Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey609

Jun 28, 2018
I wouldn’t be opposed to it next year. But if you do that, then you probably should sell others off as well.
And again I ask, how are we at this point? How is the team still rebuilding after 3 years? That would be the case if they sold off Drysdale and others next year

A more likely scenario? Erie is trying to be a middle seed team and compete a bit in round 1. Maybe make an upset. This will be the final evaluation of the coaching staff until the decision will be made to resign or move on from Hartsburg and/or others (without even needing to fire him)

it also is important to show improvement if they still intend on going after Khusnutdinov and other unsigned prospects + getting another import in this coming draft. You mix some of those pieces with next year and Erie could be a very good team with the proper coaching.

That’s the only logic I see from this move. How or why would this indicate a Drysdale move? The team buys now to win a few extra games only to lose in round 1/2 of the playoffs? Then next year is the “big” sell off of players to go back to the basement??

That doesn’t quite make sense. It’s more likely they are trying to give a final evaluation of things and give the team/coaches a “real” chance to do a little something. Doesn’t mean make a deep or legit run. But just to be more competitive. Next year is an entirely different evaluation. My current sense though is that if they want to sign Khusnutdinov or other top prospects, they NEED to show something. Can’t miss the playoffs for 3 straight years. If that is part of their logic, then I hope it works out for them

There’s a good chance Drysdale makes an NHL club next year especially since he made the under 20 team as a 17 year old. May as well get something for him right now. Next year it’ll be too late and you’ll be complaining about why they didn’t trade him when they had the chance.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
He's not getting traded.
You seem very certain. Care to explain why? I was responding to posts on your board that seem to lean towards selling. As you'll have too many OA candidates next year you may need to trade a 19 y.o He might be a good trade chip for you guys...just saying and he would fill a need in Ottawa who has the assets to pay the price.

member 71782

A question for Erie fans that I posted in the draft pick database thread

Does anyone know how Erie got their 2nd round pick in 2022 back?

This is the trade from today as per the OHL website

Jan. 6NIAGKyen Sopa
NIAG 13 2022
ERER 2 2022
ER 8 2022
SOO 3 2023
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The last movement of this pick before today though was Jan 1 2017

2017-01-09OSHAnthony CirelliTOERIAllan McShane
ERI 2ND 2022
ERI 2ND 2023
ERI 4TH 2018
ERI 2ND 2024 (COND)
ERI 6TH 2020 (COND)
https://oshawagenerals.com/article/generals-trade-anthony-cirelli-to-erie
Erie Acquires Anthony Cirelli from Oshawa – Erie Otters
Conditions:
> ERI 2ND 2024 (COND) and ERI 6TH 2020 (COND) Currently Unknown
> Conditions have been met:
> OSH received FLT 2ND 2019, acquired by ERI vIa trades from FLT to LDN to SSM to ERI. OSH made the pick but no record of the pick being dealt (drafted Daniel Michaud).
> OSH received ERI 6TH 2019 which there is no record of this pick being traded but the pick was made by OSH (drafted Owen Brady).
> ERI 2ND 2024 and ERI 6TH 2020 retained by ERI. Believed the FLT 2ND 2019 and ERI 6TH 2019 fulfilled the conditions.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Looking at both what I have and what coolwood has Erie has the Soo 2nd in 2022 and Oshawa has Erie's 2nd round pick in 2022.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
There’s a good chance Drysdale makes an NHL club next year especially since he made the under 20 team as a 17 year old. May as well get something for him right now. Next year it’ll be too late and you’ll be complaining about why they didn’t trade him when they had the chance.

I would doubt that. Though he has a chance and it largely depends on who drafts him, Drysdale is still undersized from a muscle standpoint and could still afford to grow in the OHL game. Quinn Hughes also played for the U20 team before being drafted. As good as Jamie is from a talent standpoint, I don’t think he is physically ready for a full nhl season

He has about a 95% chance to be back for one more year

Last edited:
Reactions: LR8 and HockeyPops

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
You seem very certain. Care to explain why? I was responding to posts on your board that seem to lean towards selling. As you'll have too many OA candidates next year you may need to trade a 19 y.o He might be a good trade chip for you guys...just saying and he would fill a need in Ottawa who has the assets to pay the price.

I don’t think Erie made the Sopa trade to then sell off Golod who is better. They made the Sopa deal to be more competitive, which means they won’t sell off a bigger name

Also, Golod is very underrated and some NHL should have taken a late round flyer on him in each of the last 2 drafts. But oh well, it was Erie’s gain. He has a chance to be a special OA next year and put up big numbers. Out of all the 2000s on their roster, he has the most value on this team and in the open market. They need his skill though. So he’s staying

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I don’t think Erie made the Sopa trade to then sell off Golod who is better. They made the Sopa deal to be more competitive, which means they won’t sell off a bigger name

Also, Golod is very underrated and some NHL should have taken a late round flyer on him in each of the last 2 drafts. But oh well, it was Erie’s gain. He has a chance to be a special OA next year and put up big numbers. Out of all the 2000s on their roster, he has the most value on this team and in the open market. They need his skill though. So he’s staying
Ok your explanation makes sense so we'll I guess. But do you see Erie as contenders next year? If yes I agree you keep him, if not why not sell him this year when you can get more?

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Ok your explanation makes sense so we'll I guess. But do you see Erie as contenders next year? If yes I agree you keep him, if not why not sell him this year when you can get more?

I don’t think we have the time it takes to make the championship cycle happen next year .I also don’t think we have the talent , the players ,or the resources to contend next year .. we shouldn’t even be thinking of it .. still recouping from the Championship run and those 4 “go for it “ years ..

I think we either ...1) do the unthinkable this year and trade Drysdale and Golod to contenders for 4 - second round pics and 4 -third round pics with a STUD player included to Erie for them ..and we have Hunter and Sopa in place to replace them this year and try and make the playoffs in an 8 th round spot ..

OR 2) ...hang on to Drysdale and Golod / Yetman and get in the PO’s this year as a higher seed having added Hunter and Sopa...and sell off our top guys next year while trying to be a mediocre team and eventually use these assets and picks for a future run on the fly so to speak

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Rumor is Sopa will be leaving the OHL after this season, if true that makes the trade even more of a question mark in my mind.

As far as this year, I guess we see how it plays out. He is solid, should help our PP, and will likely be a line 1/2 guy depending on what Hartsburg had for dinner that night as seems to be our M.O. with line changes now.

If we truly are a 7-8 seed this year, perhaps he helps elevate that to 6 if things go well. I don't think we compete against top tier, however.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If we truly are a 7-8 seed this year, perhaps he helps elevate that to 6 if things go well. I don't think we compete against top tier, however.
Who do you think is the biggest competition for 6th? Does Guelph fall far enough, or do you need to stay ahead of Flint?

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Who do you think is the biggest competition for 6th? Does Guelph fall far enough, or do you need to stay ahead of Flint?

I think Sopa, barring any more serious injury to the squad, moves us a tier above Flint, SOO, and Owen Sound mostly because of the depth of the roster we have. The only thing holding us back from competing for a 3, 4, or 5 slot is coaching (now) and the early season injuries that in my mind cost us 3 - 5 wins.

We CAN compete against the top with our roster in a playoff series as evidenced by this previous road trip, the biggest problems being inconsistency and IMO, being outcoached, not so much lack of talent/depth.

Reactions: HockeyPops

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think Sopa, barring any more serious injury to the squad, moves us a tier above Flint, SOO, and Owen Sound mostly because of the depth of the roster we have. The only thing holding us back from competing for a 3, 4, or 5 slot is coaching (now) and the early season injuries that in my mind cost us 3 - 5 wins.

We CAN compete against the top with our roster in a playoff series as evidenced by this previous road trip, the biggest problems being inconsistency and IMO, being outcoached, not so much lack of talent/depth.
MacDougall also on his way back to the lineup too.

the lineup is certainly talented enough to be more competitive so let’s see what they do

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Interested in seeing what the lines will be at full strength with MacDougall supposedly close to a return and Swankler hopefully coming back. That means at least 1 or 2 people who normally play will likely be sitting.

Golod - Swankler - Yetman
Fowler - Sopa - Lockhart
Cohen - Hoffman - Sproule
D'Amato - Sellan - Sedore
Singer and MacDougall are alternates that can be plugged in anywhere Hartsburg chooses?

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

I think it is too early to tell about next year. Lots of question marks.

The biggest is coaching. If Hartsburg is back, then no I personally don’t think they are. But that could solve itself because his contract is supposedly up after the year.

The second biggest question mark is the import situation. They will need to sign Khusnutdinov and also attempt at getting a Cernak like player in the 2020 draft.

The next question mark is the overall development of certain pieces. Specifically Lockhart and Campbell. Both have the talent for it.

If these question marks are answered, then at the very least Erie should be a 2-4 seed team. Maybe not quite good enough to win but still competing.

As a fan, I don’t want to waste years standing pat unless you are rebuilding and young. I understand the idea of selling off those valuable pieces to get big assets for the future if now isn’t the time to win. The problem for Erie is that they can’t afford to be a 8/9 seed team this year and sell off next year as well. That would guarantee 4/5 years of missing the playoffs. Would bring them right back to mid 2000s, an era of hockey nobody in Erie supported

so hence the Sopa trade

this gives Brown a chance to evaluate the team/coaching. While also giving them a starting point towards more competitive teams. I’m not thrilled about the waste of assets but I also would be more upset with another year of missing the playoffs.

I don’t think the organization can sustain another 1/2 years of missing the playoffs. Trading Drysdale/Golod would do that. Next year is next year and will be a different evaluation. But right now? They have a chance to be a good top 4 conference team next season. Erie fans and the organization will absolutely need that type of season.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
With Jamie coming back from world's we will also have a log jam on defense.

I know Kyrou will be sent back down, but someone will be sitting and if we were to get Gillard back that would make 8 on the back line when at full strength.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
With Jamie coming back from world's we will also have a log jam on defense.

I know Kyrou will be sent back down, but someone will be sitting and if we were to get Gillard back that would make 8 on the back line when at full strength.

Gillard will have to be slowed into things given his injury. If the team thinks he can actually return and be ready to go soon, another reason to think Henry could be moved before the deadline

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I would agree, given the number of over age players slated for next year I believe we are forced to utilize Golden for the remainder of this season and also Singer (unless they cut one or both) because I believe Henry carries more trade value right now. With Yeti, Golod, and Duff possibly being the OA players assuming Sopa leaves (rumors) after this season, that leaves MacDougall and Henry as the likely outsiders either this year, or next. Should Sopa commit to next year, things would get really interesting.

Does Murphy count as an overage player too next year? If so, add him to the list of fence players especially if Campbell has a strong 2nd half and gets some playoff experience this year.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
A question for Erie fans that I posted in the draft pick database thread

Does anyone know how Erie got their 2nd round pick in 2022 back?

This is the trade from today as per the OHL website

Jan. 6NIAGKyen Sopa
NIAG 13 2022
ERER 2 2022
ER 8 2022
SOO 3 2023
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The last movement of this pick before today though was Jan 1 2017

2017-01-09OSHAnthony CirelliTOERIAllan McShane
ERI 2ND 2022
ERI 2ND 2023
ERI 4TH 2018
ERI 2ND 2024 (COND)
ERI 6TH 2020 (COND)
https://oshawagenerals.com/article/generals-trade-anthony-cirelli-to-erie
Erie Acquires Anthony Cirelli from Oshawa – Erie Otters
Conditions:
> ERI 2ND 2024 (COND) and ERI 6TH 2020 (COND) Currently Unknown
> Conditions have been met:
> OSH received FLT 2ND 2019, acquired by ERI vIa trades from FLT to LDN to SSM to ERI. OSH made the pick but no record of the pick being dealt (drafted Daniel Michaud).
> OSH received ERI 6TH 2019 which there is no record of this pick being traded but the pick was made by OSH (drafted Owen Brady).
> ERI 2ND 2024 and ERI 6TH 2020 retained by ERI. Believed the FLT 2ND 2019 and ERI 6TH 2019 fulfilled the conditions.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Looking at both what I have and what coolwood has Erie has the Soo 2nd in 2022 and Oshawa has Erie's 2nd round pick in 2022.

I have no idea how Erie had their own 2nd, I also had them having SSM's 2nd. Bizarre for sure, has to be something to do with the conditions in the Cirelli trade. Maybe if Erie acquired a different 2nd they could send that to Oshawa instead and retain their own, which they now just traded to Niagara?

member 71782

I have no idea how Erie had their own 2nd, I also had them having SSM's 2nd. Bizarre for sure, has to be something to do with the conditions in the Cirelli trade. Maybe if Erie acquired a different 2nd they could send that to Oshawa instead and retain their own, which they now just traded to Niagara?
The two conditionals are accounted for. I was thinking it may be related to a conditional pick that dates back to Jan 2015 or earlier, probably in a round about way through other teams.

It would mean Oshawa has one less pick than everyone thought they had.

Thanks.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The potential OA situation next year is even messier now. Current '00s on the roster:

MacDougall
Yetman
Sopa
Golod

Duff
Henry

Murphy

Yetman/Golod/Duff seem like the obvious 3 to me, with Yetman & Golod being top line forwards and Duff being a borderline top pairing dman and the current captain. MacDougall played well in the 2nd half last season but has had injuy problems so I'm not sure where he fits in. Sopa is a nice add for this season but is likely gone next season (and if Erie does this right they shouldn't have the import spot, they should go all out signing Khushnutdinov and adding a dman with their 2020 pick imo). Henry is likely out on defense so I wouldn't be too surprised if he's dealt this deadline if someone is willing to pay. Murphy could come back, depends on Campbell's development and if Erie can find a good BUG, and also if he counts towards the OA limit.

Reactions: NOA

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Interested to see what lineup this team rolls out when they are healthy. Kyrou should certainly be sent back down to get top minutes in the GOJHL, they can always call him back up if there's another injury. Bressette will definitely remain down as well unless they are multiple injuries, he's having a strong season in the GOJHL. I don't know what to expect from Hartsburg anymore, I just hope he has finally turned a page after this long meeting and is more communicative with the players and hopefully allows some chemistry to develop. This team really does have the talent to compete with just about anyone in the west but injuries and questionable decisions have held them back imo.

Here's my crack at the lineup when healthy:

Fowler-Yetman-Sopa
Golod-Swankler-Cohen
Sproule-Hoffmann-Lockhart
MacDougall-D'Amato-Singer
Sellan/Sedore

Duff-Drysdale
Henry-Hunter
Golden-Kischnick
Morton

As I mentioned in my last post, wouldn't rule out trading Henry if someone needs a veteran LD and is willing to hand over a few decent picks. Would allow Kyrou to remain with the team and continue to give Morton regular playing time, as he has certainly continued to improve as the season has gone on.

Reactions: Mata and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The potential OA situation next year is even messier now. Current '00s on the roster:

MacDougall
Yetman
Sopa
Golod

Duff
Henry

Murphy

Yetman/Golod/Duff seem like the obvious 3 to me, with Yetman & Golod being top line forwards and Duff being a borderline top pairing dman and the current captain. MacDougall played well in the 2nd half last season but has had injuy problems so I'm not sure where he fits in. Sopa is a nice add for this season but is likely gone next season (and if Erie does this right they shouldn't have the import spot, they should go all out signing Khushnutdinov and adding a dman with their 2020 pick imo). Henry is likely out on defense so I wouldn't be too surprised if he's dealt this deadline if someone is willing to pay. Murphy could come back, depends on Campbell's development and if Erie can find a good BUG, and also if he counts towards the OA limit.

there have been rumors of the OA goalie rule for awhile and how it could eventually not count to the OA allowed number of 3 per team.

if that were to happen, then I would assume Erie would keep Murphy. If not, then Campbell is the guy and Erie probably tries to do a cheap trade for a backup

the OA situation for next year isn’t that hard to figure out. Sopa is likely to return home. MacDougall is currently odd man out due to injury history and production. Henry should be moved now if you want to get anything for him but he’s just a middle pairing guy. Murphy would be the only key loss to the team if Campbell is not ready to be the guy/Erie can’t find suitable backup

Reactions: EON

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Interested to see what lineup this team rolls out when they are healthy. Kyrou should certainly be sent back down to get top minutes in the GOJHL, they can always call him back up if there's another injury. Bressette will definitely remain down as well unless they are multiple injuries, he's having a strong season in the GOJHL. I don't know what to expect from Hartsburg anymore, I just hope he has finally turned a page after this long meeting and is more communicative with the players and hopefully allows some chemistry to develop. This team really does have the talent to compete with just about anyone in the west but injuries and questionable decisions have held them back imo.

Here's my crack at the lineup when healthy:

Fowler-Yetman-Sopa
Golod-Swankler-Cohen
Sproule-Hoffmann-Lockhart
MacDougall-D'Amato-Singer
Sellan/Sedore

Duff-Drysdale
Henry-Hunter
Golden-Kischnick
Morton

As I mentioned in my last post, wouldn't rule out trading Henry if someone needs a veteran LD and is willing to hand over a few decent picks. Would allow Kyrou to remain with the team and continue to give Morton regular playing time, as he has certainly continued to improve as the season has gone on.

very strong depth up front. They lack some firepower but most teams in the league do too.

I agree though that coaching/chemistry is the most important thing for this team. They could make a little noise if they play to their strengths of rolling all four lines

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
The more I look at the defense, it would make sense to dish Henry now rather than later, if possible, to keep Morton in the defensive rotation. We will lose out on fighting and experience, but Morton is a big body and has grown enough this year that I have confidence he could pair with Golden for the rest of this year and we know he SHOULD be back next year.

As for the offense...hell if I know and I'm sure Hartsburg doesn't either but we should aim to keep Yeti AND Golod. If it was one or the other I would have to lean Golod at this point.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The more I look at the defense, it would make sense to dish Henry now rather than later, if possible, to keep Morton in the defensive rotation. We will lose out on fighting and experience, but Morton is a big body and has grown enough this year that I have confidence he could pair with Golden for the rest of this year and we know he SHOULD be back next year.

As for the offense...hell if I know and I'm sure Hartsburg doesn't either but we should aim to keep Yeti AND Golod. If it was one or the other I would have to lean Golod at this point.
I fully agree. Morton has improved and they need him to continue that.

Duff / Golden / Hunter / Drysdale is experienced enough to ride them. The bigger question is Gillard though. If he’s not ready to come back yet, it’s difficult for them to move Henry right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad