Ericsson Appreciation Thread

Aug 6, 2012
A 3:30 a.m., there aren't many options, so you take what you can get

Ericsson is good because our other defensemen are Kronwall, Quincey, Lashoff, Kindl, White, Smith, Huskins, Colaiacovo

Ok thanks for the explanation :laugh:

I'd say he's a #3 on a lot of teams. I don't think the play of others has really effected the way we judge him (maybe a tiny bit but not much at all).

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This guy is only getting praise only because the bar has been set so low.
I disagree. He was getting high, high praise when he first came up and played next to Lidstrom. And I think he looks A LOT better today.

How many goals do you think we would have allowed today if we still had Lidstrom, Stuart and Rafalski? Negative 2? The defense played great tonight and Ericsson was the leader, he was fantastic all the way apart from that penalty.

I'd argue that because of the lack of pedigree on this defensive roster we are being extra harsh on every little mistake they make. We're so used to watching Lidstrom being perfect that we don't undertand that 99.9% of d-men make mistakes every now and then.

we like our team*

must be hard for the people who think ericsson sucks to try and rationalize their feelings as he continues to get better

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
This entire thread is dedicated to chest pumping about mediocrity

No.

When looking at comparable defenders in terms of caphit and experience, E is not "mediocre." He's actually pretty good. Moreover, he's probably the best d-man on the Wings right now. 60% of that is because the d-corp is weak this year, but the other 40% is because he's playing pretty good hockey.

Aug 6, 2012
This entire thread is dedicated to chest pumping about mediocrity

Hate to say it since I'm annoyed when people say this, but not everything has to be negative. Mediocrity from a guy who used to be a below-average overpaid defenseman is one of the rare positives for this team thus far.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
must be hard for the people who think ericsson sucks to try and rationalize their feelings as he continues to get better

I think that's what we are seeing. The reality is, he's been great. And the reality is, he'd be welcomed to nearly every NHL team and be playing big PK minutes and in the top 4.

For a guy that has been an annual whipping boy, it's pretty awesome to see him step up to a bigger role. Ericsson looks like he has all the tools to be a permanent fixture to soak up huge minutes for the Wings. That's good news moving forward, since we were left wondering who would replace Stuart. Well, here he is.

Has anybody else noticed how physical he is along the boards? He's literally throwing guys to the ice. It's pretty fantastic. :laugh:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Exactly. People would rather be "right" about how bad Ericsson is than admit they were wrong about him.

CloneHakanPlease*

People who blame him for the penalty (which was wrongly called), don't have a clue. Dude has easily been our best defensemen lately.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
BTW, I notice how many Ericsson critics of years past are changing their tune. And that's not a rip on you guys, it's a COMPLIMENT. It means you're able to change your stance and see what's going on. Hats off. I respect people who do that tremendously and subsequently trust their judgement far more.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Exactly. People would rather be "right" about how bad Ericsson is than admit they were wrong about him.

I don't think he is bad, but i certainly don't think he is good. His one moronic mistake was the difference maker today. The 2012-2013 Red Wings cant afford that one mistake.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't think he is bad, but i certainly don't think he is good. His one moronic mistake was the difference maker today. The 2012-2013 Red Wings cant afford that one mistake.

That's great and I don't disagree but on the season as a whole he's had very limited brain farts.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
One thing you can say about the Red Wings is that given enough time/years on the team the young guys almost always improve their play IMO. Not very often do players not make significant strides in their play as Wings.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The thread could've been started with better timing, but yeah he's been good this season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
One thing you can say about the Red Wings is that given enough time/years on the team the young guys almost always improve their play IMO. Not very often do players not make significant strides in their play as Wings.

Honestly, it's stories like Ericsson which make me think maybe Babcock does know how to get the most out of his players.

I almost don't want to post this because it could bleed the Babcock thread into this one, so let's just try to keep this about Ericsson ;)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The thread could've been started with better timing, but yeah he's been good this season.

I've been wanting to make it for awhile, but even after his mistake I was like "Screw it, he was awesome today and this needs to be addressed." :laugh:

Chevrier

Mar 4, 2011
Toronto
Honestly, it's stories like Ericsson which make me think maybe Babcock does know how to get the most out of his players.

I almost don't want to post this because it could bleed the Babcock thread into this one, so let's just try to keep this about Ericsson ;)

Yes and yes, I was just thinking the same to myself. Considering his draft status, to who he was when he entered the organization and to where he is now, Ericsson has come leaps and bounds, head n' shoulders over what was expected of him. With so many variables that could've gone any way really, it is especially rewarding that he's getting more TOI than ever and doing good things with it. Ericsson's a weird hybrid but Babcock is leaning on him more and more and has been pretty sold on him as far back as I can recall.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
He had a couple of awful passes today that were intercepted. He made similar mistakes against SJ.

People who hate him will always notice all the bad things he does and ignore the significant good which exceeds the bad.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Ericsson was fantastic today other than the delay of game penalty. I love the 2013 Ericsson, he just continues to get better. Some people in this thread would hate Ericsson if he won the Norris.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This thread was made with bad timing in mind.

I've already explained it. He had a MONSTER game and that one play doesn't take away from it. Rather than have talk about him be buried in the GDT, I figured this would be a good avenue and avoid off-topic pissing contests.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
E has been quite a revelation this season. He's made me a believer...he can't make mistakes like he did at the end of the game though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad