Ericsson Appreciation Thread

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Wait... aren't you a guy who wants to bring in Komisarek, who is the very definition of mediocrity?

Don't forget Scott Hannan who is such an awesome hockey player he has been able to get huge 1 year/1M dollar contracts the past two seasons and is currently -9 (team worst) on the Predators playing in front of a goalie who stops everything.

Last edited:

Roy S

May 16, 2009
The shots and scoring chances for both teams were virtually the same today. I don't think Detroit's blue line spent any more time chasing around Chicago than their D spent chasing around Detroit. It seemed like a pretty even game to me and a fitting 1-1 tie until the skills competition decided who would get an extra point in the standings. Overall, a pretty similar game to the LA and SJ games.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Don't forget Scott Hannan who is such an awesome hockey player he has been able to get huge 1 year/1M dollar contracts the past two seasons and is currently -9 (team worst) on the Predators playing in front of a goalie who stops everything.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that one.

Last edited:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Wait... aren't you a guy who wants to bring in Komisarek, who is the very definition of mediocrity?

Beat ya to it much earlier in the thread :)

Again, I'll say if his name was Mikael Komisarekov, Bob would'nt wanna anything to do with that guy. Leaf fans hated him when he was on their garbage team.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Beat ya to it much earlier in the thread :)

Again, I'll say if his name was Mikael Komisarekov, Bob would'nt wanna anything to do with that guy. Leaf fans hated him when he was on their garbage team.

I guess you did.

But yeah, to the OP, I agree. Give me Ericcson over most of the guys you could (realistically) bring in.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I guess you did.

But yeah, to the OP, I agree. Give me Ericcson over most of the guys you could (realistically) bring in.

I'd honestly like to hear any d-man that could be brought in without breaking the bank financially or asset wise that would be better than Big E. C'mon North American Bob!

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I think we should bring in Scott Hannan. Big, physical. Can't play, but that's beside the point.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I think if he learns to control his emotions in tight games and just stick to his game he will be even better. His delay of game penalty at home vs. Chicago wasn't a lack of skill but simply nerves and high emotion getting to him. Maybe he was rushing idk but he just needs to play his game

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I think aside from his blunder today, Ericsson has been our most dependable defenseman on both sides of the rink. Incidentally, Kindl and Smith look really solid on the power play. I think Smith's going to keep looking rocky for a while, but he'll find his stride. Kindl on the other hand. A lot of people need to eat crow, this guy's been playing his best Red Wing hockey recently.(I think he'll only get better.)

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
I thought Big E was really good when he first came up during that one playoff run. Then he was pretty bad. Now he's great. Glad he's proving a lot of us wrong.

For me it's more like:

me said:
I thought Big E was really good when he first came up during that one playoff run. Then he was stuck next to Brett Lebda, then other garbage. Now he's not. Glad he's proving a lot of people wrong.

RedWingsNow*

Wow. Look at the Hf homer monkeys with their strawman arguments.

When you can't win your argument, attack credibility by referencing unrelated posts.

You guys are a riot

RedWingsNow*

Whoever isn't in the lineup is awesome, until they get here, at which point they turn to total crap.

You know how this works...

Ah, so the mod signs up to join the strawman arguers.
In fact, I said I'd take Komisarek over Quincey/CC/Huskins -- Not ericsson.

In double fact, I said it was a moot point, because Komisarek is always hurt.

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
I'm thinking about writing Ericsson or someone in the Wings organization so they can buy me a Big E jersey. I'll go to a game and wear it. Just so I can be the first one.

I bought an Ericsson jersey two years ago so you're a little too late. It's been to Joe Louis and Nationwide arena so far.

RedWingsNow*

Because it's out of Ericsson's control to keep sustained pressure in the Hawk's zone. There's 4 other guys out there, and while most of the team played decent in their own zone, Ericsson stood out as particularly difficult for the Hawks to penetrate.

Remember how you wanted a Hall Gill type guy to block shots, make hits, and log huge PK minutes? That's Big E right now. He's playing at a high level defensively logging big minutes and keeping scores low.

If you also want him to control the play, well, look he's not Hockey Jesus.

No, it's not out of Ericsson's control.
Instead of chasing the guy, you stop the guy.
Instead of clearing up the boards to nobody, you pass it to a teammate or clear it out.

I think you've got a bad case of the Pierre McGuires.
McGuire finds people to rave about every game. It's pure BS, of course. He's just trying to be entertaining and fill airspace. (like when he said Babcock was doing his best job ever, or the Red Wings were grittier than ever)

Ericsson blocked 2 shots and was credited with one hit.

The Wings gave up one goal yesterday. The only two guys you can blame for it are Quincey and Ericsson.

RedWingsNow*

No, I'm not. He's too injured to be worth the trouble.

And even if he was healthy, nobody is saying he's a "first pairing guy."

He'd be a big, 3rd pairing defensive guy -- If healthy.

RedWingsNow*

I think aside from his blunder today, Ericsson has been our most dependable defenseman on both sides of the rink. Incidentally, Kindl and Smith look really solid on the power play. I think Smith's going to keep looking rocky for a while, but he'll find his stride. Kindl on the other hand. A lot of people need to eat crow, this guy's been playing his best Red Wing hockey recently.(I think he'll only get better.)

I think the problem is that this team can't afford to have Kindl, still learning, Lashoff (rookie) and Smith (rookie) out there every night.

So either Lashoff goes back to the A or Kindl is moved

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
Quincey also made at least one good defensive play but people don't remember that. I'm not mad at E or Q because the Wings had started losing the game long before the mistake that Big E made. I thought Chicago scoring was an inevitability the way the game started going. It didn't help that Kronwall also goofed and cost the Wings a chance to win the game in regulatio by putting them a man down. They seemed destined to lose that game to the better team.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Meh.

Where's the Tatar Appreciation Thread?
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1357603&page=1

even though he scored the goal which should have been the GWG, i thought tatar was less good than usual. but a lot of that is b/c chicago dominated the 1st half of the game, and his TOI was so low in 3rd when DRW had the puck more.

tatar only played 1:33 in 3rd and 0:00 in OT.

Ericsson went from whipping boy to under appreciated.

I used to hate him now he's probably our best Defenseman.
he sucked in '10, and it looked like he might be out of the NHL by '11, but he has improved very much. he is also a lot more physical. he still turns over the puck too much, though.

he's the best defensive d-man on the team. not a high standard, but i think he's doing well as #2. i don't know why babcock was using lashoff with kronwall instead of ericsson.

i am still not impressed by brendan smith. he is basically a 4th F, and although he has not been given much chance to show his offensive ability, he has not been particularly impressive offensively.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So two games since his Chicago blunder, Ericsson continues to play tight defense and over 20 minutes a game. And he added another assist to boot.

21 games played, 10 points, +5, 21:14 minutes per game (2nd on team).

I always like Ericsson, but he's exceeding my expectations. I hope this continues.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think Big Rig has been great this year stepping up into his needed role. I was impressed with how in the last year how he was always hanging around Lidas soaking up knowledge. While he might not have the offensive talent that #5 had/has, I really admire him for being undoubtedly our best def d this year.

On a side note even though Tootoo did his job the other day jumping in for the fight, I was really hoping Big Rig would have unleased the viking vengeance on the dude who wanted to throw down with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad