Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal to NYR for two 2nd round picks + Saarela.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm in the meh crowd - and it all depends on what Staal does.

If he's truly a player in a steep decline, it's a deal based on the dream of what he was 4 years ago.

If it's a matter of a fresh start, with fresh motivation, on a competitive team - the reward could be very good.

Is this team more dangerous with Staal than without - without a doubt.

Is the defense still spotty and a weak spot - most definitely.

This team really could go either way - if everyone gets hot and takes it up a notch - it's really got about as good of a shot as just about anyone; but that's a really big if.

It's a steep amount of resources for a guy who, at this point, I'm not sure is a final piece to a championship. But we'll see, he could have a Jagr-esque type revival.

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
That's not really the point. The problem I have with this deal is that it comes on the heels of several other deals just like it.

In today's NHL, teams need young, cheap players to replace older, more expensive players. Without that steady influx of youth, we end up signing players like Girardi and Staal to albatross contracts, or letting players like Yandle walk.

With this deal, we now have 3 less assets that might become a player for us, that might replace a vet whom we can then trade for more assets.

Yes, winning is important. It's the most important thing. But I don't think Eric Staal is the difference between us winning and losing the cup. If our farm system was overflowing with talent, I wouldn't have a problem with spending some of it on a win now proposition. But the truth is, we didn't have that much in the pipeline, and now we have even less. If we don't reverse the trend, this team is going to crash hard and be left with a bunch of immovable contracts.

I don't want to see another 7 years like we had from 1998-2004. People like to say that the Rangers are always going to go for it, and I guess that's true, but they also say that when it goes bad, they'll just blow it up and rebuild, but when have we ever done that? In 2004, I guess, but honestly we didn't really net much from that purge, and that was after 7 years of failing to make the playoffs. I think the only reason we blew it up then is because Sather knew there would be a cap.

I hope I'm wrong about Staal and this team. I hope we do win the cup and I'll be first in line to say I was wrong about this deal. Maybe Gorton has something up his sleeve in the offseason to fix our cap issues and get more youth into the organization. But right now I don't have a lot of confidence that they'll get it right.

I don't like the Rangers path of making win now trades but they didn't move another #1 pick,top prospect or young roster player in the Staal trade. Maybe the Rangers end up re-signing Staal. Gorton said the Rangers have liked Staal and they think he is still a young player with some years left. How much value does Staal have in the free agent market?

Look at the roster and the current commitments. Look at the future commitments. Players will be moved in the summer to make the pieces fit. Hopefully,some of the players are traded for young cheaper players and/or first rounders.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
After a day of thinking about it I actually, kind of like this trade?

I stand by that it does nothing to fix our biggest issue but the trade was really good value for a player that's easily the best forward on the market.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I stand by that it does nothing to fix our biggest issue but the trade was really good value for a player that's easily the best forward on the market.

I'm kind of in the same boat.

Easier to swallow when you come to the realization that there was no way they were going to sell when they're sitting 2nd in the conference.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm kind of in the same boat.

Easier to swallow when you come to the realization that there was no way they were going to sell when they're sitting 2nd in the conference.

The biggest change that can be made, luckily, doesn't require a trade.

But it requires AV to use his prefrontal cortex for the first time in like a year.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Glad you came around to it :D

This could be a horrendously stupid way to look at it but deadline day is kind of like drafting. You should go BPA in the first round and use later rounds to fill in the depth.

We got Eric Staal early on and now make some smaller deals to fill in holes on defense and the PK.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

good, cuz after reading some of your initial comment/rants- which i laughed at, ill admit, I'm glad you came around to your senses. you are correct about it not removing tanner glass from the roster too.... :laugh:

i can only imagine what would have happened here had kreider been moved. bad. i mean mushroom cloud bad......

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
good, cuz after reading some of your initial comment/rants- which i laughed at, ill admit, I'm glad you came around to your senses. you are correct about it not removing tanner glass from the roster too.... :laugh:

i can only imagine what would have happened here had kreider been moved. bad. i mean mushroom cloud bad......

I have a penchant for overreacting.

I didn't win angriest poster by taking xanax and being rational

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Seeing clips from the St. Louis/Carolina game yesterday, they had about 4 people in the seats.

Staal couldn't have felt very inspired being there recently.

I feel he will have a new desire to want to be successful here and help this team, especially come playoff time. I don't really feel the asking price was high, this is a pure rental situation.

Try and go for it hard this year again. Now is the time...

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Seeing clips from the St. Louis/Carolina game yesterday, they had about 4 people in the seats.

I feel he will have a new desire to want to be successful here and help this team, especially come playoff time. I don't really feel the asking price was high, this is a pure rental situation.

An unmotivated Eric Staal was one of the most complete players in the league as recent as 2 years ago. I wonder how a motivated (alas, declined) Staal does.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There's a good chance Staal does very will for you guys. Even though his scoring hasn't been there (mainly due to a drought over a 15+ game stretch), his play hasn't been bad. He's playing a solid 2 way game, is a good possession player, strong along the boards, and has been good at faceoffs.

Canes aren't a high scoring team and Eric has always been a bit of a streaky player. While that may be true for most scorers, he seems to have some really long droughts but then goes on a equally long hot streak. He's also had the pressure of being "the guy" in Carolina which at times, can lead to him gripping it to tight, where that won't be the case in NY.

Also, the Canes play a possession system that limits shots so don't score as much, across the board, not just Eric. His downside? He he used to blow by defensemen on a regular basis a few years ago but between him maybe losing 1/2 step and defensemen in the league getting much faster (no more Hal Gil's or Colin White's), it's less frequent. He also looks to pass a lot more now days vs. a few years back.

All in all, I think this is a fair deal. A few days back, when 1 Ranger's fan asked what I thought in your roster building thread, I said I expected a 2nd and decent prospect where-as some Canes fans expected a 1st and decent prospect and this return is right in between. Good for both teams IMO.

You described Rick Nash to a "t".

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I don't think a trade resolves this team's biggest issues, which are all on AV; the over-reliance on Staal and Girardi, the under-utilization of Yandle, the continued presence of Glass in the lineup, the inability to phase out Boyle while phasing in McIlrath...all at the footsteps of this coaching staff. Staal does help on faceoffs and potentially adds a top 6 forward to a team who found scoring more difficult in last year's playoffs.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

It is very different playing in MSG than really anywhere else. And he will be joining a team that has much of the same roster for the last two years that saw a SCF and ECF visit. And his brother is there as a leader in the room. I think he will feel the difference very quick.

I dont know how Yandle was in Arizona, but there seems like more of a fire to him and passion when he scores goals as he celebrates each one he scores..or that he is just on the ice for. Bobbop can speak to that better.

Im excited for who we are getting.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Staal is only 31, he's not at the point where he should be completely over the hill physically or anything. He's not going to be the same player he was in his prime most likely but this year seems like a bit more of an aberration and result of being on a poor scoring team and being focused on by other teams D.

I don't think he's going to come in be the Rangers best player or anything, but he should hopefully bring depth and another scoring threat or so to the lineup

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Over the last two years Eric Staal is a +5.5 relCF% (ranks 13th amongst all forwards) but has a very poor 1.96 all sit. p/60 (that's Brad Boyes, Justin Fontaine, Reilly Smith, and Boone Jenner territory).

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't like the Rangers path of making win now trades but they didn't move another #1 pick,top prospect or young roster player in the Staal trade. Maybe the Rangers end up re-signing Staal. Gorton said the Rangers have liked Staal and they think he is still a young player with some years left. How much value does Staal have in the free agent market?

Look at the roster and the current commitments. Look at the future commitments. Players will be moved in the summer to make the pieces fit. Hopefully,some of the players are traded for young cheaper players and/or first rounders.

Honestly, I think Sareela has a better shot of being an impact player than whoever we take with our first round pick, assuming we use the 2016 1st round pick. He was considered a 1st round talent before he got injured and he has lived up to that billing thus far.

I have no idea how we plan to fit Staal, short of trading Nash.

Hank, Zucc, Brass, Step, Girardi, MStaal, McD. They all either shouldn't be traded for EStaal or can't be. How much will it take to re-sign EStaal? I don't see him getting 8.25 again, but will it be less than 6? If we could trade Nash for some good young pieces and sign EStaal to a short term, lower cap deal, that would help. I have no desire to give EStaal a long term deal or to pay him in excess of 5 mil per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia