GWT: EPL - Matchweek 17

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Based on the clarifications this year it shouldn't be (even in UEFA) due to the deflection off Shaw's foot. Either way, a bounce up into the hand that's decently close to the side is basically never going to be given in the current EPL.
Thought it bounced off the ground, not his foot. Fair enough.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Great match today from Paqueta and Kudus. Paqueta with three assists, which were all basically through balls. Kudus scored two of them and Bowen one. Very direct and quick counter attacks ending with accurate finishes.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Dalot was correct. Wonder what Savant feels about the Dalot vs Darwin cards lol.

Darwin gets a yellow and proceeds to clap the ref and continue beeking.

Liverpool is so hard done by.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Legitimately pathetic officiating and Oliver should be stood down for multiple weeks for it.

It's a clear single yellow, but two within 10 seconds for being upset like that when he's let multiple players yell at him all game is inexcusable.
Oliver and Taylor always influence games, they are terrible officials for that. The officials should oversee the rules, not become so influential as to alter outcomes.

Reactions: hatterson

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Utd got what they came for. Hard to argue that score line

Dalot was correct. Wonder what Savant feels about the Dalot vs Darwin cards lol.

I think, if you compare the two, they are both reds or neither are reds. Including myself, no one that I was with thought Dalot should have seen red for that

In my opinion, Neither should be. I thought Darwin was going to get sent off for sure. Y’all won’t talk about me agreeing with that though

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Such a terrible game
LFC just completely brain dead today. Utd did nothing. Don’t think Utd were like well organized, don’t think they pressed well, don’t think they had a standout player. Just think LFC continuously pooped the bed.

Yea United basically had the one chance on the break, but otherwise didn't do anything except defend. Liverpool had a number of decent chances but nothing too amazing.
LFC had chances but zero composure. Doesn’t help that all of their forwards are ice cold right now. Don’t think we’ve gotten an open play goal from a forward in quite a few games now

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
I'll take a boring 0-0 after the last few years at Liverpool and missing players. Varane and Evans solid at the back. Mainoo looking composed as an 18 year old at Anfield, great pass for Garnacho.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

What does Dalot has anything to do with Darwin? Both got yellow for the same reason? As for Dalot, it was an useless red card, 93 minutes out of 94 minutes. It has nothing to do with Nunez or LFC but it's all between Dalot and Oliver. I am assuming Oliver did not like something he probably said to him.

That being said, how did Oliver favored LFC in any fashion? That game had no flavor, one team sitting deep and counter attacking while another side passing to TAA and being hopeful he can deliver some key passes. Overall awful display by both team but Manchester United can be the most satisfied in the circumstances surrounding that game.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
What does Dalot has anything to do with Darwin? Both got yellow for the same reason? As for Dalot, it was an useless red card, 93 minutes out of 94 minutes. It has nothing to do with Nunez or LFC but it's all between Dalot and Oliver. I am assuming Oliver did not like something he probably said to him.
Darwin committed a foul, yelled at the ref, got a yellow, then continue to beak at the ref and sarcastically clap. He got a single yellow.

Salah was pissed and gesticulated wildly similar to how Dalot did and then kicked the ball away. He did not receive a yellow.

Dalot was pissed off threw his arms twice and was walking away from the official and received two yellows in less than 10 seconds.

Throughout the game Oliver had not been consistently calling players for dissent and the he handed the same player two dissent yellows within seconds of each other.

Yes it's meaningless, but it still means Dalot misses a game. Oliver should absolutely be stood down for it because it wasn't a reasonable response to anything on the pitch except as a way to make himself the center of attention.

Reactions: Jussi

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Darwin committed a foul, yelled at the ref, got a yellow, then continue to beak at the ref and sarcastically clap. He got a single yellow.

Salah was pissed and gesticulated wildly similar to how Dalot did and then kicked the ball away. He did not receive a yellow.

Dalot was pissed off threw his arms twice and was walking away from the official and received two yellows in 10 seconds.

Throughout the game Oliver had not been consistently calling players for dissent and the he handed the same player two dissent yellows within seconds of each other.

Yes it's meaningless, but it still means Dalot misses a game. Oliver should absolutely be stood down for it because it wasn't a reasonable response to anything on the pitch except as a way to make himself the center of attention.
Again this happen EVERY game of football, premier league is probably the softest league regarding that, you cannot kick the ball after a foul for instance, they are very strict with how they handle 'dissent,. I certainly don't like these anthics by the players but that never warrant red cards (or two yellow) for dissent. (Including Dalot btw), but other than these 'situation' we cannot hear what is said to the referee. Maybe Dalot went beyond and told Oliver something unacceptable. Who knows?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Legitimately pathetic officiating and Oliver should be stood down for multiple weeks for it.

It's a clear single yellow, but two within 10 seconds for being upset like that when he's let multiple players yell at him all game is inexcusable.
The only way this was acceptable is if he had previously warned Dalot that the next time he complained would be a card.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Again this happen EVERY game of football. I certainly don't like these anthics but that never warrant red cards (or two yellow) for dissent. (Including Dalot btw), but other than these 'situation' we cannot hear what is said to the referee. Maybe Dalot went beyond and told Oliver something unacceptable. Who knows?
I'm not saying that Nunez should have got more. Salah is iffy simply due to the supposed crackdown on kicking the ball away this year.

My point about Dalot is that you could *maybe* understand it if Oliver had set a really tight bar for dissent through the game. But he didn't. He reffed the game as normal, perhaps even a little lax by this years standard on dissent. Then in the last minute of the game he messed up a throwin call and gave a player two yellows within seconds for being upset about it.

Reactions: al secord

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The only way this was acceptable is if he had previously warned Dalot that the next time he complained would be a card.
I still don't see how that justifies two separate yellows within seconds of each other.

Dalot's *entire* sequence of dissent was 5 seconds long.

The fact that VAR had to stop the restart of the game to try to ask Taylor wtf happened tells you all you need to know about how reasonable it was.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00