GWT: EPL - Matchweek 32

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yes, and it was an awful, awful call. Caicedo is literally lying on the group. The attacker didn't go in with any pace on his foot and didn't raise his foot more than a few inches off the ground.
His foot was over Caicedo's body as the ball was coming down on top of him. That's fine as a call, though the yellow was harsh.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
His foot was over Caicedo's body as the ball was coming down on top of him. That's fine as a call, though the yellow was harsh.
Unless the attacker is being reckless with his pace or force, it's absolutely not a foul to try to poke the ball away from a player who is choosing to lay flat on his back on the pitch.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Went for a walk only to come back to Liverpool fans going from "woe is me, we've certainly lost the title again" to "yeah, Darwin Nunez can't finish, but he's a big reason we're in this title race."

Good lord.

• Haha
Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
honestly i would have bet money pregame on a 2-2 scoreline

felt so predictable

please put poch out of his misery

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Has anyone on Liverpool even thought about getting Darwin Nunez a sports psychologist? Or at least an English teacher?

Also love the jealousy of rival fans over Maddison.

Reactions: HeHateMeFrisbee

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Has anyone on Liverpool even thought about getting Darwin Nunez a sports psychologist? Or at least an English teacher?

Also love the jealousy of rival fans over Maddison.
I can fully recognize he's an excellent player and brings a lot to the pitch. But he's also insanely easy to hate.

Kinda like Bruno.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Nah he's nothing like Bruno

I told you guys he was gonna be class
He was good at Leicester but you never what will happen when a guy moves to a bigger club. Maddison has been better than expected. Spurs haven’t really had that kind of creativity in the midfield since Eriksen.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Also, I didn't not know Sturridge has so much personality. Him being on EPL fest showed me he needs to be on the telly.

Going back to the Chelsea/Man United, the penalties have been so pathetic. How Palmer got two is nonsense and the others are equally bad. When has this sport turned so soft? Gordon is the worst offender though, he constantly throws himself into goalkeepers and defenders. It's so bad that refs bite on these plays.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Also, I didn't not know Sturridge has so much personality. Him being on EPL fest showed me he needs to be on the telly.

Going back to the Chelsea/Man United, the penalties have been so pathetic. How Palmer got two is nonsense and the others are equally bad. When has this sport turned so soft? Gordon is the worst offender though, he constantly throws himself into goalkeepers and defenders. It's so bad that refs bite on these plays.
I think part of it is that referees are being more liberal with their penalty calls under the idea that “VAR will check if I made a mistake” but then VAR is basically looking for any possible justification for the referees decision instead of actually acting like a check on him.

It felt that in the past referees acted more like they had to be sure to call pens. They didn’t want to give a pen if they didn’t feel confident it was a foul whereas now there’s a ton of “yea that looked close, I’ll call it live and let VAR sort it out”

Reactions: maclean and S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think part of it is that referees are being more liberal with their penalty calls under the idea that “VAR will check if I made a mistake” but then VAR is basically looking for any possible justification for the referees decision instead of actually acting like a check on him.

It felt that in the past referees acted more like they had to be sure to call pens. They didn’t want to give a pen if they didn’t feel confident it was a foul whereas now there’s a ton of “yea that looked close, I’ll call it live and let VAR sort it out”
100%. They (VAR) want to trust the refs and that's such a flawed perspective because how many VAR pens have we seen actually be overturned this season? Gotta be super low and how VAR allowed that second one on United is main problem we have now. The bloke touches Madueke's thigh and because he touched him, all Noni is going to do, is go down. I don't blame him at all going down on that play, because he got the ref to bite. It's in a really bad spot currently.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Spurs good to start, dodgy after the Wood goal but the changes at halftime changed the game. PEH and Rodrigo controlled the game with some class finishes. Micky with an absolute rocket - he's got world class potential.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

double negative!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: S E P H

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

The 26-year-old barged into Estupinan and when the Brighton star responded with a slight nudge, White fell to the ground clutching his throat.

‘Should we mention the Ben White incident?’ Match of the Day host Lineker asked on The Rest is Football podcast.

Ex-England striker and Premier League legend Shearer responded: ‘Yes we should! What a f*****g joke.’

Lineker continued: ‘What I don’t understand, I don’t like and never have liked play-acting. I don’t get it or understand why players do it, but especially now when you’ve got so many cameras at the ground and you’ve got VAR anyway that will look back at incidents.

‘Do you not think to yourself, that’s a bit embarrassing doing that? And Ben White is not the only one by the way, lots of players do it, but I just don’t know why you’d bring that on yourself. You just look at prat.’

Shearer added: ‘Absolutely, it was embarrassing, very embarrassing.’

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yesterday's game was the 26th CB pairing that started for United in 31 games. 31 different backlines in 43 games this season in all competitions.

And one poster at RedCafe put it:

At one point most of the senior midfield was out injured save for Mctominay, Bruno and reserve Hannibal

At one point we had no striker available.

At one point we had only one senior fullback available for a full month

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad