Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal to NYR for two 2nd round picks + Saarela.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Look...if E. Staal was just suffering from boredom in Carolina, the Caps won't beat us.

He specifically pointed to missing the playoffs for 6 straight seasons being hard for him as the captain of the team in the press conference. His vision is to win the cup as he alluded to.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Look...if E. Staal was just suffering from boredom in Carolina, the Caps won't beat us.

I wondered about this. He had a long term contract with a franchise that isn't winning and he's the captain. He also already has a cup, and has accomplished a lot. Complacency wouldn't surprise me.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I wondered about this. He had a long term contract with a franchise that isn't winning and he's the captain. He also already has a cup, and has accomplished a lot. Complacency wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe he wants to help Marc win a Cup. The only Staal bro without one if we're not including Jared.

Then Marc can ride off into the sunset.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
He specifically pointed to missing the playoffs for 6 straight seasons being hard for him as the captain of the team in the press conference. His vision is to win the cup as he alluded to.

I mean he got great money, but I sincerely doubt he thought the Canes would dive into the ****ter so quickly after the cup. At that time, he would have gotten a ******** of money to play for many different teams, and Jordon wasn't acquired until later.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Maybe he wants to help Marc win a Cup. The only Staal bro without one if we're not including Jared.

Aside from winning the cup being the main goal for the majority of hockey players since their mother's water broke, the Hurricane's suck ass, and we have the King.

I think things worked out ok for Eric when he was inspired and he had a hot goalie. I'll have to Wiki that though.

Also, Marc is not retiring.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Win win win all around for everyone.

Idk, but if Eric Staal can turn back the clock and play like he's 6-7 years younger just for the next 45 games, we're all going to be very happy. Maybe coming to a team with a winning culture, where the cup is expected and playing with talented players will revitalize him. We don't need his career to be revitalized, just him for the next half a season worth of games. That's it.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The problem with this trade is much larger than Saarela, its that this team has no future because these trades happen every year. Oldest roster in the league, and only one impact prospect who might not even want to leave Russia.

Not all trades are the same.

I hated the St. Louis trade. Gave up way too much.

Gave up much less for Staal and I would rather have Staal than St. Louis.

And, if you're right about Buchenevich, then it was an insanely stupid pick.

Winning the Cup is the goal. Acquiring Staal makes the team much better and Saarela is merely a maybe to make the NHL.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
The reality is 2nd round draft picks on average play less than 50 NHL games. So giving up 2 of them isnt the end of the world. I know our prospect pool is shallow blah blah blah. However I am not happy about Saarela being moved at all. Kid went PPG in the world juniors carrying his team to GOLD. He showed that even for a 3rd round pick he has much better potential than that. Some players are late bloomers. It happens. Saarela's recent play has shown that and than we handed him over.

That is a heart breaker for me.

I like Eric Staal and as a rental to 2nd round picks would have made me very happy. However if we don't end the season with a win than **** is going to get really frustrating.

Also i imagine first time E Staal does anything people will start blaming him for all the teams problems like they did with MSL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not all trades are the same.

I hated the St. Louis trade. Gave up way too much.

Gave up much less for Staal and I would rather have Staal than St. Louis.

And, if you're right about Buchenevich, then it was an insanely stupid pick.

Winning the Cup is the goal. Acquiring Staal makes the team much better and Saarela is merely a maybe to make the NHL.

If we win the Stanley Cup, it was a good trade.

In a vacuum, trading 2 2nd's and possibly our second best prospect, if we don't consider guys like McI and Lindberg to be prospects anymore, is not fair value, considering Staal's like a 45 point player and we are basically trading for 2-5 months of him. If this was November, and we traded all that for Eric Staal it'd be a stupid trade, but teams overpay for rentals at this time of year, and I get that. It's common practice now in the NHL. If it leads to you winning the Cup, it's worth it. If it doesn't, its not. Thats the way I see it.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
The guy has a meansteak, and isn't afraid to use it. No doubt he's been complacent. He brings a temperament to this team that was sorely lacking.

Plus he a pretty good hockey player

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
How? I'm not even arguing that we gave up too much, but how did we win this trade?

Does he fix the swiss cheese defense? Nope

Is he a right handed shot for the PP? Nope

Is he going to push Glass out of the lineup? Nope

He solves literally NONE of the problems this team has.

Every time you add a player that pushes another player down a line, you improve your team.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The only thing he does is move Fast down to the 4th line right now, which Nash would have done when he came back anyway.

So, when Nash comes back, a different player moves down. Your top 9 becomes vastly improved.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Every time you add a player that pushes another player down a line, you improve your team.

Improved? Sure. Has he turned the team from pretenders into legit contenders? Not with Grandpa and the one eyed ginger on the backline, IMO. Not to mention AV's bizarre lineup decisions. I just don't see this trade as giving the Rangers an appreciably better chance at going the distance.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
by the time saarela is nhl ready and those 2 2nd are ready, you may not recognize this team.

the time to win is now. waiting for prospects and picks when eric staal is there helps us now how ?

we added one player and suddenly our top 12 forwards look alot better and thats even with rick nash. :laugh:

chicago is the benchmark for the entire league. if they can do it, why cant we ?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
by the time saarela is nhl ready and those 2 2nd are ready, you may not recognize this team.

the time to win is now. waiting for prospects and picks when eric staal is there helps us now how ?

we added one player and suddenly our top 12 forwards look alot better and thats even with rick nash. :laugh:

chicago is the benchmark for the entire league. if they can do it, why cant we ?

According to Hockey's Future, although Saarela had a hot start in a tier 4 league, he confidence interval for success is between Ryan Kesler and "5. Forth line forward / ...." for which the description just says use your imagination for a similar player.

I think people were trippin' for the sake of trippin'.

nyenavizhumods*

Hate the trade very much. Hate the organization very much. Joined just to say that. Thanks.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Here's what I don't understand.

Yeah, we draft well in later rounds and can overcome a trade or two, but if we give away every single good player we draft and every pick, where do you find NHL players? It doesn't matter how good you draft if you give half of them away.

Maybe we have an alright group of players aged 30-37 and 23-30, but eventually those players get older and the players now aged 18-23 will have to play a big part. If you don't have capable players in your system because they were all traded away for St. Louis, Yandle and Eric Staal, you are pretty much bound to fail.

We find NHL players the same ways other franchises do. You make it sound like the Rangers trade away all of their young talent. How many of them have gone on to shine elsewhere?

The players that the Rangers did bring into the league and remain on the roster are numerous and they range from useful to pretty good, and Lundqvist is great.

View attachment 88231

A lot here that started here, and some pretty fine acquisitions. as well.

You want your team to compete for the Cup on a consistent basis. That's what we have.

Some fans are really spoiled.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If we win the Stanley Cup, it was a good trade.

In a vacuum, trading 2 2nd's and possibly our second best prospect, if we don't consider guys like McI and Lindberg to be prospects anymore, is not fair value, considering Staal's like a 45 point player and we are basically trading for 2-5 months of him. If this was November, and we traded all that for Eric Staal it'd be a stupid trade, but teams overpay for rentals at this time of year, and I get that. It's common practice now in the NHL. If it leads to you winning the Cup, it's worth it. If it doesn't, its not. Thats the way I see it.

So, if the Rangers lose in the Finals, it's a bad deal?

To me, it's only a bad deal if Saarela is at least an excellent 2nd liner.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Improved? Sure. Has he turned the team from pretenders into legit contenders? Not with Grandpa and the one eyed ginger on the backline, IMO. Not to mention AV's bizarre lineup decisions. I just don't see this trade as giving the Rangers an appreciably better chance at going the distance.

They were a contender before the deal, in my opinion.

If your opinion of the team is correct, and it might be, the Rangers should have been sellers. I would never be a seller when my team is arguably the 2nd best team in the conference.

I think fans don't realize that fans of all teams believe their team has holes they must fill or they are doomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille