
I didn’t necessarily say you. Just said people all over.

I’m not saying 3rd line center is bad but it’s also fair to think he can be a solid 2nd line center. And I think that favors Erie more in the future to get him into that role. This is a critical year for him. He needs to get ice time even if it’s a bit rough early going. The hope is that he has a big offseason but neither of us know what his season will be until we see his development come fall...

Some examples of year 2 production spikes:

Connor McMichael - 16 to 72 points
Greg McKegg - 18 to 85 points
Kyle Maksimovich - 24 to 71 points
Cole MacKay - 14 to 61 points

We don’t know where Lockhart will be in the fall. We haven’t seen him play since early March
There is this word called development and it means everything. I can think of 100 examples of guys who put up 40/50 points as rookies but fizzled out a bit. Then others who did nothing as a rookie and became stars by year 2/3.

The typical thing you see with someone with Lockhart’s skill and age is probably a 20-30 point increase in production. So that means he would be around 50-55 points. I would be satisfied with that. However, there is a chance he stalls out if he doesn’t get more opportunity with better talent on his lines. Or maybe he and his linemates have a huge summer and he puts up 70 points. We don’t know..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Hard to pick. Erie has had tremendous captains over the year.
McDavid, Strome, Brown, and McKegg recently. But Boyes, Campoli, O’Mara, and Brian Lee were damn good too

I will go
C - Boyes
A - Lee
A - Strome

Loved McDavid but Strome was captain longer and led the team to a title. Always loved Brian Lee on and off the ice

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
For this coming year. YES. If he is in top 3 for this coming year then Erie in a world of hurt. Kid has alot of upside but not physical enough to carry top 2 lines yet. JMO

I don't mean he (Lockhart) will be top 3, just that there is a possibility he could line up in the top 3 certain nights given Hartsburg and his propensity to shuffle lines for no good reason, and heaven forbid the injury bug.

As for Swankler, depending on his growth I could see him challenge Fowler for a first line. They had somewhat identical seasons (yes Fowler was hurt, again), but Fowler gets the edge here, for now.

Lockhart should develop into a top 3, one would hope, and I think he does see some more PP time and maybe a run now and then with the top line depending on the situations at hand.

Reactions: HockeyPops

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Curious if Erie will make a trade soon with their extra OAs. No reason to wait as the prices will only go down. Henry and Murphy seem the most likely to be moved but I get waiting on the decision with Murphy. Makes little sense though to delay with Henry if they know they are moving him.

Rumors are Saginaw is looking for an OA and that could be a fit.

League news regarding import draft: rumors are the draft could be in late June but still nothing official. Erie should be targeting a D-man with their first pick imo

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Curious if Erie will make a trade soon with their extra OAs. No reason to wait as the prices will only go down. Henry and Murphy seem the most likely to be moved but I get waiting on the decision with Murphy. Makes little sense though to delay with Henry if they know they are moving him.

Rumors are Saginaw is looking for an OA and that could be a fit.

League news regarding import draft: rumors are the draft could be in late June but still nothing official. Erie should be targeting a D-man with their first pick imo

I have been hearing rumors, and I hope they are not true, that the OHL could follow MLB and Minor League Baseball and possibly not have a season. That would be devastating.

However, I do agree they should be trying to shop the 1 or 2 overage players they wish to move. I almost wonder if because of the state of things they are holding on now not knowing if maybe Golod moves or perhaps feel they can get more value closer to the import draft/camp.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I have been hearing rumors, and I hope they are not true, that the OHL could follow MLB and Minor League Baseball and possibly not have a season. That would be devastating.

However, I do agree they should be trying to shop the 1 or 2 overage players they wish to move. I almost wonder if because of the state of things they are holding on now not knowing if maybe Golod moves or perhaps feel they can get more value closer to the import draft/camp.
It’s certainly possible the entire season is canceled, mostly because of the crowd issue. OHL can and won’t play games without fans. I don’t see that happening anytime soon and possibly not until a vaccine. Maybe they could do 40-50% capacity crowds? Idk but they will have to significantly adjust things

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The import draft is officially scheduled for June 30th

Curious what the approach will be with Erie. If Marat is a “no” and there is not some adjustment to the import rules due to COVID/timing of draft, then Erie should take their chance on 2 younger imports (2003 born). With the assumption that they won’t come this coming year but could come the following year. Of course the hope would be that (under the circumstances of drafting prior to the nhl draft and the fact that it’s unlikely most of these imports will show) the OHL allows teams to make 2 picks regardless of how many players they have currently signed or have rights to. If the season starts, it will still be 2 imports on the roster maximum but why not increase the odds by allowing all teams to pick twice?

ahh I have little faith in the OHL though so who know..

As for who to draft?
Imo with the signing of Saganiuk, it should be defense first. Next year Erie will lose Duff/Drysdale and Kischnick (if he isn’t gone by then). Plus Gillard is a big question mark with his injury. Defense will be a bigger need next year.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
The import draft is officially scheduled for June 30th

Curious what the approach will be with Erie. If Marat is a “no” and there is not some adjustment to the import rules due to COVID/timing of draft, then Erie should take their chance on 2 younger imports (2003 born). With the assumption that they won’t come this coming year but could come the following year. Of course the hope would be that (under the circumstances of drafting prior to the nhl draft and the fact that it’s unlikely most of these imports will show) the OHL allows teams to make 2 picks regardless of how many players they have currently signed or have rights to. If the season starts, it will still be 2 imports on the roster maximum but why not increase the odds by allowing all teams to pick twice?

ahh I have little faith in the OHL though so who know..

As for who to draft?
Imo with the signing of Saganiuk, it should be defense first. Next year Erie will lose Duff/Drysdale and Kischnick (if he isn’t gone by then). Plus Gillard is a big question mark with his injury. Defense will be a bigger need next year.

Any idea what number pick we have?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

https://twitter.com/thedraftanalyst/status/1273329112887832576?s=21

I really think the pandemic is the biggest hurdle for Erie to convince Marat.

He has the chance to really be a game changer for Erie. Difficult to project the transition to NA but man you watch this kid play and then hear the stuff said about him and it could be a glorified steal to get him hear.

Yeah and the timing of the NHL Draft could be an issue as well. It didn't seem like Burakovsky was coming, but the Caps picked him up 1st round and pushed him here. Even if Erie only got 1 season out of Marat, it would be a huge boost. He'd likely be an instant top line C and really make this team's offense pretty scary for the opposition. What they do in the import draft on the 30th could be pretty telling.

Reactions: Mata and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yeah and the timing of the NHL Draft could be an issue as well. It didn't seem like Burakovsky was coming, but the Caps picked him up 1st round and pushed him here. Even if Erie only got 1 season out of Marat, it would be a huge boost. He'd likely be an instant top line C and really make this team's offense pretty scary for the opposition. What they do in the import draft on the 30th could be pretty telling.
I think it’s worth keeping Khusnutdinov and only selecting one player. Unless he has said “hell no.. never happening”

But on social media he’s been a supporter of the team by following them, liking posts and comments, following players, etc. So I doubt he’s a hard no. Doesn’t mean much

I just think it’s worth it because let’s assume he doesn’t come this year given the circumstances. Doesn’t that mean he can still come next year? Would depend on who drafts him but hopefully a team with a solid farm system that next year doesn’t want to bury him in the AHL and prefers he gets top minutes in the OHL.

Just a thought.

Man though that would be a juicy signing. He gives this team instant credibility on offense and more star power beyond Drysdale. Would certainly help the woeful PP too. Beyond SSM/Saginaw/London, the West is wide open. And I’m not even sold on Saginaw but they obviously have top forwards. Erie is an import or 2 away from really competing for a top 3/4 spot in the conference

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Idk if I’m going out on a limb but Saganiuk and Ross appear to be really good friends. Curious if the Ross pick was even more calculated as a final piece to sway Saganiuk?

Saganiuk rumors of him signing first appeared about a week after the OHL draft. Then Ross signed in late April. Saganiuk signed in late May.

Like I’ve said numerous times: Erie should be building up that Pittsburgh connection every single year. Every year I want to draft at least one player (even if in round 15) for the foreseeable future. I think it could make a huge impact going forward

side note: Saganiuk has some thick a** quads. He might be “short” but man if his legs are that strong, he should overcome his height more. He must have a powerful stride..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hunter suggesting Drysdale has a decent shot of sticking in the NHL next season:
Mark Hunter on Lafreniere's underrated quality, Foudy's playoff potential
Or just the owner of the Knights who doesn’t want to see Drysdale again :laugh:

In all seriousness, every Erie fan knows he has a shot at making it. Not really breaking news on that front

But what level of chance does he really have? Taking out the pandemic factor which can change all the dynamics of normalcy, the odds are lower for him

He’s a dynamic skater with top level IQ and leadership qualities and the best defender in the draft (albeit a weak defensive draft overall). That said, he’s undersized, plays a tougher position to adapt to the NHL with, and still has plenty of room to go on the offensive side

Sure it’s possible but imo it would be foolish to have him the NHL full time next year. Physically speaking he is not ready for that. Unless the team plans on playing him only half the games and minimal minutes..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Looks like Erie will be making both selections on Tuesday for the import draft

no surprise with Marat being likely to make at least a KHL roster next year and the pandemic making things unclear

I actually would be shocked if the OHL even plays remotely close to a full season next year. So the point with Marat is mute if that’s true

That said, let’s hope Erie takes a pair of 2003 born players that will still be young enough for 2021-22. Would expect they go Forward then defense in the draft.

Erie will now pick 18 and 54 overall. Good value

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Looks like Erie will be making both selections on Tuesday for the import draft

no surprise with Marat being likely to make at least a KHL roster next year and the pandemic making things unclear

I actually would be shocked if the OHL even plays remotely close to a full season next year. So the point with Marat is mute if that’s true

That said, let’s hope Erie takes a pair of 2003 born players that will still be young enough for 2021-22. Would expect they go Forward then defense in the draft.

Erie will now pick 18 and 54 overall. Good value
They’re still allowed to keep Marat’s rights and make 2 picks because he didn’t report.

Reactions: HockeyPops

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Interesting..

So in other words, they can have the rights to 3 players after the draft and still sign any 2 of them?

I was not aware of that loophole for whatever reason. Thanks for the info
Four even. Sopa is protected as an OA, Marat as a player who didn’t report, and they’ll pick twice.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Four even. Sopa is protected as an OA, Marat as a player who didn’t report, and they’ll pick twice.
I don’t know why I didn’t know this rule or even think that it’s so obvious that it would be a rule

For Erie, that is tremendous news. If the OHL gets hit hard by COVID, then Marat is unlikely to show. But at least they will still presumably have 2 other guys that can come over this year or next. Marat makes no sense for 2021-22 given his skill level.

Hopefully Erie plays to the pandemic and drafts YOUNG. Go for the 2003 born players

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If Khus. signs with Erie, and Drysdale returns, you'd have to think that the Otters would be instant contenders in the West, no? A Drysdale/Duff pairing doesn't get much better.
Probably would make them very intriguing at the very least. They have a solid group of forwards and depth but they need that top end player (especially at the center position)

I would still have concerns with goaltending and defensive depth. But those questions could be answered if specific guys step up their game this offseason

Reactions: Mata and nelli27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad