GWT: EPL - Matchweek 35

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Missed the match, but big three points. Thanks De Gea.

I see no one here mentioned that Lindelof no call. That was a shambolic call.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
And yet his arm didn’t make the frame of his body bigger in relation to contact with the ball and thus it’s not a handball.
Yeah, all it did was help him control the ball. The idea that as long as you intentionally play the ball with your hand in front of your body to assist the play it's okay is farcical.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I think Howe starting Murphy and Wilson was probably a mistake considering healthy bench options which were better.

But probably the bigger concern for them is that gap between midfieild and defense which Arsenal easy kept going through. I don't think that Newcastle central midfield is correctly setup against top teams.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
At least Varane is expected to return next week vs Wolves. Not sure if he'll start but United are absolute horseshit without him and Martinez.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think Howe starting Murphy and Wilson was probably a mistake considering healthy bench options which were better.

But probably the bigger concern for them is that gap between midfieild and defense which Arsenal easy kept going through. I don't think that Newcastle central midfield is correctly setup against top teams.

Didn't watch this game so can't speak for it bit I think one thing that has held Howe back and will going forward is that he isn't ruthless. He's a great manager for an underdog and with players who aren't top tier talent. But he has a " dance with the one's who brought you" mentality. He has trouble moving on from players he's known or been with and going to fresh blood. It'll put a cap on how high he or Newcastle can go until he changes or they move on.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It was a brutal goal given up by De Gea but the backline fumbled this big time too before the shot.
I mean… it wasn’t great from the back line I guess. But if you’re forcing Benrahma into a pretty weak 40 yard shot it could be a lot worse. Every defense should expect their goalie to not only save that shot, but fully control it. That’s all on DDG.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Man United in 6 last matches (in all competitions) just 3 goals for.

2 wins 1 draw 3 losses

They’ve effectively been the Marcus Rashford show this year.

His form has dropped back to earth so they’re not scoring much.

That coincided with the back line being decimated which means the midfield has to stay back a bit more and there’s less ability to overload the top end of the midfield with quality and generate ancillary chances that way.

Varane returning would be a significant boost, but it may be a couple weeks before he’s back into 90 minute fitness.

Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
When was the last time Fulham finished above Chelsea? That would actually be a huge deal amongst the London clubs

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
He does. I just wonder who he fits with. I think Arsenal could work, but for his own career and development, is he good enough to go to City?
I think Arsenal is for sure the best bet. His technical game is very underrated, but I don’t know that he fits what City wants to do. I thought the same about Kalvin Phillips and they plopped £50M on him anyway, so who knows. He’s better than Partey and he should prioritize game time, so that would be my move.

Chelsea is a dumpster fire and if Mount leaves the “best friend” angle is gone, but maybe going back has some pull for him still.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think Pep tries to move him to defense. But who knows. He's certainly better with the ball than everyone gives him credit.

I think he plays for Xhaka going forward if he was there, but we shall see. He has a lot of options.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
When was the last time Fulham finished above Chelsea? That would actually be a huge deal amongst the London clubs

From what I can see Fulham has finished above Chelsea in the pyramid a total of 5 times

50-51 Fulham was 18th in Div 1, Chelsea was 19th
59-60 Fulham was 10th in Div 1, Chelsea was 18th
61-62 Fulham was 20th in Div 1, Chelsea was 22nd and relegated
62-63 Fulham was 16th in Div 1, Chelsea was 2nd in Div 2
82-83 Fulham was 4th in Div 2, Chelsea was 18th

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I think Pep tries to move him to defense. But who knows. He's certainly better with the ball than everyone gives him credit.

I think he plays for Xhaka going forward if he was there, but we shall see. He has a lot of options.
He’d be a very good CB if that’s where he stayed. At this point, I think it would be a waste for his talent though. That’d definitely be a classic Pep move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad