GWT: EPL - Matchweek 11

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Incredibly depressing.

Chelsea were shit. No point in making such tackles on Chelsea players when they have such poor end product. Romero and Udogie let the team down and should feel incredibly ashamed of themselves.

I'm happy with everybody else really. They did their absolute best. Showed good resolve. Especially Vicario.

The most depressing part is the injuries to Maddison and Van de Ven. The injury to Micky looked like it could be a very long one.

Spurs are only six points off sixth. And the next few games will be extremely ugly with all the injuries/suspensions. Which is why I think they will now struggle to qualify for the CL, but there's still plenty of time left I guess.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The game had everything.

- Chelsea with tactics that would make an amateur team upset.
- Udogie with an insanely stupid challenge that seemed to switch things.
- Romero trying his absolute best to get sent off and finally giving away a pen before doing it.
- Sterling absolutely bottling a 3 on 2 with zero back pressure but then getting completely bailed out by Udogie who got himself sent off.
- Chelsea unable to take advantage of Spurs playing a high line nearly at the half way mark for 30 straight minutes.
- Literally 10 minutes of offside VAR reviews.
- VAR seemingly being paid by the minute and really wanting a large paycheck.
- Vicario making a ton of A+ saves.
- Ball went in the net a total of 10 times with half to be waived off by a variety of things (offside, handball, etc.)
- Big injuries (Van de ven and Madison)

Edit: Oh and I forgot Son coming inches away from getting Spurs level at the end.
The Reece James VAR review too!

Reactions: hatterson

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Ange needs to learn to play a low block. Teams are too good to play a high line when you're 1 man down let alone 2. I like that he wants to play his football and it's nice to watch but you got to scrap out points on occasion and he seems too stubborn to change right now.

Poch should not be happy about that game either. Was second best until Spurs imploded and still struggled to expose the man advantage. Also gave Spurs chances to get something out of the game. 3 points is 3 points but they were very fortunate tonight.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Ange needs to learn to play a low block. Teams are too good to play a high line when you're 1 man down let alone 2. I like that he wants to play his football and it's nice to watch but you got to scrap out points on occasion and he seems too stubborn to change right now.

Poch should not be happy about that game either. Was second best until Spurs imploded and still struggled to expose the man advantage. Also gave Spurs chances to get something out of the game. 3 points is 3 points but they were very fortunate tonight.
It’s still early, but I recall a lot of questions being asked on the preseason if he’s be flexible enough to truly succeed at Spurs with a “my way of play come hell or high water” mentality. That can work great when you’re the best team in the league, but when you’re probably 4th best (at most) on talent, it’s harder to make that consistently work.

Obviously things can change, but will be interesting how things play out of Van De Ven misses extended time and Romero being out 3 games.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Ange needs to learn to play a low block. Teams are too good to play a high line when you're 1 man down let alone 2.
Most teams are, yes, but Chelsea? It was inspired from Ange

Yeah, seriously. Patecoglu is a moron playing nearly at the halfway line with nine men. All the “wow what great spirit by Tottenham” is nice, but that was objectively brain dead.
I saw someone say that the way people are talking about Spurs and their "spirit" after a 4-1 drubbing by crosstown rivals is confirmation they're a small team.

And they're right

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You did. I verrrry nearly turned it off after Tottenham was just having their way with Chelsea and then scored
Got pulled into some very annoying work shenanigans. Will catch the highlight’s I guess.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
If there was ever a side that wouldn’t have been able to break down a 9-man low block it was today’s Chelsea.

Reactions: Peen

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
don't think Spurs' high line is going anywhere soon, going off the post match presser. I respect it tbh.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What an insane game. Glad we managed to pull out a win here, it was a big one.

Hopefully the hattrick will be a huge confidence boost for Jackson, he's been bottling chances all season.

Conor Gallagher is the heart and soul of this club, another great game from him. Best offensive and defensive stats of any of our midfielders today, and watching his performance aligns with that. Absolute insanity that anyone wanted to sell him, he's been our best player.

Palmer was a steal of a buy. Some of the best business Chelsea have done lately.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4