GWT: EPL - Matchweek 17 - Boxing Day

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I guess so but then I would argue why did they sit on him for so long and loan him out?
I mean, the short answer is that he's not as good as you think he is.

The long answer is that his best attribute is his attitude and his ability to stop penalties. The latter is not as useful in a club season and the former is less evident when you're not already the starter.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean, the short answer is that he's not as good as you think he is.

The long answer is that his best attribute is his attitude and his ability to stop penalties. The latter is not as useful in a club season and the former is less evident when you're not already the starter.
Better than the guys you had and have tho

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Picture doesn't do it justice though, he got his shot off no problem and dove big time when he shanked it.

Yeah disagree. He was put off balance/off stride. He was able to get to the ball, but "no problem" is about as big of a stretch as his shirt.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Yeah disagree. He was put off balance/off stride. He was able to get to the ball, but "no problem" is about as big of a stretch as his shirt.

He throws his arms out and goes to ground on his own. This has been a constant problem with him, when he feels contact he will never try and fight through it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He definitely tried to sell it, but it should've been the pen for the idiocy of a defender reaching in front and then pulling the shirt. There's ways to get away with something, but that isn't one of them, but I guess he did, so good for him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We've had 2 guys queued up at the sidelines for like 5 minutes now waiting for a change.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
He throws his arms out and goes to ground on his own. This has been a constant problem with him, when he feels contact he will never try and fight through it.
So what you're saying is that contact doesn't matter if the player is able to stay on his feet? Alternatively, when Bowen goes to ground because he's off balance and unable to finish his attack despite his ability to take a couple steps, does that count?

Like I said, I don't mind the penalty being given against Bowen because if you put a player off, I can see it being a penalty. It's just soft. And not called consistently.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
How is that remotely what he said lol
Well the clear contact didn't matter because he went to ground himself. The pull put him off balance/stride and affected Pulisic's ability to finish the play.

So clearly, if a player can stay on his feet and doesn't, that's the determinative factor.

That isn't what I said.
Not directly, but there's not really another conclusion. The whole point you made is that Pulisic could fight through contact and still make a play on the ball despite his balance and timing being off due to a clear foul. So if affecting someone's balance and timing isn't what matters, what does? The only thing I've seen you say as a reason it isn't a penalty is because he went to ground himself.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well the clear contact didn't matter because he went to ground himself. The pull put him off balance/stride and affected Pulisic's ability to finish the play.

So clearly, if a player can stay on his feet and doesn't, that's the determinative factor.

Not directly, but there's not really another conclusion. The whole point you made is that Pulisic could fight through contact and still make a play on the ball despite his balance and timing being off due to a clear foul.
The determining factor is if the contact is a foul and denies the goalscoring opportunity. If Pulisic doesn't immediately flail and throw himself when the contact is made, and instead pushes through, the goalscoring opportunity is not denied because the pull wasn't long or hard enough to be anything more than an inconvenience.

His balance and timing could equally be thrown off by a light shoulder-to-shoulder bump, and what isn't a penalty either. Players need to be strong on their feet and control their space.

Auba reeks and anyone could’ve told you that before Chelsea inexplicably signed him
Ridiculous signing. We bring him in to appease Tuchel right before we fire Tuchel.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
His balance and timing could equally be thrown off by a light shoulder-to-shoulder bump, and what isn't a penalty either. Players need to be strong on their feet and control their space.
But then the same can be said about Bowen. That's my point.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea that looks like a pen to me. There's a difference between a shirt pull and clipping a heel, but I think both should still be pens.

For some reason refs, especially PL refs, basically need you to go rugby on an attacking player if you're using your hands to give a pen, but clips of the legs are called much more significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad