Player Discussion Eric Staal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not gonna happen. He is at center and will play 14-15 minutes per game.

Staal will play his way into the top 9. And, I don't see Danault, Kk, or Suzuki being moved to the wing. Someone's going to the wing. It all depends on who plays best and chemistry. But I would think Staal and Suzuki would be the leading candidates to play wing, with Suzuki coming in 2nd.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
What remains a point of discussion is what type of role Staal will play.

Guy Boucher opined recently on RDS, that Staal was not brought in to replace Evans even if Evans will come out of the lineup as a result. Staal is not taking on Evans' role. Staal is expected to play 16-18 minutes and Boucher argues that you have to disregard his season in Buffalo. Boucher claims that Staal is the Habs no. 1 center.

This pundit says he's a "middle six" center:

The Hockey Writers refer to Staal as "center depth security" and could be used to insulate the team's younger centers and for tough opposition match-ups. They see him as someone who may be juggled between wing and center but given the Habs lack of experience at center, I don't see how Staal plays anywhere but center.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-center-depth-staal-trade/

100% agree. those saying that he will play left wing or 4th line 8-9 minute per game have no clue what is going to happen to the line-up. No way he is not in top six going against other teams best.

Reactions: angusyoung

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Staal will play his way into the top 9. And, I don't see Danault, Kk, or Suzuki being moved to the wing. Someone's going to the wing. It all depends on who plays best and chemistry. But I would think Staal and Suzuki would be the leading candidates to play wing, with Suzuki coming in 2nd.
Suzuki in the only right handed center. He stays at center. So does KK and Danault. Those are the 4 centers.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I can easily see him playing the wing with Suzuki on nights when Drouin is 'not feeling it'

Reactions: 26Mats

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
KK unfortunately is likely to center the 4th line at this point. There is no way Stall is coming here to play 7-10 mins a night. The habs will say it not a typical 4th line because we will be rolling our lines.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I can see Suzuki moving to wing, especially if we move Tatar.

Suzuki -- Danault -- Gallagher
Drouin -- Kotkaniemi -- Anderson
Toffoli -- Staal -- Caufield
Perry -- Evans -- Armia

Don't see Staal moving to wing at all, although it would be the best option, frankly:

Tatar -- Danault -- Gallagher
Drouin -- Suzuki -- Anderson
Staal -- Kotkaniemi -- Toffoli
Perry -- Evans -- Armia

No room for Caufield though.

We'll see how slow Staal is. If he can't keep up at center, wing will be the best place for him.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Perry -- Evans -- Armia

Don't see Staal moving to wing at all, although it would be the best option, frankly:

Perry -- Evans -- Armia

We'll see how slow Staal is. If he can't keep up at center, wing will be the best place for him.

I do worry about his foot speed. But mostly I just think he'll prove to be too good of a player to be on the 4th line.

As you said, he'll likely start off as 4c, and then we'll see.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Probably not, but you never know...imo, both Markov and Koivu should get their jerseys retired first, but can't see it...

As much as people can hate him as a coach, putting carbo and koivu in the same ballpark as hockey players is completely ridiculous.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
KK unfortunately is likely to center the 4th line at this point. There is no way Stall is coming here to play 7-10 mins a night. The habs will say it not a typical 4th line because we will be rolling our lines.

They could do what the leafs have done with their old centers. Neither of Thornton or spezza are playing center. In the case of spezza, he's playing 4th line wing with PP time. Thornton is in the top 6 wing slot, with PP time.

Either scenario could be applicable to Staal as well.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Perry -- Evans -- Armia

Perry -- Evans -- Armia

Tatar isn’t going anywhere, and they’re not going to move their most used center to the wing.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Should be interesting if Staal returns to his form from last year. If Danault is being unreasonable with his contract and Staal enjoys his time here, Staal could be a short-term stop gap on the third line for a lot cheaper.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I think a happy and motivated Staal will be good for us.

I think his impact on the team will be similar to Kovalchuk and Perry.

Reactions: donghabs98

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Drouin has been one of our most consistent forwards this year. Odds are he'd move up to Suzuki or Kotkaniemi's spot if they are struggling.
So what if his effort is consistent, most of the time it amounts to nothing. He's not winning any physical battles and will rarely engage in a puck battle because he doesn't want to get hit. Very rarely will he blow by someone using his speed but his effort is consistent, good for him. Most of team gives consistent effort, it's pretty much the least he can do. Staal would be much better on that line because at least you know he will score and actually try to shoot on net.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Full lineup

Drouin Suzuki-Anderson
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Toffoli-KK-Perry
Lehkonen-Staal-Armia
Byron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad