GWT: EPL - Matchweek 23

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Of course, he had a rough three months when he got there but it had more to do with expectations and a bad first game (not Woodgate level but still) than anything else, then he started for them for three more years! Well into his 36yo season, after which he had another season starting for Juventus.
I clearly talked about the Ballon D'or.
Which went from January to December.
He had a solid first part of the heat with Juve, a very solid WC and a desastrous second half of the season.
One of the worst Ballon d'Or in history. He's nowhere near the nest CB of his own generation, heck even in his country.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The ragging on Arsenal’s celebrations are pretty funny to me. They played a club that has the manager run on to the field every week and do choreographed fist pumps to the crowd.
to be fair... I have no issues with the after the match stuff from any manager. It's silly, but whatever. Dude looks like he is out there playing with his players. I'm worried he might have a heart attack trying to fire up his players. Klopp does get up and down, but he is much more muted with his sidelines stuff than he used to be for sure.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
The ragging on Arsenal’s celebrations are pretty funny to me. They played a club that has the manager run on to the field every week and do choreographed fist pumps to the crowd.
You talking about the same Liverpool manager that once celebrated a 2-2 draw to West Brom?

Meanwhile Arteta gets yellow cards for celebrating last-minute winners just like any other coach.

The point of it is that their fan base rags on anyone else celebrating a win.
I think we actually just called the other fanbases hypocrites for ragging on Arsenal fans for being excited about a near-perfect first half of last season, while no one was ragging on Spurs fans for anointing Ange into sainthood after 7-8 games.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You talking about the same Liverpool manager that once celebrated a 2-2 draw to West Brom?
I don't think this is the same situation. That was in Klopp's first season when he was desperately trying to wake up a largely dormant fan base. Also it was critically panned at the time, and the LFC support also hated it. So its a really lousy example to bring up as a comparison.

Just think its funny that teams beat LFC and they celebrate more than they do when they beat City.
Meanwhile Arteta gets yellow cards for celebrating last-minute winners just like any other coach.
He should not get yellows for that. No one else should either.
I think we actually just called the other fanbases hypocrites for ragging on Arsenal fans for being excited about a near-perfect first half of last season, while no one was ragging on Spurs fans for anointing Ange into sainthood after 7-8 games.
I actually think this is completely fair.

Don't think choreographed is the right word here. Its part of his schtick for sure, but he is also the same manager who has told his own crowd/supporters to stop singing his name on multiple occasions this season, and has said that (aside from his farewell tour because duh) he is trying to limit the fist pumps. But he's also done it as long as he has been a manager so at least he is consistent.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Managers coming on the pitch should get yellows. Managers running around the sidelines in front/past the opposing bench should get yellows. Managers running around and jumping in front of their own bench shouldn't get yellows.
I used to think this, but all of those penalty calls in (American) Football have changed my mind on this.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Don't think choreographed is the right word here. Its part of his schtick for sure, but he is also the same manager who has told his own crowd/supporters to stop singing his name on multiple occasions this season, and has said that (aside from his farewell tour because duh) he is trying to limit the fist pumps. But he's also done it as long as he has been a manager so at least he is consistent.
It’s a call and response act. Choreographed is the perfect word.

That’s kind of the point. If Arteta did that last match people would be giving him shit for pageantry. Klopp avoids scrutiny because he does it every week, regardless of the opponent or scale of victory.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s a call and response act. Choreographed is the perfect word.

That’s kind of the point. If Arteta did that last match people would be giving him shit for pageantry. Klopp avoids scrutiny because he does it every week, regardless of the opponent or scale of victory.
But Arteta did do it yesterday and Klopp does not do it every week. So yeah.

BUt you are right, when Klopp does it, its just what he does. When Arteta does it after beating LFC, he is mocking them, so yeah I think there is a bit of a difference.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
But Arteta did do it yesterday and Klopp does not do it every week. So yeah.

BUt you are right, when Klopp does it, it’s just what he does. When Arteta does it after beating LFC, he is mocking them, so yeah I think there is a bit of a difference.
He does it more than he doesn’t. I won’t pretend I watch every Liverpool match, but every time I do, he does it so…

Don’t really understand this response. “It’s just what he does” isn’t a defense is you’re going to rag on another manager being over the top. The crux of the criticism, both here and online, has nothing to do with “mocking”. It’s about it being a Cup final type celebration - Jurgen must have twenty-five Cup finals a season then.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He does it more than he doesn’t. I won’t pretend I watch every Liverpool match, but every time I do, he does it so…
This isn't true though. It was more at the start of his tenure and then he dialed it back. The fans love it and ask for it. I mean he didn't do it after they beat Utd 7-0 last season for example. He even said himself that he doesn't like to do it every game because it loses meaning if it goes to the well too many times. You see it a lot after crazy games/comebacks/big wins/etc. but who has been involved in more of those than LFC? And those probably correlate to the games that you have seen of theirs as well.
Don’t really understand this response. “It’s just what he does” isn’t a defense is you’re going to rag on another manager being over the top. The crux of the criticism, both here and online, has nothing to do with “mocking”. It’s about it being a Cup final type celebration - Jurgen must have twenty-five Cup finals a season then.
I am just saying Arteta should get his own celly. And yeah I think its a bit over the top to dance on an opponent that is still above them in the table, but LFC, even with a weakened squad are massive. I get it. I just think the mocking is by far the weakest form of celebrations. Thats all

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA

Completely different point, but i can see reading comprehension is not your strongest suit.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The team with this guy managing them is now the celebration police?
Great clip! Thanks for sharing!

96th minute winner over local rival on one of the most ridiculous goals of all time? That's a really big moment. Also this was in 2018. I understand LFC are a benchmark, but come on. Lets justify everything based on something that happened over 5 years ago.

But again, Klopp was like this at Dortmund too. He has certainly toned things down quite a bit since then. Maybe it coincided with winning UCL and PL, but Klopp isn't doing this anymore, and certainly not every week.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Great clip! Thanks for sharing!

96th minute winner over local rival on one of the most ridiculous goals of all time? That's a really big moment. Also this was in 2018. I understand LFC are a benchmark, but come on. Lets justify everything based on something that happened over 5 years ago.

But again, Klopp was like this at Dortmund too. He has certainly toned things down quite a bit since then. Maybe it coincided with winning UCL and PL, but Klopp isn't doing this anymore, and certainly not every week.
Klopp has consistently been a clown in this arena, I agree. Makes the Arteta stuff ring pretty hollow from certain sections.

Arteta doesn’t do that every week either - the point is Klopp has done it more.

Reactions: bluesfan94

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Completely different point, but i can see reading comprehension is not your strongest suit.
When did Arsenal fans call out Spurs fans or anyone else for over-celebrating a win? Maybe someone did and idk, but I think the majority of posts were about what I said above.

Arsenal won against a title race rival yesterday and even the media is only talking about us over-celebrating rather than the performance.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
When did Arsenal fans call out Spurs fans or anyone else for over-celebrating a win? Maybe someone did and idk, but I think the majority of posts were about what I said above.

Arsenal won against a title race rival yesterday and even the media is only talking about us over-celebrating rather than the performance.
Didn’t just win. Dominated:

Reactions: S E P H and KJS14

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

I will say Klopp has gotten a bunch of shit for this here - I don’t know/remember if that’s extended to the pundit class.

At this point, he’s done it so much that it doesn’t get the attention anymore, which is really what I take issue with on the Arteta stuff. The people getting mad at Arteta hand wave Klopp - “Oh that’s just him”.

Reactions: bluesfan94

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA

There were numerous examples of this on X when Spurs had last minute wins early in the season.

I don't care that Arsenal celebrated. They won, they should be happy about it! Just don't have double standards...

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I just don't really get going bonkers against Liverpool. Sure it was a big match and Arsenal really did need to win to 'stay in a title race' (if that's really a thing). I guess to me it looks like someone's compensating for some of the stress and issues of their own club.

It isn't like Liverpool are a hated rival or something. I guess on these forums, mouthy fans of both sides lead to some of that animosity. But I don't really see it otherwise. There's 3 or 4 more clubs I rather demolish than Arsenal.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I just don't really get going bonkers against Liverpool. Sure it was a big match and Arsenal really did need to win to 'stay in a title race' (if that's really a thing). I guess to me it looks like someone's compensating for some of the stress and issues of their own club.

It isn't like Liverpool are a hated rival or something. I guess on these forums, mouthy fans of both sides lead to some of that animosity. But I don't really see it otherwise. There's 3 or 4 more clubs I rather demolish than Arsenal.
Well the issue is that Arsenal just normally celebrated a win against the team that's top of the table and one of their two direct rivals for the title. Contrary to what you may have read here, we did not in fact hold a trophy ceremony on a stage at the middle of the Emirates pitch yesterday, but every Liverpool fan has said "they treated it like a cup final, we didn't." This wasn't anything more than the 6-pointers that Liverpool and City have had over the past 5-10 years.

I would much rather demolish Spurs and Chelsea over Liverpool from a rivalry perspective too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad