Confirmed with Link: Eric Lindros To Have Number Retired On 1/18 Against Maple Leafs

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is this not true? He's remembered a lot more for his non-hockey issues than he is for what he did on the ice.

No he isn't.

Nobody cares about his off-ice issues anymore.

When his 8 year Flyers career ended, he was top 5 all-time in PPG.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
No he isn't.

That's what I'm saying. He didn't have the stature he has now. He was a great player when healthy, no question, but I don't like how his controversial history is pretty much ignored after all the let downs with injuries and off-ice issues and on-ice issues (Jonesey's book talks about how it was to have Lindros as a captain). He was booed out of town and then everyone forgets it. Kind of like Scott Rolen with the Phillies.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Kind of like Scott Rolen?! Scott Rolen said "**** you Philly" in so many words. So no, nothing at all like Scott Rolen. Good lord.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Kind of like Scott Rolen?! Scott Rolen said "**** you Philly" in so many words. So no, nothing at all like Scott Rolen. Good lord.

Do you remember the feud between the Flyers and Lindros? Am I imagining him demanding a trade to the Maple Leafs and sitting out a season unless the Flyers did what he told them?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Do you remember the feud between the Flyers and Lindros? Am I imagining him demanding a trade to the Maple Leafs and sitting out a season unless the Flyers did what he told them?

He's absolutely not blameless in the feud, but let's keep this in perspective. The medical staff almost killed the man and you're comparing him to Scott Rolen. This is Stephen A Smith levels of twisting yourself into circles to fit a narrative.

Merchant

Feb 3, 2008
No he isn't.

Yes! And he did it with two guys draped across his back the whole time. For some time, I believe he was even higher than fifth before slipping behind someone (Bossy?).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

We traded him to the Rangers so your memory is definitely failing you.

Kim Johnsson, Pavel Brendl, Jan Hlavac was the return.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
It was the Rangers and for what looked like a good return.
Unfortunately, other than Kim Johnsson the other pieces turned into busts.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
We traded him to the Rangers so your memory is definitely failing you.

Kim Johnsson, Pavel Brendl, Jan Hlavac was the return.

He sat out demanding a trade to the Leafs and only the Leafs. After that season they traded him to the Rangers.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
He's absolutely not blameless in the feud, but let's keep this in perspective. The medical staff almost killed the man and you're comparing him to Scott Rolen. This is Stephen A Smith levels of twisting yourself into circles to fit a narrative.

I honestly don't buy into that 'medical staff almost killed' him crap... at least not the intentionally part that the Lindros Family was trying to establish -- think... would anyone want to do away with their major asset and harm their well being so drastically?... Kill their proverbial golden goose? -- Whether the Flyers were negligent or the communications between #88 and Management was all too lacking... or Lindros took the situation much too lightly until the scary point of action... is open to debate... but what isn't in my mind is that the Lindros Family played their card to the hilt... and that neither Clarke nor the Organization want nothing bad to happen to their main asset... that they invested oh so much for... If they wanted that much to het rid of him, they could easily move him for major assets.

I don't know how much that kill him crap was/is hyperbole... or how much is believed... or how much belief there is that the medical staff was so negligent... but I do know that had Lindos' family not taken such a contentious stance, as was the norm between Players families and Organizations -- and is still the case to this day... even in such a day of screaming for people's Rights -- the Feud probably never would have reached such a boiling point. Rightly or wrongly Clarke & co. felt insulted and fought back tooth and nail... Clarke was certainly not blameless and IMO Lindros was caught in the middle and paid the price for it... as did ultimately the Organization.

In any case... claiming that the Flyers tried to kill Lindros was 100% the wrong way to go with what occurred... and still is.

JMO

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
How many #88 Toronto Jerseys were sold in anticipation of his being traded there? I recall that it was way too many. LOL

I recall it as it being his/their demand also... and Clarke's hands being tied due to it... at least for a while... and Clarke being as hardheaded as anyone else... if not more so.

Oh yeah that was classic with Lindros jerseys (he did wind up there eventually though, so maybe they kept their jerseys around in hopes for that :laugh:). Clarke not dealing him to TOR was definitely somewhat pf an "FU" to Lindros, but at the same time, it is hard to get the right value for a player when the other team knows that he is refusing to go elsewhere and refusing to play for you. A player demanding a trade is one thing. I usually don't blame a player for that. There are a ton of reasons why a player would want out. But demanding to be traded AND only accepting a trade to one specific team is when I have a problem with it. Add on the fact that he sat out during that time and it is hard for me to see how he is not, at the very least, similar to Scott Rolen.

Putting aside the whole narrative of the team almost killing him, he suffered a bad injury, they examined him and it turned out worse than they thought. Unfortunate for sure, but it isn't like a collapsed/punctured lung is something that they'd be looking for. Go to the ER and tell them you got hurt playing hockey, they'll probably diagnose you with bruised ribs just like happened here. Unless there's a reason for it, I guarantee you these team docs don't do in depth testing and diagnostics. If you hurt your shoulder they take a look, diagnose with a strain or sprain unless it is readily apparent that it is something more severe. If it doesn't get better they do more testing...just like if you go to the doctor. They don't do every single test to find out everything. They look for the obvious stuff and go from there. Just happens that the alternative in this case is way worse than just a more severe rib injury.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I honestly don't buy into that 'medical staff almost killed' him crap... at least not the intentionally part that the Lindros Family was trying to establish -- think... would anyone want to do away with their major asset and harm their well being so drastically?... Kill their proverbial golden goose? -- Whether the Flyers were negligent or the communications between #88 and Management was all too lacking... or Lindros took the situation much too lightly until the scary point of action... is open to debate... but what isn't in my mind is that the Lindros Family played their card to the hilt... and that neither Clarke nor the Organization want nothing bad to happen to their main asset... that they invested oh so much for... If they wanted that much to het rid of him, they could easily move him for major assets.

I don't know how much that kill him crap was/is hyperbole... or how much is believed... or how much belief there is that the medical staff was so negligent... but I do know that had Lindos' family not taken such a contentious stance, as was the norm between Players families and Organizations -- and is still the case to this day... even in such a day of screaming for people's Rights -- the Feud probably never would have reached such a boiling point. Rightly or wrongly Clarke & co. felt insulted and fought back tooth and nail... Clarke was certainly not blameless and IMO Lindros was caught in the middle and paid the price for it... as did ultimately the Organization.

In any case... claiming that the Flyers tried to kill Lindros was 100% the wrong way to go with what occurred... and still is.

JMO

Nah, I don't think they intentionally tried to kill him. That's nonsensical conspiracy horsebleep. But their incompetence in this case put his life in legitimate danger and I can't blame anyone for wanting out after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad