Ericsson Appreciation Thread

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ericsson is a legitimate top pairing defender right now. He's using his big frame and body slamming guys each night. Honestly, I don't know how he doesn't get called more for it, but I love that he's doing it.

He's crunching big minutes. He's our top guy on the PK. And he's chipping in offensively.

Is this the year we all grow to love Big E? It's got to be hard for the haters to keep the negative talk given how much better he's performing in our zone than everybody else.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Ericsson is a legitimate top pairing defender right now. He's using his big frame and body slamming guys each night. Honestly, I don't know how he doesn't get called more for it, but I love that he's doing it.

He's crunching big minutes. He's our top guy on the PK. And he's chipping in offensively.

Is this the year we all grow to love Big E? It's got to be hard for the haters to keep the negative talk given how much better he's performing in our zone than everybody else.

Our defense in general has really turned the corner, Ericsson is a big reason why.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He has come a long way. I used to hate this guy, now I respect him quite a bit. Very happy with the player he has become.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think/hope Kindl is starting to turn the corner the same way Ericsson did.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Outside of that delay of game penalty I thought he was our best defenceman today. Once again another deal that seemed like an overpayment is actually fair value or an underpayment. He's playing like a good #2, or excellent #3 and he's the main reason why Kronwall's +/- is improving, though not playing with Lashoff also has something to do with it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Our defense in general has really turned the corner, Ericsson is a big reason why.

Today I felt pretty safe when he was on the ice. Ericsson was hounding guys like Hossa and it really showed.

He's making so few stupid mistakes, too. The flip over the glass today was a total fluke. Other than that, I was thrilled with his effort.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think/hope Kindl is starting to turn the corner the same way Ericsson did.

He was rough in spots today. Him and Lashoff got pinned several times when the Hawks held the puck for what seemed minutes at a time.

But I want Kindl to succeed too, no doubt.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
He's our best D-man. Ideally I would love to acquire a true #1 to pair with him. But moving forward I'm very pleased with the progress being made by Kindl, Smith and Quincey. I'd love to see this the rest of the year.

Kronwal-Big E
Smith-Kindl
Lashoff-Quincey

Need to trade one of CC or White.

Aug 6, 2012
He's so much smarter and patient with the puck than last year. And you can tell he's trying to play a more physical game than he ever has, and its working. All the years playing with Lidstrom definitely made him what he is today. Ever since Lidstrom injured his ankle last year and Ericsson was forced into a bigger role he's done great, you can tell that he's embraced his new role.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
He's so much smarter and patient with the puck than last year. And you can tell he's trying to play a more physical game than he ever has, and its working. All the years playing with Lidstrom definitely made him what he is today. Ever since Lidstrom injured his ankle last year and Ericsson was forced into a bigger role he's done great, you can tell that he's embraced his new role.

I liked how pissed he was when he took that dumb penalty and made that mistake. Need more passion from this team. Like I loved when Brunner was poking away at the puck late in the game. You don't stop until the whistle gets blown, CLEARY.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
E's been great. He's doing absolutely everything a d-man should. Being big, physical, mean, making good passes, clearing the puck. Even scores once in a while.

Completely worth his contract and maybe more. He's been shoring up Kronwall's shortcomings for a few games now. Other than a mistake here and there, E is absolutely dependable on our blue line. It's just unfortunate that today it led to the game-typing goal.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't really think he is good when i watch him play. He looks serviceable, but that's about it.

McDonald's at 3:30 AM is what i would call him. It's not good if you are eating it at 3:30 PM, but at 3:30 AM its good.

When comparing him to Lidstrom, sure. But he's been a top 4 defensemen in every sense of the word.

Chevrier

Mar 4, 2011
Toronto
Aside from the painful blunder today, Ericsson has looked considerably better with each passing game. He's playing 3 to 4 more minutes on average this year than he has in previous seasons and looks to finally be coming into his own as a fairly dependable and steady defensemen.

For a moment today I thought to myself that I could very much see Ericsson wearing an A on his jersey sooner than later. He's shown good progression and considering where he originally started with GRG, converted, to where he is now is huge for us. He's a really good example of what the system can do, in both developing players and molding players into playing the game we like to play.

Unrelated but again I think Kindl has shown progression from the beginning of the season as well and I think I'd be annoyed if he was used as trade fodder in the near future. Hold onto him and don't give up on Kindl now.

RedWingsNow*

I don't really think he is good when i watch him play. He looks serviceable, but that's about it.

McDonald's at 3:30 AM is what i would call him. It's not good if you are eating it at 3:30 PM, but at 3:30 AM its good.

Yep.
Just like Quincey looked OK today (until the PK).

But these guys spent a lot of time running around their own end today. That's not all on the defensemen. But it's partially on them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He is our best defenceman defensively, no doubt. That long reach helps just so much, that his skill level doesn't have to be at same level, than some better smaller guy.

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

I don't get that analogy at all :laugh:

A 3:30 a.m., there aren't many options, so you take what you can get

Ericsson is good because our other defensemen are Kronwall, Quincey, Lashoff, Kindl, White, Smith, Huskins, Colaiacovo

RedWingsNow*

This entire thread is dedicated to chest pumping about mediocrity

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
For the most part I like what I see from Kindl, Ericsson, and EVEN Quincey (other than the first week of the season) this season.

Ericsson has definitely upped his game and it began towards the end of last season.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hes been awesome. I tihnk a big part is consistently using his size more now and actually clearing the crease and going hard in the corners. Lashoff was awesome today to, hes going to be a solid bottom pairing physical guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad