GWT: EPL - Matchweek 12

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Weird that he'd start, but whatever. As for Havertz, it's always possible he can turn the season around, but I gotta think he's returning to Germany in the summer, and that's why the reports of us going after Nkunku make sense. Maybe he just never felt settled in England and coming here was more of a move of convenience because of COVID, and not something he actually wanted?
I don't buy it. I think he genuinely enjoys being here. It's into year 3 and he hasn't complained once.

He gets along well with the team, seems like he's one of Mount's best friends.

Right mindset, but it just isn't working

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not just never more than three years, but he's only done more than 2 years at Juve.

3 years Juve, 2 years Italy, 2 years Chelsea, 2 years Inter, now he's in his second year at Spurs (albeit first was partial)

Based on his MO, it's unlikely he even stays next year.
For sure.

I mean he could, but it’s literally unprecedented

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Just caught up on the highlights, what a masterclass by United, was a joy to watch, really wanted to see that one live but was foiled by band practice

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Lol Ronaldo left the game early....
Genuinely f*** him. He needs to leave at this point. Cut him. He’s a huge negative on the field. I tried defending him a bit but @Evilo was right. The most energy he exerts in games is yelling at his teammates for not passing him the ball when he was clearly covered and there was no way to get him the ball without turning it over. He doesn’t press, he doesn’t track back, he doesn’t get into good positions, he rarely makes a forward pass, and now he can’t even finish.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
At least we didn't lose 3-0 :dunno:

Not going to worry yet. Only our second loss of the season and both of them were away to top 6 clubs.
Going to further this point...

75e15743e6ab6c944643a089a7d62666.png

None of the current top seven teams have won away against eachother. Only three draws over the eleven games too.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Genuinely f*** him. He needs to leave at this point. Cut him. He’s a huge negative on the field. I tried defending him a bit but @Evilo was right. The most energy he exerts in games is yelling at his teammates for not passing him the ball when he was clearly covered and there was no way to get him the ball without turning it over. He doesn’t press, he doesn’t track back, he doesn’t get into good positions, he rarely makes a forward pass, and now he can’t even finish.
He was a net positive last year mostly because the rest of the team was a tire fire anyway so having his raw goal scoring ability helped to offset some of that. But this season with something resembling a coherent team around him, he's definitely a net negative by a good amount.

Especially when you add that guys like Eriksen and Antony are able to drive offense as well so we're not stuck with Bruno being the sole person doing anything positive in the opposition half.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ronaldo doesn't care about anything except him scoring.
He's playing an individual sport.
Which is genuinely insane. Like he will have a bad game and get benched then the next game he looks good and you think oh maybe ETH has gotten through to him but then the cycle repeats except it gets longer between his good games.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Which is genuinely insane. Like he will have a bad game and get benched then the next game he looks good and you think oh maybe ETH has gotten through to him but then the cycle repeats except it gets longer between his good games.

He also seems to not understand he's getting old and he can't score like he used to anyway. Like dude you're almost 38 years old. You had one of the best careers ever but now you're old in a sports context. You won't even get an MLS team to make a bunch of trades to build their team around someone that old.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He also seems to not understand he's getting old and he can't score like he used to anyway. Like dude you're almost 38 years old. You had one of the best careers ever but now you're old in a sports context. You won't even get an MLS team to make a bunch of trades to build their team around someone that old.
I think the game yesterday could’ve been his first realization that we’re better without him. He’s stressed multiple times to ETH that he didn’t like his tactics etc, I’m sure because it didn’t suit him.

So what does an egomaniac do? Makes it all about him.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
TBH I wouldn't be surprised to see an MLS team offer him a bunch of money and redo their team to make it work.

It won't be a good idea from a performance perspective, but they'll likely be thinking of the kit sales they'll inevitably get.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I'm not sure how this is surprising. He's not a leader, probably never has been and his clubs have always been a means to a personal end. No wonder he's having a colossal meltdown the moment things aren't going exactly as he dictates.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm not sure how this is surprising. He's not a leader, probably never has been and his clubs have always been a means to a personal end. No wonder he's having a colossal meltdown the moment things aren't going exactly as he dictates.
I have no idea what him being a leader or not has to do with what I said. You don’t have to be a leader to not be an asshat.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Turned this on about five minutes ago and Bailey is having a nightmare. Immediately taken off after that last mistake lol.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Douglas Luiz just being a total idiot. You have to know when Mitrovic goes chest to chest there that his intentions aren't pure and he intends to dive.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
That’s a hideous red. Mitrovic conned that whole confrontation. That didn’t look like a huge forward movement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad