Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I think they have a better chance to get Swankler than they do to get Alexander, considering he's from just outside Pittsburgh. He'd be pretty close to family. One would be great, both would be amazing. Either way, Brown made a good move today. It's tough to see Maksimovich go but I'll be cheering for him and Ottawa in the playoffs this season.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I think they have a better chance to get Swankler than they do to get Alexander, considering he's from just outside Pittsburgh. He'd be pretty close to family. One would be great, both would be amazing. Either way, Brown made a good move today. It's tough to see Maksimovich go but I'll be cheering for him and Ottawa in the playoffs this season.

Great kid! Gonna make any team better and will make Ottawa a lot stronger...hope he gets a pro shot

Reactions: 7D442

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Who becomes the new Erie captain? Would be so cool to see Drysdale take the reigns now as he is the new face of Erie

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Who becomes the new Erie captain? Would be so cool to see Drysdale take the reigns now as he is the new face of Erie
It's likely Erie waits until next season to fill the captain role. I agree, I could see Drysdale becoming captain next season.

Reactions: ottersguy and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
It's likely Erie waits until next season to fill the captain role. I agree, I could see Drysdale becoming captain next season.
Its been a long while since I've seen a 16 yr old Captain, but it would be so cool! Also Drysdale is so good 24 points in 34 games as a rookie D man...Wow he'll be unreal

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Its been a long while since I've seen a 16 yr old Captain, but it would be so cool! Also Drysdale is so good 24 points in 34 games as a rookie D man...Wow he'll be unreal
By next year, he will be 17 but still he's one to watch. He's a two way defenseman, skates tremendously and by next year he's going to be insane.

Just imagine if he was playing with McDavid!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Would be awesome to see. I think he probably gets it next year.. 90% confidence with that. But I bet we wait until the offseason to do it. We will probably ride it out with no captain the rest of the way

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It's rare that a goalie gets drafted in the 1st round. One thing to keep in mind, Erie owns Flint's 2nd round pick this year. The 1st pick of the 2nd round.
Very good point Zin and one that I somehow missed

Unfortunately I have heard this draft is not that deep because of a lot of players committed to college

So maybe we talk to some college commit and try to sway him BEFORE the draft. But we definitely need to hit on the 2nd round pick.

Should also note that if Guelph has this Suzuki trade go through, we will have their 2nd round pick in 2020 which will likely also be the 1st or 2nd pick in the 2nd round next year because man they will have a majorly depleted roster next season and will have to sell off

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Very good point Zin and one that I somehow missed

Unfortunately I have heard this draft is not that deep because of a lot of players committed to college

So maybe we talk to some college commit and try to sway him BEFORE the draft. But we definitely need to hit on the 2nd round pick.

Should also note that if Guelph has this Suzuki trade go through, we will have their 2nd round pick in 2020 which will likely also be the 1st or 2nd pick in the 2nd round next year because man they will have a majorly depleted roster next season and will have to sell off
I'd like to argue that Brown did a good job in the 4 years we had been solid. We didn't load up for one year to have to tank lie Guelph will do next year. Brown continuously added pieces to slowly make us better for the title. Of course we need picks now, but our cupboards aren't as bare as they could be.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I'd like to argue that Brown did a good job in the 4 years we had been solid. We didn't load up for one year to have to tank lie Guelph will do next year. Brown continuously added pieces to slowly make us better for the title. Of course we need picks now, but our cupboards aren't as bare as they could be.

Well this just isn’t true

Reality is that this is how it went down

2013-14 .. Erie had been a disaster for over 10 years. They had a great goalie situation and great OAs. So they went for it, they just didn’t do enough. Probably should have just waited another year.

2014-15 .. McDavids last year so of course they went for it. They had no choice. Their problem was that they didn’t fix their goalie spot and lacked a little depth

That was all Bassin. Brown was there and I’m sure a little involved but Bassin was 100% in control. And based on some of the prices we paid and the moves we made/didn’t make - it had Bassin written all over it

Dave Brown finally took over
2015-16 .. we made no moves. I don’t blame Brown because we had a top team. But hindsight is that we should have traded away Dermott. Could have gotten 4 picks and a young player which would have probably let us keep Neumann or at least have more picks for future drafts

2016-17 .. we made a lot of moves. But all smart and calculated. If we had a better goalie we 100% win a memorial cup. The offense was loaded. All things considered, we did great with what limited assets we had

Brown then did great a recouping assets. But the Lodnia trade sucked. and we still aren’t great with assets. We are just basically back to normal which is not ideal for the next time we attempt to “go for it”

Brown definitely better than Bassin at moves. But let’s not kid ourselves

2013-14 we added Gaunce/MacDermid and lost hodgson

2014-15 we added Baptiste/Elie/Marchment - that’s going ALL in.

2015-16 nothing done

2016-17 we added Murdaca, Foegele, Cirelli. lizotte, Headrick - that’s going ALL in

The 2 years that we went all in we either came close (lost in the finals) or won it all

Reality is you can’t win in the OHL unless you make major moves. It’s just how it is. Because if you don’t make major moves, other teams will (see Guelph 2013-14) and you’ll be in tough to win.

My philosophy- go ALL in, stand pat, or sell.

Stand pat should only be used in special cases. But otherwise don’t play the middle game like we did in 2013-14. You could even argue we didn’t go 100% in during 2014-15 becauee we left our goalie spot in a bad spot. Stand pat also won’t work if you want to win a title but is useful if you just are waiting until next year.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
No more OA movement for the Otters. They're going into the "2nd" half with only 1 OA, G Cole Ceci. Also only 3 '99s on the roster - Poddubnyi, Singer, and Martin. Erie has to be one of the youngest teams in the league. I'll be interested to see if they make a depth move tomorrow. Otherwise, they will have Cohen in the lineup full-time until Fowler returns.

Golod-Gritz-Yetman
Poddubnyi-Cajka-Singer
Sproule-Mack-Hoffmann
Sellan-D'Amato-Cohen

Bump Gritz to the 3rd line, Mack to the 4th, and Cohen back to midget when Fowler is healthy.

Beamish is also still week to week with an upper body injury, hope he returns soon. He looked pretty good earlier this season.

Battaglia has also cleared waivers, probably headed to a Jr. A or Jr. B team.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
No more OA movement for the Otters. They're going into the "2nd" half with only 1 OA, G Cole Ceci. Also only 3 '99s on the roster - Poddubnyi, Singer, and Martin. Erie has to be one of the youngest teams in the league. I'll be interested to see if they make a depth move tomorrow. Otherwise, they will have Cohen in the lineup full-time until Fowler returns.

Golod-Gritz-Yetman
Poddubnyi-Cajka-Singer
Sproule-Mack-Hoffmann
Sellan-D'Amato-Cohen

Bump Gritz to the 3rd line, Mack to the 4th, and Cohen back to midget when Fowler is healthy.

Beamish is also still week to week with an upper body injury, hope he returns soon. He looked pretty good earlier this season.

Battaglia has also cleared waivers, probably headed to a Jr. A or Jr. B team.

Before the Mak trade we were the youngest in the league
Imagine that now it’s even more true.

And I’m okay with that. The entire roster will be back next year if we so choose. Podd the only exception as we likely try to add a top import

So the entire roster minus Podd could return next year

Additionally a 1st round 2019 pick and an early 2nd round pick. Add that we could sign some college guy(s)

Combined with 2018 drafted players who could be developing in minors

So there will be guys we move on from next year but that will be because we bring in more talented players to replace them.

All I have to say is that if these guys keep developing, the chemistry should be there since we will have the same roster for nearly 2 full seasons and most of these guys capable of being here in 2020-21

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I suspect something is in the works
For another depth forward?

I hope. We could afford to add a cheap 1999 who can maybe be an OA next year since Podd will likely not be back and we would have an opening anyways

Adding a 30-40 point guy would be ideal and would add some level of veteran presence to the locker room

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie acquires Matthew MacDougall from Windsor for a 4th, 5th, and 6th. 2000 born LW.

I find this move to be a little odd, not sure how a '00 fits in with this group going forward but he will be very useful in the top 9 this season with Maksimovich gone.

EDIT:

Some positive comments from Windsor fans. Seems he may have some untapped offensive potential, was just inconsistent and maybe lacking in confidence this season. Honestly I'd just plug him into the top line in Maksimovich's spot right away and see what he can do. Send Cohen back down to midget where he can get a lot more ice time instead of being on the 4th line here.

MacDougall-Yetman-Golod
Poddubnyi-Cajka-Singer
Sproule-Gritz-Mack
Sellan-D'Amato-Hoffmann

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie acquires Matthew MacDougall from Windsor for a 4th, 5th, and 6th. 2000 born LW.

I find this move to be a little odd, not sure how a '00 fits in with this group going forward but he will be very useful in the top 9 this season with Maksimovich gone.

EDIT:

Some positive comments from Windsor fans. Seems he may have some untapped offensive potential, was just inconsistent and maybe lacking in confidence this season. Honestly I'd just plug him into the top line in Maksimovich's spot right away and see what he can do. Send Cohen back down to midget where he can get a lot more ice time instead of being on the 4th line here.

MacDougall-Yetman-Golod
Poddubnyi-Cajka-Singer
Sproule-Gritz-Mack
Sellan-D'Amato-Hoffmann

Heard he was a Tampa Bay camp invite. Has good wheels too.

Basically see him as a Max Golod last year. Same type of stats too. Max didn’t get the camp invite though but I thought should have

Similarly, Max got off to a rough start this year . The difference is that the last 12-13 games he has picked it up but before that he had similar production as Matthew. Windsor’s offense has struggled a bit too

So maybe this guy just needs a fresh start. Who knows. If he’s a camp invite, there is maybe something there. Especially at a place like TB who knows how to evaluate talent

I agree, just chuck him in the top 6 and see what happens. Maybe he gets hot and gains huge confidence. The price is also pretty fair. Not like we sacrificed a 2nd or 3rd

I also don’t mind the idea of just stockpiling a bunch of 2000-2001s which is what we have done.
See who the heck pans out. Creates competition too. Those that don’t pan out, release them down the line. If most do pan out, you can always be selective and trade some guys out.

I actually like this trade. If the kid produces a little in the 2nd half of the year, I’ll love it

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
32 points ( 17 and 15) for his first year in the OHL last year was pretty darn good -Right?

Erie seems to like these slightly smaller skilled players that can really skate and score - a Maks or Lodnia type in stature - let’s see if he can regroup the second half of this year

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
32 points ( 17 and 15) for his first year in the OHL last year was pretty darn good -Right?

Erie seems to like these slightly smaller skilled players that can really skate and score - a Maks or Lodnia type in stature - let’s see if he can regroup the second half of this year

We do like the smaller quick forwards. I have no problem giving someone with skill a chance. Who knows. At the very least he’s a depth guy for this year and next.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The Beamish injury must be more serious than we though. Erie has acquired LD Jacob Golden from London in exchange for a 4th in 2020 and a conditional 3rd in 2024 (I assume the condition is him playing an OA year).

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Nelli going to post here the scoop on Golden here shortly-I think he was a top 4 D for the knights - ??? but can’t confirm

Intrigued by Browns decision on this one ..

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
RE: Golden...
3rd pairing d-man (never top 4, no PP time)
PROS: Terrific skater; quick
CONS: Poor hockey sense; plays too much in offensive zone, hence not defensively responsible; turnovers; not big, not physical.
Hopefully Erie coaches will have him focus more on his defence.
Wish him the best with the Otters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce