Confirmed with Link: Eric Lindros To Have Number Retired On 1/18 Against Maple Leafs

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm happy for Eric. I think if you guys had a different GM at that time Eric would have had a even better career. One of the best power forwards of all time.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Yeah, I think Utley makes the cut. That's really it, though. Rollins and Gagne are probably next closest, but I just don't see either happening.

Rollins has had a better career, Utley is more beloved by the city, but if career accomplishments are what it is based off of, Rollins would be first in line.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Rollins has had a better career, Utley is more beloved by the city, but if career accomplishments are what it is based off of, Rollins would be first in line.

How has Rollins had a better career? I honestly don't even think they're comparable. I guess if you strongly prefer longevity and/or counting stats or give a ton of value to playing the premium defensive position. Other than that, I'm not seeing it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm guessing that to have your number retired, they're going to induct you into their own HOF first. Made more sense last year when Lindros and LeClair went in together. You'd think each would get their own night.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think most of us predicted this was inevitable, even if we're not big fans of his and (especially) his family's interactions with the organization.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I did not have the privledge to see lindros in philly as often as you philly guys. But I did see lindros oh 8 times in western Canada, loved watching him live, easily worth 50-100$ for a ticket back in the 90s

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I'm happy for Eric. I think if you guys had a different GM at that time Eric would have had a even better career. One of the best power forwards of all time.

I think Clarke handled it fine for the most part actually. At least when it came to Eric's meddling parents. There was some tension no doubt. they were 2 stubborn men. But I don't think Bonnie and Carl helped matters at all.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
More than well-deserved. After Bobby, Lindros was the greatest Flyer.

I loved lindros and his game for that era, but to say he was the greatest Flyer shows a bit of disrespect to Bernie, Howe, Clarke. Just saying.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I think Clarke handled it fine for the most part actually. At least when it came to Eric's meddling parents. There was some tension no doubt. they were 2 stubborn men. But I don't think Bonnie and Carl helped matters at all.

Some overlook how the minor league system was liquidated in Lindros' early years, in part because of the trade, and how Clarke resurrected the franchise with his moves including the trade with Montreal and lesser with the reacquisition of Hextall for at least the first two successful playoff runs of Lindros' career. When Clarke was employed by the Florida Panthers and Minnesota North Stars (a team that made the Stanley Cup Finals), the Flyers lost part of their identity and wallowed at times.

The soap opera that followed in the later years wasn't due to one singular person and certainly not entirely on Clarke's shoulders.

It took time, but the feud has mellowed and the various events -- even when Lindros was presented at the closing of the Spectrum with most of the other captains -- show at least the presence of goodwill.

Terry Murray, after his choking comment, was something that had to be addressed and in a swift manner. However, naming Wayne Cashman as head coach was one of Clarke's worse moves. That led into the mid-season hiring of Roger Neilson and then the 2000 playoffs which had its own series of precarious moments unlike anything in the team's history or perhaps comparable to only a handful in NHL history. And I know we disagree on reinserting Lindros in the lineup that series but the Flyers had a chance without him in Game 5, and if his goal was allowed to stand in Game 6 which could have led to a series win against the Devils, the story could or would have had a vastly different ending. Scoring less than a second after the light goes on to end period 2...Game 7 may not have been needed and lest we forget who scored the only true goal for the Flyers in that Game 6. But that is the insertion of storybook romanticizing and epic realities and no that isn't a veiled reference to Keith Jones' assertions.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

While I agree that Eric's Lindros parents should have stayed out of things few players are going to reach their full potential with their GM making nasty comments in the press.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Terry Murray, after his choking comment, was something that had to be addressed and in a swift manner. However, naming Wayne Cashman as head coach was one of Clarke's worse moves. That led into the mid-season hiring of Roger Neilson and then the 2000 playoffs which had its own series of precarious moments unlike anything in the team's history or perhaps comparable to only a handful in NHL history. And I know we disagree on reinserting Lindros in the lineup that series but the Flyers had a chance without him in Game 5, and if his goal was allowed to stand in Game 6 which could have led to a series win against the Devils, the story could or would have had a vastly different ending. Scoring less than a second after the light goes on to end period 2...Game 7 may not have been needed and lest we forget who scored the only true goal for the Flyers in that Game 6. But that is the insertion of storybook romanticizing and epic realities and no that isn't a veiled reference to Keith Jones' assertions.

Most definitely the handling of the coaches for a short time after Murray was canned was not good. Especially the situation with Nielson. That interview with Gord Miller was very regrettable to put it mildly.
I probably am in the minority with how the 2000 ECF played out. That is fine. I can deal with it. it is all hindsight anyway. But I will always maintain that group deserved to win or lose without Lindros.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Meh, the guy was pretty well a villain for a big part of his tenure here. I think Jonesy even apologized for saving his life (in an obvious tongue and cheek manner) when talking about the guy. It wasn't until the Winter Classic in Philly that people seem to have forgotten about his past and started loving him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Meh, the guy was pretty well a villain for a big part of his tenure here. I think Jonesy even apologized for saving his life (in an obvious tongue and cheek manner) when talking about the guy. It wasn't until the Winter Classic in Philly that people seem to have forgotten about his past and started loving him.

What the ****?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->