GWT: EPL - Matchweek 17

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Laughable to suggest that is a downgrade considering Havertz' track record, but you do you.

The narrative of whether Chelsea was more dysfunctional and more of a midtable club last year or this year seems to shift with every thread to benefit what narrative is preferred.
Why can't we just be dysfunctional in new and exciting ways!

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I don't understand how Maupay didn't get a second yellow in all of that either. If there was ever simulation in a match, it's what he did when Martinez walked by him there to start the entire thing. Then Emi and Emi things and went stupid.
Did you miss earlier? He was making a mockery of what Martinez did when he was shot after the near classic own goal

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Did you miss earlier? He was making a mockery of what Martinez did when he was shot on the near classic own goal
I actually did miss earlier. Although it doesn't remotely surprise me that he would do that since he's one of the biggest actors in all of football.

Sounds like it was just a poorly managed game overall for the last 20 minutes.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It is relevant when comparing Chelsea last season to Chelsea this season to be happy with a direct upgrade.

Shocked you didn't pick it up, given where Arsenal lived for much of the last decade!
Right, but different manager and different team, not to mention Palmer is feasting on penalties. And soft ones, too,

Oh no. If you're thinking 5th is midtable, you might never leave. Can't imagine finishing bottom half.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Was watching the Arsenal game but can't wait to see the highlights from Villa - Brentford.
Commentators said the FA will probably be fining both teams
Yea...I should have watched that game instead but I wasn't expecting craziness.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Laughable to suggest that is a downgrade considering Havertz' track record, but you do you.

The narrative of whether Chelsea was more dysfunctional and more of a midtable club last year or this year seems to shift with every thread to benefit what narrative is preferred.
Yeah that's fair. Looking at Palmer's stats compared to Havertz's over their careers and even in the academy Palmer never scored as many as Kai's 17 in the Bundesliga. So I guess which track record are you talking about?

It's actually possible to be a dysfunctional midtable club two years in a row.

Are we pretending Arsenal didn't finish 8th in back to back years lol
Is two years "much" of a decade now? If that's true, Chelsea is about to be a bottom half team for the better part of a decade

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
that was a wild last 10 minutes. all started with Mee getting himself sent off. Coote definitely lost control of the match at the end. both clubs will be getting fined. Martinez & Maupay brought all the afters to the forefront at the end

Reactions: al secord

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Is two years "much" of a decade now? If that's true, Chelsea is about to be a bottom half team for the better part of a decade
Are we expecting anything more than glibness on a message board

Seems like a you problem, esp given that this started out with a response to a very glib stat comparison screenshot

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah that's fair. Looking at Palmer's stats compared to Havertz's over their careers and even in the academy Palmer never scored as many as Kai's 17 in the Bundesliga. So I guess which track record are you talking about?

It's actually possible to be a dysfunctional midtable club two years in a row.
Havertz track record at Chelsea of 32 goals in 139 games while being the main goal scoring threat. He's in the 9th percentile among forwards for non-penalty goals, 38th percentile for expected goals, and 54th for shot creating actions in the top 5 leagues and continental competitions.

That is brutal performance for what was supposed to be an elite player.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Are we expecting anything more than glibness on a message board

Seems like a you problem, esp given that this started out with a response to a very glib stat comparison screenshot
I don't know, you and Blender have decided to get in your feels about Havertz scoring today, so I guess you are expecting more? This really started with me responding glibly to a stat comparison screenshot.
Havertz track record at Chelsea of 32 goals in 139 games while being the main goal scoring threat. He's in the 9th percentile among forwards for non-penalty goals, 38th percentile for expected goals, and 54th for shot creating actions in the top 5 leagues and continental competitions.

That is brutal performance for what was supposed to be an elite player.
Yeah, Chelsea misplayed him and he didn't look as good. Put Petr Cech in CM and I'm sure he wouldn't look good either.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I don't know, you and Blender have decided to get in your feels about Havertz scoring today, so I guess you are expecting more? This really started with me responding glibly to a stat comparison screenshot.
Lmao guy my response literally called it a win-win, I'm hunting for the feels and I can't find them

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah, Chelsea misplayed him and he didn't look as good. Put Petr Cech in CM and I'm sure he wouldn't look good either.
He played center forward, attacking midfielder, and out wide at various times and wasn't any different at any of those positions. "Main goal scoring threat" doesn't just mean number 9, it means he was the player we were expecting to get into open positions in the box. He didn't do that.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
He played center forward, attacking midfielder, and out wide at various times and wasn't any different at any of those positions. "Main goal scoring threat" doesn't just mean number 9, it means he was the player we were expecting to get into open positions in the box. He didn't do that.
cope

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Okay, the more important issue is that you were expecting a second striker to be your main scoring option. He's been fantastic at getting open for Arsenal. Just moving him around doesn't mean you're actually playing him correctly.
Lmao guy my response literally called it a win-win, I'm hunting for the feels and I can't find them
And yet here you are, all upset to hear Chelsea is midtable and continuing to post.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Okay, the more important issue is that you were expecting a second striker to be your main scoring option. He's been fantastic at getting open for Arsenal. Just moving him around doesn't mean you're actually playing him correctly.
He lead Bayer Leverkusen in scoring his last 2 seasons there which you just used as evidence of a good track record earlier. He was their main goal scoring threat, it was exactly as he was used.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Anywho, this could go all day

Kai gave us something Arsenal will never have, which is a UCL

I wish him well, am way more happy with Cole, and am also happy that Arsenal fans are happy with Havertz

Reactions: Blender

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
He lead Bayer Leverkusen in scoring his last 2 seasons there which you just used as evidence of a good track record earlier. He was their main goal scoring threat, it was exactly as he was used.
He led them in scoring but Volland was the main scoring threat.

Which goes to the point of Chelsea playing him long. If he's not the primary threat, he's fantastic at finding open pockets and taking advantage, but if he's the main guy to mark, he loses effectiveness. Chelsea played him all over and isolated him to be the main guy. What do you know, he wasn't as good.

I bet if he was in Chelsea's team now with more options around him, he would be looking a lot better. Of course, that's only now that we've rebuilt his confidence.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Uh, no. Volland and Alario played in a more advanced position but Havertz was the main threat running into space.
Uh yes. Volland and Alario combined for more goals for a reason. The striker position was the main threat. Havertz was the complimentary threat and that's what he does so well.

Which is why it was crazy to watch Chelsea do what they did. And that's why Arteta had to rebuild Havertz's confidence. Now that he has, he's scoring rapidly.

Again, just being the leading scorer doesn't mean that you're the main goal threat. No one would confuse Odegaard for Arsenal's main scoring threat and yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad