GWT: EPL - Matchweek 14

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
But a PK was never given, it was just confirmed to not be one. So play should've kept going as planned - which would've been a corner
from the goal rush I was watching, it showed the ref giving a pk and then it getting overturned

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea based on the official game cast, the referee gave a penalty live and VAR (correctly) sent him to the monitor to overturn it.

I think the issue was that the referee barely points to the spot live so basically no one knew he had given it live.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
huh, whaddya know.

Any ref who gives that as a pen live should be put out to pasture

Anyway, big 3 points. rare win at home, good resilience playing a full 45 down to 10. Prevented Brighton from really creating much.

Badiashile MOTM for me.

Slowly climbing the table, moved from 10th to 10th.

Reactions: gary69 and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
huh, whaddya know.

Anyway, big 3 points. rare win at home, good resilience playing a full 45 down to 10. Prevented Brighton from really creating much.

Badiashile MOTM for me.

Agree about Badiashile, he was great.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Just watching the review and the VAR pen award was atrocious.

It’s not that it’s a stonewall non-pen, but it’s very much not a clear and obvious error for a ref with a clear view of it live to say it’s not a pen.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That was a brilliant counter. Manchester City had forwards back trying to defend and got shredded.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
huh, whaddya know.

Badiashile MOTM for me.

From the angle, I can see how he thought it hit arm.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
From the angle, I can see how he thought it hit arm.
Yea live it looked iffy and obviously having the Brighton players go nuts about it helps convince the ref. It’s also a call the ref can feel free to make without much consequence since he knows if he’s wrong VAR will fix it for him.

Technically the better call would have been no pen and corner since that was if you’re wrong it goes to a pen and if you’re right the appropriate corner is awarded. Whereas calling it a pen live means that an overturn results in the weird situation there it’s a drop ball to Chelsea despite obviously deserving to be a corner.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Also, I don't want to hear another word against Klopp. This was never an issue with him as much as FSG has no idea how to run a club that needs to replace players sometimes.

#selltheteamyoucheapskates

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Btw I do think the Liverpool winner was a foul, but I also don’t think VAR should have initiated a review since I don’t think it’s a clear and obvious error to call it a routine bump of guys jumping for the ball in the box.

I agree. Unless that foul is called 100% of the time, you can't VAR that, I don't think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad