GWT: EPL - Matchweek 16

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
see you then! Also not sure if you knew (or cared) but Dean Smith was watching the game(s) today at the Villa Supporters Club in NYC. He’s in the running for at least one MLS job so I guess that’s why he is in USA
Yep! Will be quite a fascinating match especially how the league is looking at that point and if either team has progressed far in Europe. RE: Smith, He got most Villa fans on board as "one of our own" which makes me less surprised that he would go out to watch with fans. Finalist for the Charlotte job (along with Lampard ha) and I think he is probably the best candidate out of the 4 supposed finalists. Plus his son plays for the Greenville USL team.

Anyone who's followed them more closely want to give the biggest takeaways on Villa's recent form?
We are really good at pressing and forcing mistakes from opposition defenders, the high line works extremely well (we've caught opposition offsides almost double the #2nd place team since Unai took over). Very well drilled and have been rotating as well. Home Form has been perfect, 15 wins on the spin. Emi Martinez makes outstanding saves. The summer transfer window was good as well - Pau Torres is absolute mint at playing the ball out from the back (i might even say he is the best in the world at doing it from center half). Midfield always plays well and we have the option of making it a 4 with Luiz, Kamara, McGinn & Tielemans.

Totally legit. One question is how they'll do in big games away - like Newcastle (although less starkly), their home from is so much better than their away form.
Getting Newcastle & Liverpool away out at the start of the season was huge.

Reactions: JoVel

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Yep! Will be quite a fascinating match especially how the league is looking at that point and if either team has progressed far in Europe. RE: Smith, He got most Villa fans on board as "one of our own" which makes me less surprised that he would go out to watch with fans. Finalist for the Charlotte job (along with Lampard ha) and I think he is probably the best candidate out of the 4 supposed finalists. Plus his son plays for the Greenville USL team.

We are really good at pressing and forcing mistakes from opposition defenders, the high line works extremely well (we've caught opposition offsides almost double the #2nd place team since Unai took over). Very well drilled and have been rotating as well. Home Form has been perfect, 15 wins on the spin. Emi Martinez makes outstanding saves. The summer transfer window was good as well - Pau Torres is absolute mint at playing the ball out from the back (i might even say he is the best in the world at doing it from center half). Midfield always plays well and we have the option of making it a 4 with Luiz, Kamara, McGinn & Tielemans.

Getting Newcastle & Liverpool away out at the start of the season was huge.
That's an insane stat

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Anyone who's followed them more closely want to give the biggest takeaways on Villa's recent form?

Villa are extremely well organized, the midfield has enough offensive quality even when their style avoids them barely making any mistakes at all. Martinez has been very good in goal.

At the moment, the only quaestionmark is, if either Martinez or Watkins gets a long term injury, would they be able to cope with that. But the same thing regarding key players could be said for number of other teams as well.

I still think City will win the title, but largely injury free Villa will finish in top4.

Reactions: JoVel

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
1702213974568.jpeg

Interesting.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He is always horrible per Chelsea supporter. I would say the whole team has been horrible not just him.
What a load of bullshit. He's been praised plenty on here when he has played well. He's paid like an elite player and is way too inconsistent to actually be one.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What a load of bullshit. He's been praised plenty on here when he has played well. He's paid like an elite player and is way too inconsistent to actually be one.
Maybe, I though he was considered for POTM. I always get the vibe that Chelsea supporters does not like him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Mudryk has been looking great this season, need to play more balls down the left to him.

Maybe, I though he was considered for POTM. I always get the vibe that Chelsea supporters does not like him.
He strung three pretty good games together with Tottenham, Manchester City, and Newcastle (team was shit for this one). He was decent against Brighton with his work rate but didn't contribute much to the attack. He was quite poor against Manchester United.

With the busy December schedule there is no reason they shouldn't rotate the squad a bit, it's not like he's so consistently great to be undroppable.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
No yellows for actual simulation but Palmer immediately gets back up and keeps playing and gets one
The way the ref was signaling, he popped back up acknowledging his dive which is why he was carded. So, if he dove and stayed down, there would have been no yellow lol. Gotta love English officiating these days lol.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Glad that went wide because that was an incredible volley by Harrison.

Looks like Colwill is coming on for James. James probably needs a leg amputation again.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You just can't include James in future squad planning, he's injured all the time.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Lots of possession from Chelsea and they are working the ball into the box pretty well, but zero end product.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
LOL of course Everton go up 1-0.

Colwill needs to close Doucoure down there, not just stand off him and try and block a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad