GWT: EPL - Matchweek 38

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Saw the other day that they have won 8 Premier League fixtures since he was sacked.

Jesus Christ I knew it was bad but I didn't realize it was that bad. I know they couldn't play his style but he was resorting to teenagers at one point just to dress a lineup. Who's fault is that?

They may not be back up again for a very long time

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Doing the math real quick, that adds up!

For those wondering, when Bielsa was sacked, they were on 32 point pace. Burnley was relegated with 35 points. The idea that Bielsa's sacking is what caused them to get sent down this year is probably accurate, but only because they would have otherwise been sent down last year.

Point pace didn't mean anything earlier this season when you posted about how great of a team Arsenal had. You were banging that drum and how many points do they have now? It's entirely stripping the situation of context to simply say 'they were on a 32 point pace' because you haven't said why, and you haven't said which teams they were facing to finish up the season. The context required here because apparently you are in need of education is that when Bielsa was sacked Leeds had one match away from home against teams that were strong enough to qualify for Europe. Bielsa had already run the gauntlet and escaped without the team in the relegation zone even though their only decent striker was injured the entire time. Then they sacked him. These things are facts. You can't post any sentence about points pace that disputes it and I'm not getting into a back and forth with you because you're just going to post trash.

More to the point all three relegated teams sacked their manager at a late point in the season. It's counter productive to do so. Bournemouth got it right when they did so back in August. Forest never did and they stayed up. There's something to be said for continuity and plugging away.

Jesus Christ I knew it was bad but I didn't realize it was that bad. I know they couldn't play his style but he was resorting to teenagers at one point just to dress a lineup. Who's fault is that?

They may not be back up again for a very long time
Supposedly Bielsa demanded midfielders and was told no. Kalvin Phillips was also injured before the transfer window opened until March so this isn't like 'oh they aren't related situations' because they sure are. They sacked the guy when Phillips and Bamford were both hurt and they weren't in the relegation zone. They've gotten exactly what they deserved in the long run. The guy with his point pace comment like that actually matters can shove it. Teams like Leeds, Southampton, Everton, and Leicester decided not to back their manager until it was too late or until they had the wrong manager. And well one escaped and the other three didn't.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Also, to further clarify, if Bielsa had the resources given to him that Leeds had this season they'd have cruised to midtable. If you think he wouldn't have done better than Marsch you're crazy.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
They spent 65-70m on Aaronson and Rutter who did nothing. They were a flawed team from day 1 but they didn’t recoup any of the money they made off Raphina and Phillips. Their goalie was by far the worst in the EPL and their back line was Championship level. They went way into the Red Bull deep end

Adams I think will get a move to another EPL club, mid table. McKennie’s stock is massively down, doubt he is in June’s plans anymore and doubt any EPL club picks him up (though he has been linked with Brighton). My guess another loan stint for him, probably BL

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Everton have serious work to do over the Summer. They can’t afford to be relegated with a new stadium opening for 2024-25
I don’t think any club has spent worse than Everton recently, and yes they need massive surgery. How committed are they to Dycheball though is going to be their question

Teams like Leeds, Southampton, Everton, and Leicester decided not to back their manager until it was too late or until they had the wrong manager. And well one escaped and the other three didn't.
I think the issue with Leicester is their players very clearly did not give a shit if they got relegated or not. They were by far the most apathetic team that I saw this year. No one gave a damn; probably because a lot knew they could get moves this summer

Reactions: NJDevs26

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think Luton Town will be relegated in a year.
I would agree with this. They need to make some savvy transfers and invest in the club's overall Infrastructure.

If they stay up, great! If not, at least create an environment prone to coming back.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Jesse Marsch would have kept them up if he stayed.

They would have had a better chance of staying up if Adams stayed healthy

Can he stop a f’n counter attack?
Jessie Marsch is 100% responsible for Leeds demise. He was out of his depth as a head coach and his off-season recruitment of players is what relegated the club to the championship. Instead of doing proper worldwide scouting, he recruited only players he knew from US, or Austria bundisliga or German bundisliga. Players that were found out that wasn't of the quality required for EPL.

Marsch was THAT BAD in that I dont think he works in Europe again.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Jessie Marsch is 100% responsible for Leeds demise. He was out of his depth as a head coach and his off-season recruitment of players is what relegated the club to the championship. Instead of doing proper worldwide scouting, he recruited only players he knew from US, or Austria bundisliga or German bundisliga. Players that were found out that wasn't of the quality required for EPL.

Marsch was THAT BAD in that I dont think he works in Europe again.
He wasn’t great, but those were his players, and they got worse after he left. I don’t think Marsch is the second coming, but I think with Marsch Leeds finish above Everton; which is a very low bar but it keeps them up

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@Live in the Now
If Emery is to Sevilla/Aston Villa, then Bielsa is to Real Madrid/PSG.

He has to play a certain way and that way is when you have a ton of money which can buy talented attacking players. He was never going to succeed with Leeds because they lack the high-end resources, but are wealthier than any single team in the Championship and below that. It makes sense why his season was so productive with Leeds prior to promotion.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Bielsa has always had a short shelf life. I’ve stayed on here countless times he won’t last at leeds…. But he doesn’t need a vast amount of resources. See Bilbao

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Let's put it this way rather than give their limited resources to the American guy who only won in Austria with a financially juiced team (arguably in comparison to their competition the most juiced team in Europe) I would rather give them to Bielsa. It's ok to sack Bielsa but not for that guy. After selling Raphinha and Philips they had some resources though. They bought 8 players who weren't very cheap, some of them are pretty good but nobody could coach them. The only reason people defend the decision is, well I can't think of any reason besides the obvious

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Most of the people who defend Leeds are American are they not? Or they wanted American players to go there did they not? I'm more annoyed that some of our kids wanted to go waste their career at Leeds than anything else.
It seems most people defending Leeds are from Leeds. Granted a lot of Leeds fans are kind of going overboard with their hate but McKennie and Aaronson do kind of suck. :dunno: I'm not going to pretend otherwise just because they were on a dumpster fire squad and are American.

Reactions: luiginb

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It seems most people defending Leeds are from Leeds. Granted a lot of Leeds fans are kind of going overboard with their hate but McKennie and Aaronson do kind of suck. :dunno: I'm not going to pretend otherwise just because they were on a dumpster fire squad and are American.

I dunno I read a Leeds fan forum sometime around when Marsch got sacked and a lot of them were still furious about the events leading to this situation in the first place.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Most of the people who defend Leeds are American are they not? Or they wanted American players to go there did they not? I'm more annoyed that some of our kids wanted to go waste their career at Leeds than anything else.
Ah, thought you were referring to the Bielsa part there. My bad.

Agreed.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't care one ounce about the USNT, but I think the EPL is in a better state when Leeds is in it, but there are some other clubs that I feel the same like Birmingham FC, Portsmouth, and Middlesbrough. However, not everyone is guaranteed a spot due to the constant flux of the status of clubs in the EPL. Spending a ton of money won't save you like we've seen million times before and now with LC. I do think too many teams get relegated though. Keep the three if you must, but 17th place should be able to battle for its spot against the winner of 3rd to 6th from the championship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad