Player Discussion Eric Staal

Locks

May 28, 2005
If Staal doesn't have the footspeed to play C anymore, or when he jumps up into the top 9, I could see him on KK's wing
That's exactly where I see him from the get go. KK's line is an offensive line regardless of its numerical order and Armia has no business on that line with his zero hockey sense and total lack of vision. They did not get Eric Staal to be a 4C and play with the checkers like Byron or Lehkonen.

Staal-KK-Toffoli
And Toffoli moving to his natural side is another plus. As other posters said above, it will be great for KK's development to have a guy like Staal on his line.
I expect one of Armia or Lehkonen to be moved.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Power play

Toffoli Kotkaniemi Perry/Gallagher
Staal Petry

Tatar Suzuki Anderson
Drouin Weber

You probably put Staal on the right half wall PP assuming his one timer is still somewhat of a threat. That means you keep him away from Suzuki because he has found some recent success in that spot. KK looks comfortable on the left half wall, so I think they can all co-exist on the PP, even if they aren't on the same units together.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
You probably put Staal on the right half wall PP assuming his one timer is still somewhat of a threat. That means you keep him away from Suzuki because he has found some recent success in that spot. KK looks comfortable on the left half wall, so I think they can all co-exist on the PP, even if they aren't on the same units together.
Petry up top. KK at the left half wall. Staal at the right half wall. Perry and Gallagher set up shop in front of the net like usual. That’s a great PP unit.

On the other unit you put Drou up top. Suzuki right half wall. Weber left half wall. Toffoli in the bumper spot. Anderson in front.

Tatar loses his spot probably.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Why no respect for Armia? In the 3 seasons he and Kotkaniemi have been with the Habs he has more points (mostly goals) than Jasper, it was the same I think for their draft years playing in Finland. In fewer games in each case.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Sure, but the post he quoted was a tweet about number 21 where he said I have to think about the last time someone wore that number. I’m confused haha.
I got confused too LOL, hence, the 12 reference but 21 iirc:

Before Carbo: Marc Tardif, Yvon Lambert, Doug Jarvis (transferred to Carbo after the trade) and some guy named Glen Sather

After Carbo has been a real cast of characters: MacKay, Higgins, Gionta, DSP, legendary Dwight King, I think Schlemko too

Did Jason Cullimore wear it?

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Petry up top. KK at the left half wall. Staal at the right half wall. Perry and Gallagher set up shop in front of the net like usual. That’s a great PP unit.

On the other unit you put Drou up top. Suzuki right half wall. Weber left half wall. Toffoli in the bumper spot. Anderson in front.

Tatar loses his spot probably.
So stupid if they take 20 points Tatar of the PP for 10 points Eric Staal, specially when when our PP and Tatar was starting to click.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I got confused too LOL, hence, the 12 reference but 21 iirc:

Before Carbo: Marc Tardif, Yvon Lambert, Doug Jarvis (transferred to Carbo after the trade) and some guy named Glen Sather

After Carbo has been a real cast of characters: MacKay, Higgins, Gionta, DSP, legendary Dwight King, I think Schlemko too

Did Jason Cullimore wear it?
Thought Cullimore was 24, but you may be right.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
That's exactly where I see him from the get go. KK's line is an offensive line regardless of its numerical order and Armia has no business on that line with his zero hockey sense and total lack of vision. They did not get Eric Staal to be a 4C and play with the checkers like Byron or Lehkonen.

Staal-KK-Toffoli
And Toffoli moving to his natural side is another plus. As other posters said above, it will be great for KK's development to have a guy like Staal on his line.
I expect one of Armia or Lehkonen to be moved.
Not gonna happen. He is at center and will play 14-15 minutes per game.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
So stupid if they take 20 points Tatar of the PP for 10 points Eric Staal, specially when when our PP and Tatar was starting to click.
10 points in Buffalo is 30 points anywhere else. your sample size is skewed by the dumpster fire with the Sabres.

Reactions: Habs13

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What remains a point of discussion is what type of role Staal will play.

Guy Boucher opined recently on RDS, that Staal was not brought in to replace Evans even if Evans will come out of the lineup as a result. Staal is not taking on Evans' role. Staal is expected to play 16-18 minutes and Boucher argues that you have to disregard his season in Buffalo. Boucher claims that Staal is the Habs no. 1 center.

This pundit says he's a "middle six" center:

The Hockey Writers refer to Staal as "center depth security" and could be used to insulate the team's younger centers and for tough opposition match-ups. They see him as someone who may be juggled between wing and center but given the Habs lack of experience at center, I don't see how Staal plays anywhere but center.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-center-depth-staal-trade/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad