GWT: EPL - Matchweek 28 (ft. MW 17)

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Didn't catch the game but seems to me it should have been all over before the penalty situation even occured. 8 minutes added and the clock was almost on 99. Should it even have been 8 minutes from the beginning? Nobody seems to ask these questions.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Once again, that’s horseshit. They got a drop ball. Plenty of chances to clear and still had to score the goal.

There’s a massive difference between two clear missed penalties (the Arsenal handball and this one), a good goal that was blown off that everyone even admitted they screwed up, and what happened in the last EPL match.

Reactions: Ponds and luiginb

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Once again, that’s horseshit. They got a drop ball. Plenty of chances to clear and still had to score the goal.

There’s a massive difference between two clear missed penalties (the Arsenal handball and this one), a good goal that was blown off that everyone even admitted they screwed up, and what happened in the last EPL match.

Liverpool never would have scored after the drop ball because they wouldn't have had possession, you are lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

Liverpool were screwed yesterday, no doubt. But the mental gymnastics needed to justify the stolen points the week prior is worthy of an Olympic medal

Reactions: bluesfan94

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Didn't catch the game but seems to me it should have been all over before the penalty situation even occured. 8 minutes added and the clock was almost on 99. Should it even have been 8 minutes from the beginning? Nobody seems to ask these questions.
Seems to me like you should actually watch the game before giving your opinion on stoppage time.

The foul itself occurred well within the original 8 minutes and 8 minutes was totally normal for this season given the number of second half stoppages.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Liverpool never would have scored after the drop ball because they wouldn't have had possession, you are lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

Liverpool were screwed yesterday, no doubt. But the mental gymnastics needed to justify the stolen points the week prior is worthy of an Olympic medal
They're once again not the same. We can't know because they would have had to play out the game. There was certainly time for other events to happen in the match, as there was a minimum of 90 seconds or so between the drop issue and the final result. Shit, they should have cleared the ball and had chance to do so on more than one occasion. It was for sure fortunate. I said on here directly after that they have the right to feel aggrieved. But that's not the same as clear goals and stonewall penalties. If this situation was what happened, say, with City getting a throw in they should not have, and then scoring, I would be upset, but it happens in matches and there really isn't a ton you can do about it. It's the equivalent of a team getting a corner kick when it should be a goal kick, and you just play on with it. That isn't something you can legislate / VAR / fix in the game, and you live with it.

No one is doing mental gymnastics. In the City match, they literally blew the whistle at basically the next time the ball got moving in play after they had to pick a dude who was karate kicked in the chest off the ground. It's obvious having a penalty there could have swung the points in another direction.

Once again, UNLIKE the issue last week, there's VAR and review, which could practically fix the issue. But we are left wondering why the hell it wasn't, or what exactly they do look at.

Reactions: luiginb

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Enough about the penalty. It's stupid that's what are left talking about in this match.

I'll say this. No one goes at City like that. Especially with the injuries Liverpool had. I'll miss the Klopp / Pep rivalry the most, but that's what is good about this iteration of the EPL. I'll also say that anyone saying Anfield isn't something... I'll encourage you to watch this match in the second half. City has a ton of the best players in the world. Some of them were making mistakes and errors they never make.

Reactions: luiginb and gary69

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Overall I think more teams 'go at City' these days. Brighton tries, it doesn't usually equal 3 points but they at least push Pep's side in ways middle-table clubs haven't in the past.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
They're once again not the same. We can't know because they would have had to play out the game. There was certainly time for other events to happen in the match, as there was a minimum of 90 seconds or so between the drop issue and the final result. Shit, they should have cleared the ball and had chance to do so on more than one occasion. It was for sure fortunate. I said on here directly after that they have the right to feel aggrieved. But that's not the same as clear goals and stonewall penalties. If this situation was what happened, say, with City getting a throw in they should not have, and then scoring, I would be upset, but it happens in matches and there really isn't a ton you can do about it. It's the equivalent of a team getting a corner kick when it should be a goal kick, and you just play on with it. That isn't something you can legislate / VAR / fix in the game, and you live with it.

No one is doing mental gymnastics. In the City match, they literally blew the whistle at basically the next time the ball got moving in play after they had to pick a dude who was karate kicked in the chest off the ground. It's obvious having a penalty there could have swung the points in another direction.

Once again, UNLIKE the issue last week, there's VAR and review, which could practically fix the issue. But we are left wondering why the hell it wasn't, or what exactly they do look at.
In that case, we can’t know the penalty would be scored.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

A few of you should brush up on the rules of the game. Doku makes a studs up challenge with a raised foot, doesn't win the ball (although that's not important if the play is dangerous, which it was) and kicks Mac Allister in the chest. It's a penalty. It's one thing for the on field official to miss the call, but it's another for VAR not to get it right. Especially when the sole reason it was implemented, was to correct situations like these.

There is a lot of bitterness towards Liverpool and their supporters. A false narrative of them "whining" when things don't go their way. As if they have faced the same amount of injustice as any other club.

Here's some more reading you can delve into, if you actually care to come closer to the truth.

Liverpool have had more dubious calls go against them then any other team in the Premier League. That is a fact. The article above is from May 2023. So it doesn't factor in the legitimate goal Luis Diaz scored against Tottenham not being given. The worst VAR debacle since it's inception in the Prem. Not to mention some of the highly questionable cards that were handed out in that match. Or the game of basketball Martin Odegaard played in the box at Anfield.

The PGMOL will blow whatever kind of smoke up the collective arses that is convenient at the time. In the match against Tottenham, the line was that the play had already resumed so they couldn't call it back to give the goal. Yet only a handful of matches later, roughly 2 minutes of play was called back in favor of giving Crystal Palace a penalty against the very same Reds. Which they scored. Sound.

I'm not saying Liverpool have never benefited from an iffy call going in their favor. But to equate something like the drop ball against Forrest being in the same realm as this shite, is beyond disingenuous. Forrest were also awarded an incorrect drop ball earlier in that match, might I add.

Lazy agendas.

Today, Liverpool had their chances to win the match outright and didn't capitalize. City themselves also hit the woodwork late. Even though that is true, it shouldn't excuse a blatant penalty not being awarded. It doesn't matter what scoring chances were missed up to that point. A penalty is a penalty.

I can't say why exactly these calls are missed routinely against Liverpool, and why City have benefited from so many in their favor during their period of dominance. I can say, I do not believe for a second that it just comes down to incompetence.

A fish stinks from the head.
While I’m brushing up on it, where in the rule book does it say anything about a raised foot? Aren’t most balls played with a raised foot given that you don’t drag your foot across the ground?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Spurs are 4-2-2 in their last 8 league matches against City scoring 15 goals

Liverpool are 1-5-2 in their last 8 league matches against City scoring 10 goals.
Records are so silly in this. Spurs got some goals on the counter and held on for dear life in December. The xG in that match was completely lopsided. Sure, they've been decent against City in the past. It's a completely different manager, system and a lot of the past players aren't there.

1710169873792.png

In the stats, City were clearly dominant in most of the matches, and Spurs were probably more lucky than actually taking it to City. When I made my statement, Spurs might have had good results against City, but no team really unsettles City to the extent Liverpool were able to for the 2nd half today. Obviously, new manager, new mindset, new tactics for Spurs, and long may it continue. But the Conte get everyone behind the ball and pray for a counter attack isn't really 'going at City'

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Overall I think more teams 'go at City' these days. Brighton tries, it doesn't usually equal 3 points but they at least push Pep's side in ways middle-table clubs haven't in the past.
I’m just picking your quote because I like you the best, not picking on you here.

But yeah I said the same thing about no one else doing that to City and I stand by that too. I don’t think there are many times where someone has out possessed, outshot AND out xG’s City’s A Team; especially with their B Team. That just doesn’t happen. That happened yesterday.

While I’m brushing up on it, where in the rule book does it say anything about a raised foot? Aren’t most balls played with a raised foot given that you don’t drag your foot across the ground?
Most raised feet to play balls don’t go into people’s chest. So I think there’s a bit of common sense that has to be involved here

Reactions: robertmac43

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Records are so silly in this. Spurs got some goals on the counter and held on for dear life in December. The xG in that match was completely lopsided. Sure, they've been decent against City in the past. It's a completely different manager, system and a lot of the past players aren't there.

View attachment 834059

In the stats, City were clearly dominant in most of the matches, and Spurs were probably more lucky than actually taking it to City. When I made my statement, Spurs might have had good results against City, but no team really unsettles City to the extent Liverpool were able to for the 2nd half today. Obviously, new manager, new mindset, new tactics for Spurs, and long may it continue. But the Conte get everyone behind the ball and pray for a counter attack isn't really 'going at City'
A+ stuff when you get out xG'd 2.9-0.1 then 2.4-0.3 then 1.4-07 and you walk away with two 2-0 wins and one 2-2 draw :laugh:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The Chelsea-City 4-4 in November saw Chelsea have more shots, pip a lead on xG, and possession was 45-55. And Chelsea most definitely took it to them in that game.

Liverpool played really really well yesterday, but let's not pretend it was an extraordinary, unique, or unparalleled performance. "No one else does this to them" - well, no, that's not true now is it.

Reactions: maclean

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Chelsea-City 4-4 in November saw Chelsea have more shots, pip a lead on xG, and possession was 45-55. And Chelsea most definitely took it to them in that game.

Liverpool played really really well yesterday, but let's not pretend it was an extraordinary, unique, or unparalleled performance. "No one else does this to them" - well, no, that's not true now is it.
That’s certainly close, but I wouldn’t say Chelsea had nearly as much sustained momentum as LFC did yesterday. And again they were out possessed so wouldn’t fit all the criteria that I provided, but it’s only my criteria; but you have to quantify that somehow

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
A+ stuff when you get out xG'd 2.9-0.1 then 2.4-0.3 then 1.4-07 and you walk away with two 2-0 wins and one 2-2 draw :laugh:
City hadn't scored once off of like 10+ cumulative xG at Spurs new stadium, until Ake last game (a goal that very well could have been called off too). :dunno:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
True. We cannot. It's about a 75% chance of a goal. I'd rather that than no chance.

It's also significantly greater than the chance of Liverpool scoring in the prior match at the death.
If we assume a PK is 75% chance for goal; there are three stonewall PK incidents
we got screwed on this season, so it’s pretty fair that we should have at least 4 more points just based on ref errors. And that’s not even counting the Tottenham officiating debacle.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

A few of you should brush up on the rules of the game. Doku makes a studs up challenge with a raised foot, doesn't win the ball (although that's not important if the play is dangerous, which it was) and kicks Mac Allister in the chest. It's a penalty. It's one thing for the on field official to miss the call, but it's another for VAR not to get it right. Especially when the sole reason it was implemented, was to correct situations like these.

There is a lot of bitterness towards Liverpool and their supporters. A false narrative of them "whining" when things don't go their way. As if they have faced the same amount of injustice as any other club.

Here's some more reading you can delve into, if you actually care to come closer to the truth.

Liverpool have had more dubious calls go against them then any other team in the Premier League. That is a fact. The article above is from May 2023. So it doesn't factor in the legitimate goal Luis Diaz scored against Tottenham not being given. The worst VAR debacle since it's inception in the Prem. Not to mention some of the highly questionable cards that were handed out in that match. Or the game of basketball Martin Odegaard played in the box at Anfield.

The PGMOL will blow whatever kind of smoke up the collective arses that is convenient at the time. In the match against Tottenham, the line was that the play had already resumed so they couldn't call it back to give the goal. Yet only a handful of matches later, roughly 2 minutes of play was called back in favor of giving Crystal Palace a penalty against the very same Reds. Which they scored. Sound.

I'm not saying Liverpool have never benefited from an iffy call going in their favor. But to equate something like the drop ball against Forrest being in the same realm as this shite, is beyond disingenuous. Forrest were also awarded an incorrect drop ball earlier in that match, might I add.

Lazy agendas.

Today, Liverpool had their chances to win the match outright and didn't capitalize. City themselves also hit the woodwork late. Even though that is true, it shouldn't excuse a blatant penalty not being awarded. It doesn't matter what scoring chances were missed up to that point. A penalty is a penalty.

I can't say why exactly these calls are missed routinely against Liverpool, and why City have benefited from so many in their favor during their period of dominance. I can say, I do not believe for a second that it just comes down to incompetence.

A fish stinks from the head.
*Of the 22 clubs to register at least one 90th-minute or later Premier League penalty since 2016, Liverpool rank last, at 22nd, on a per-season basis*

“I’m not saying that other clubs should not have the number of penalties that they have, just wondering why Liverpool, via refs but more so via VAR, generally get fewer penalties despite only one club have better attacking metrics in the Jürgen Klopp era.”

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
  • Bournemouth get more early penalties than any other Premier League team (first 15 minutes), despite not always being in the top flight (several seasons in the Championship). This weekend? Penalty, 14th minute.
  • Man United ranked second for penalties in the first 15 minutes. Result this weekend? Penalty in the 12th minute.

Unless the point he's trying to make is "these trends are weird, but the calls are totally justified" then I'm not sure what including the United or Bournemouth penalties were. Both were very obvious calls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad