Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal to NYR for two 2nd round picks + Saarela.

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Seeing clips from the St. Louis/Carolina game yesterday, they had about 4 people in the seats.

Staal couldn't have felt very inspired being there recently.

I feel he will have a new desire to want to be successful here and help this team, especially come playoff time. I don't really feel the asking price was high, this is a pure rental situation.

Try and go for it hard this year again. Now is the time...

is it ?

lets say nash is moved(praying to God), boyle is certainly gone and that money is used to resign yandle and reup with estaal who has an interest in finishing career with his brother. might he take a less than market deal to stay put ?

cap hit

nash 7.8
boyle 4.5

frees yp 12.3 mil cap

bridge deal for chris kreider

resign yandle
resign e staal

he may.

this deal, according to JG, isn't just a rental.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
good, cuz after reading some of your initial comment/rants- which i laughed at, ill admit, I'm glad you came around to your senses. you are correct about it not removing tanner glass from the roster too.... :laugh:

i can only imagine what would have happened here had kreider been moved. bad. i mean mushroom cloud bad......

There's still time left and a widely admitted biggest need on D that hasn't been addressed. The only trade for Kreider I would accept is if receive Nichushkin in return. It's been a turnstile for Dallas' 3rd spot on the first line so they might figure that Kreider is their man.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
is it ?

lets say nash is moved(praying to God), boyle is certainly gone and that money is used to resign yandle and reup with estaal who has an interest in finishing career with his brother. might he take a less than market deal to stay put ?

cap hit

nash 7.8
boyle 4.5

frees yp 12.3 mil cap

resign yandle
resign e staal

he may.

You dislike Nash so much that you're willing essentially replace him with E. Staal? Cause his "reduced" salary demands will be substantially similar to Nash's $7.8 m.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
is it ?

cap hit

nash 7.8
boyle 4.5

frees yp 12.3 mil cap

resign yandle
resign e staal

he may.

You're assuming that we can trade Nash without taking back any cap.

Kreider already got his bridge deal. It's possible that Gorton will try to give him a 1 year deal rather than give him a longer term, but he will be arbitration eligible and we also have to re-sign Hayes and Miller. Miller will get a pretty significant raise after playing for his QO this year. He will also be arb eligible.

How much do you expect Yandle and EStaal to sign for?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
There's still time left and a widely admitted biggest need on D that hasn't been addressed. The only trade for Kreider I would accept is if receive Nichushkin in return. It's been a turnstile for Dallas' 3rd spot on the first line so they might figure that Kreider is their man.

love nichushkin. i do that deal right now and laugh all the way to the bank.

and he played well against us that day. involved, strong on puck and looking for his shot. dude has some long legs.

once that injury fully heals- takes a year sometimes, hell be back to the player he was and hopefully this summer, it'll be in a nyr sweater.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
You're assuming that we can trade Nash without taking back any cap.

Kreider already got his bridge deal. It's possible that Gorton will try to give him a 1 year deal rather than give him a longer term, but he will be arbitration eligible and we also have to re-sign Hayes and Miller. Miller will get a pretty significant raise after playing for his QO this year. He will also be arb eligible.

How much do you expect Yandle and EStaal to sign for?

won't be an easy task for sure.

push comes to shove i move chris kreider for a cost controlled player on an elc. in a heartbeat.

stalberg and glass both gone too. dom moore gone.

its a forgone conclusion, imo, that unless we win the whole thing, nash is history. i do not see this organization paying him the next 2 years to erode and wither.

we may retain some salary to move the albatross but we have no choice moving forward.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
You dislike Nash so much that you're willing essentially replace him with E. Staal? Cause his "reduced" salary demands will be substantially similar to Nash's $7.8 m.

if estaal is asking for nash money, he isn't resigned. period.

its a "family" discount or nothing. let some one else over pay him. i think he will negotiate with us and finish his career here.

i happen to think he's got miles left in the tank- and so does jeff gorton, so resigning him at a fair number and term makes sense especially after nash is moved.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
That's not really the point. The problem I have with this deal is that it comes on the heels of several other deals just like it.

In today's NHL, teams need young, cheap players to replace older, more expensive players. Without that steady influx of youth, we end up signing players like Girardi and Staal to albatross contracts, or letting players like Yandle walk.

With this deal, we now have 3 less assets that might become a player for us, that might replace a vet whom we can then trade for more assets.

Yes, winning is important. It's the most important thing. But I don't think Eric Staal is the difference between us winning and losing the cup. If our farm system was overflowing with talent, I wouldn't have a problem with spending some of it on a win now proposition. But the truth is, we didn't have that much in the pipeline, and now we have even less. If we don't reverse the trend, this team is going to crash hard and be left with a bunch of immovable contracts.

I don't want to see another 7 years like we had from 1998-2004. People like to say that the Rangers are always going to go for it, and I guess that's true, but they also say that when it goes bad, they'll just blow it up and rebuild, but when have we ever done that? In 2004, I guess, but honestly we didn't really net much from that purge, and that was after 7 years of failing to make the playoffs. I think the only reason we blew it up then is because Sather knew there would be a cap.

I hope I'm wrong about Staal and this team. I hope we do win the cup and I'll be first in line to say I was wrong about this deal. Maybe Gorton has something up his sleeve in the offseason to fix our cap issues and get more youth into the organization. But right now I don't have a lot of confidence that they'll get it right.

See Bolded, this is why I question people who are looking forward to rebuilding and think all you need to do is sell pieces off and stockpile picks and 5 years later you'll be good again.

It doesn't always work like that in 2004, Sather sold off big pieces and barely had anything to show for it in the end. Also, Neil Smith maneuvering for two early 1st rounders (4+9 OA) in 1999, another year maybe they both pan out as stars, instead we got Pavel Brendl and Jamie Lundmark.

Look at the Oilers, rebuilding for how long? I just think people should be happy we go as long as we can without having to rebuild and actually being good. If anything, I hope we never have to rebuild and can be like the Red Wings and just make it every year and our rebuild will be retooling while still being good. You don't want that toxicity that creeps into teams like the Oilers and Leafs.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Did the Rangers skate yet? Curious to see if there was any info out about line combos and maybe some pics from the beat writers

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
if estaal is asking for nash money, he isn't resigned. period.

its a "family" discount or nothing. let some one else over pay him. i think he will negotiate with us and finish his career here.

i happen to think he's got miles left in the tank- and so does jeff gorton, so resigning him at a fair number and term makes sense especially after nash is moved.

You know, of course how much he's making this season and what he's current contract's average. I think your definition of family discount is not like his.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
New York Rangers ‏@NYRangers 2m2 minutes ago
Eric Staal on the ice for #NYR morning skate! #StaalAboard

CcZIlR3XIAAGDym.jpg

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i take that as him saying basically this...

"this group is good enough to get back to the finals with the edition of one player that makes a difference and addresses a need or two. the rest of the roster, as presently constructed, is good enough. adding eric staal and a healthy nash to this lineup can be enough to win. they just need to go out and win games.

this core group deserves one more shot at winning before we blow the whole ****ing thing to hell"

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
AV said he expects Staal to play center. I don't see why when we have 2 guys who are already our top 6 centers AND Staal has played wing most of this season already.

Staal-Stepan-Nash should be the line. Kreider-Stepan-Staal until Nash gets back.

AV is just thinking of how to keep his boy TG in the lineup.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
AV said he expects Staal to play center. I don't see why when we have 2 guys who are already our top 6 centers AND Staal has played wing most of this season already.

Staal-Stepan-Nash should be the line. Kreider-Stepan-Staal until Nash gets back.

Would you assume any different? It's laughable that there are gymnastics done to keep him in the lineup.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

Maybe he wants Step on RW until Nash gets back? :dunno:

Miller - Brass - Zucc
Kreider - Staal - Step

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
People are actually trying to act like Saarela's not a good prospect?

He's in the top five most productive players this season of players from the last draft playing in Europe.

Corey Pronman said yesterday that he might've been our best prospect after Buchnevich.

Saarela is a very good prospect, this isn't some random mid-round pick, this is a mid-round pick that looks like a first rounder in a re-draft not in 12 months later.

Will he be a good top 6 NHL'er? Who knows, but its absolutely ignorant to act like we didn't give up a very good prospect.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
People are actually trying to act like Saarela's not a good prospect?

He's in the top five most productive players this season of players from the last draft playing in Europe.

Corey Pronman said yesterday that he might've been our best prospect after Buchnevich.

Saarela is a very good prospect, this isn't some random mid-round pick, this is a mid-round pick that looks like a first rounder in a re-draft not in 12 months later.

Will he be a good top 6 NHL'er? Who knows, but its absolutely ignorant to act like we didn't give up a very good prospect.

Personally, I found Saarela to be the prospect I was most intrigued by (not saying he was our best prospect, but I was very interested in his development).

I'm saddened to see him go.

I think Staal is a better player than his production indicates, but I don't know how much better at this point - maybe 25 goals and 60 points?

There was an interesting article about this possibly being viewed as one last kick at the can with some of these guys and I have to believe it is.

This team's success is all about whether or not they are firing on all cylinders, or mostly all cylinders come April.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Personally, I found Saarela to be the prospect I was most intrigued by (not saying he was our best prospect, but I was very interested in his development).

I'm saddened to see him go.

I think Staal is a better player than his production indicates, but I don't know how much better at this point - maybe 25 goals and 60 points?

There was an interesting article about this possibly being viewed as one last kick at the can with some of these guys and I have to believe it is.

This team's success is all about whether or not they are firing on all cylinders, or mostly all cylinders come April.

Very good post. We are in 100% agreement.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I mean, that's usually what wins a cup...having players get hot at the right time and avoiding injuries.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I liked Saarela a lot. But i rather had given him up than Buch, Skjei, Mcilrath, Shest.

Okay, but he's not just some random prospect. I think that distinction needs to be made between some random mid-rounder we drafted who hasn't done anything yet, and someone like this who's stock is probably two times as high right now as it was at the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad