Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Those Burns are phenomenal gloves for the price, you could do much worse.

Single density foams throughout, but by no means are they cheaply soft. The thickness makes up for that.

Lack of a lock thumb is expected at that level, but that area is bulky enough to offer peace of mind protection-wise without being chunky

Palm has an overlay uncommon at that level, still iffy on Warrior palm durability as a whole.

Decently open and protective cuff with all the right segmentation.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Those Burns are phenomenal gloves for the price, you could do much worse.

Single density foams throughout, but by no means are they cheaply soft. The thickness makes up for that.

Lack of a lock thumb is expected at that level, but that area is bulky enough to offer peace of mind protection-wise without being chunky

Palm has an overlay uncommon at that level, still iffy on Warrior palm durability as a whole.

Decently open and protective cuff with all the right segmentation.

Thanks for the thoughts. I went with the supreme one40s. They were getting great reviews, brand I use almost exclusively, and the color scheme matched my team.
Free shipping at IW too.

Maybe I'll pick up the burn too though. Just for insurance.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I would go with these instead:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-gloves-bully-upgraded-sr.html

hockeymonkey_2244_112028186

Available in black sizes 13-15.

$50 on clearance and that's going to get you better foams + plastic inserts on the backroll and fingers + better palm + mesh gussets.

Believe me I've got two pairs of Warrior mid-level gloves (similar but a different cut) and LOVE THEM. They are well worth the extra few bucks.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Bah, too late!

What color do you need?

Navy/white. I also wanted to try bauers contoured fit. The open cuff on the x40s was nice, but I want something more snug.

Another 50 isn't a huge deal, spending the last bit of Xmas money lol. Almost 26 and I'm getting as much as when I was a kid lmao

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I see.

I used (and liked) a pair of One75 gloves from a few years ago. They have a cool palm made of a layer of thin stretchy material with a thicker palm on top. Close fit, good freedom of movement, no break in needed.

When I needed new gloves I bounced around a lot and couldn't get comfortable with anything until I got into Warriors. They have a little tighter fit than most gloves but not quite as tight as the Supremes.

Oddly enough with Warriors I could do a 13 or 14 inch glove no problem, but any other brand I am super picky and MAYBE can do a 13. Something about how Warrior cuts their palms and fingers where it's more tapered near the finger side, it's just very comfortable yet doesn't move around.

Check em out sometime. I got my two pairs of Koncepts (2010 model I think) for $35 each on clearance and rotate them. My one pair is finally starting to get a bit crusty on the palm after 1.5 seasons. Very durable palms too. And the mesh gussets are very nice.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
I'm normally pretty knowledgeable when it comes to hockey and its equipment but I haven't had a new pair of elbow pads and shin guards in about 10 years. Needless to say, I'm ready for a new pair. Looking to spend no more than ~$50 for each (elbow and shin, separately.) Usually wear Easton, Bauer and Warrior products, but open to all suggestions.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Would you prefer a slim/anatomical shin pad, or a beefier wider one?

Do you have large calf muscles/a deep leg in general?

RE the arms: average muscle mass, thin or beefier?

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island

I would say a slim or average shin pad. My calfs/legs are pretty average. I'm about 6'0" and weigh 175.

Same with the arms, average muscle mass. I like my elbow pads to be smaller and flexible. I hate the ones that have a lot of padding and restrict your movement.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Shins: give CCM and Bauer Supreme a try first. The U+08s are pretty decent, as well as the One40s. Go Stealth if you want narrower, or Vapor. Reebok or Nexus to go wider.

Elbows: Start w/ Supreme again, One40s. This really depends on your arms and preferences though, so try on a few pairs. See if you can find an old pair of Warrior Bullys on clearance too.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
possibly going to get a wheeled bag tommorow. There is a luggage on for less than $40 at the Bentley's which is not meant for sports gear but would probably be very durable, also best price. Or I can get a regular hockey one for under $50 at the Canadian tire. Is there that much of a difference? I'm guessing regular might ventilate better?

I'm scaling down from fat Craig Ludwig specials to a sleeker junior. My legs have a good circumference, so surprised it fit.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Uhh, I wouldn't put hockey gear in a luggage case lol. Go get a decent wheel bag on clearance instead. More practical with pockets in the right places.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Uhh, I wouldn't put hockey gear in a luggage case lol. Go get a decent wheel bag on clearance instead. More practical with pockets in the right places.

Looks wise, the bags are close in length and shape though. The Bentley's looks like a huge duffel.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
If you don't care that you would look ridiculous with it haha

^ all of the other players gonna laugh and call me names?

(And not let me play any reindeer games?)

I'm not a kid anymore I don't have to look cool. All I care about is what the difference is besides a few extra pockets.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I guess...if you were going to get something rugged and durable. I would just go dedicated hockey bag though since it has skate pockets and the nylon is usually a lot tougher and the zippers are stronger.

Seriously, cheap bags rip and the zippers break almost immediately. I can't imagine something made to hold clothing would survive very long.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I guess...if you were going to get something rugged and durable. I would just go dedicated hockey bag though since it has skate pockets and the nylon is usually a lot tougher and the zippers are stronger.

Seriously, cheap bags rip and the zippers break almost immediately. I can't imagine something made to hold clothing would survive very long.

I would agree with this. Also less than 40 vs less than 50? You're not really saving enough here to outweigh the negatives of not having a hockey bag.

More durable
Potentially more pockets
Probably better shoulder straps
Bigger in general
Less questions in every locker room about your travel luggage :P

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I had a fall during my game Sunday when I was knocked into the goal. No big deal, except my shinguard knee protection didn't quite do what it is supposed to (at least what I think it should cover). I ended up with enough of a bruise to cause an annoyance the rest of the game and two days later it still lingers. Again, it's more of an annoyance than anything else. I'm looking for some suggestions on what to replace my shins with.

Currently, I am in 17" X40s. I should probably wear a 16" with tongues tucked in and 15" with them out. I flirted with the idea of untucking my tongues, but have gone away from this. I am 6'2". The spot where the bruised occurred is the top left of my knee if you are looking straight at it. Basically right on the left outside the knee cap just about in the pocket created next to the knee cap when your leg is extended.

Any suggestions for replacements or is this a freak occurrence and replacing the shins will not really do much?

Preferences:
Wider fit (looking to get away from the profile of the Vapors)
Less than 60$
Some sort of wrap around calf protection as for some reason people like to slash me there.

I have my eyes on the Reebok 7k and would like other suggestions to look into. My LHS's do not have much of a selection otherwise I would go in and try some on.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I think you should find the right sized pad first. Perhaps the 17" shifted during play and the misaligned padding orientation created a gap in protection. Double check that?

Reebok or Nexus would be a good wider profile. See if you can find some newer Warriors or older Supremes as well given the price restriction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad