GWT: EPL - Matchweek 10

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Had to watch the Arsenal game later in the day due to some Thanksgiving stuff. An amazing 3 points, everyone played well, and the Emirates is bumping in a way it hasn't in years.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Henderson the racist. Will be gone for a while I except

Ok let's wildly speculate with no proof two can play that game. Arteta said what was said on the pitch should stay there so it's obviously not racism or he surely would have said so. Hopefully Henderson called Partey a rapist because he is and everyone knows it and they let him play anyway. How about that

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
That Arsenal game a good example of why the Prem really needs two on-field refs. Most leagues do tbh but the intensity of the Prem makes it really obvious for me that you need two, one on each half. They can afford it.

Anyways great game and happy for Arsenal but particularly enjoyed how frustrated Liverpool were. I still think Arsenal can improve immensely with a better holding midfield, they don't have much blocking the defence outside of Partey.

King Makar19

Dec 5, 2019
WIs8qVW.jpg

Reactions: Brunkmeister

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Don't care tbh. Unlike some people here I don't really care or get mad when I'm wrong.

But clearly I do get annoyed when people speculate about something that certainly isn't true so there's that.

It was bound to happen and still Klopp decided to start Alexander-Arnold. Maybe he’ll learn something from it so that’s good for you.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Alexander-Arnold is a problem but not the main problem. The problem is that we now have no RCM who can run and cover in defense for him. The team was great when that was happening, that's how it should have been all along. It's exactly what every supporter said all summer but everyone at the club would rather be negligent and stick their fingers in their ears and write some books about how good a job they do. We didn't win the title in large part because we had no midfielder who can score and that's been a problem for years. Now everyone says we need a midfielder and at the same time our players get older and start losing their legs. So do they sign a midfielder? Of course not. Instead they sign a frequently injured guy on loan who nobody ever wanted, of course now he's out until February or something. Every single Liverpool supporter has complained about the team not spending money on players and said this was bound to happen.

I'm not worried about Alexander-Arnold. I'm worried that everyone sees the team got worse in the summer and somehow thought that was the time to not spend any money and I'm worried someone has their head in their ass and might keep doing that. It's completely disappointing. We sell our backup RB and sign a kid from Aberdeen who isn't anywhere near as good. You might see how this all of a sudden becomes a huge problem because this kid also has never been fit. We sell Mane for Nunez, short term downgrade for long term gain but the team gets worse right now. They let Origi and Minamino leave and we get a kid from Fulham out of that.

I could repeat the same things every week but it isn't worth the trouble. I said after the first match we wouldn't win anything. I said after the second match that everyone at the club needed a reality check. I think in some ways this start is worse than I expected but I also think it's deserved. Again you cannot get worse during a summer and expect that somehow the point total will also be only a little worse. Every single player in that dressing room knows the team they started the season with was worse.

You need to bring in players if you want to win. That's just a fact. Spare me if anyone has some bullshit example of some team from the past who won while not bringing in a single midfielder under 30 years old for three years even though two or three of their players might as well die every season. I don't want to hear it. Everyone who thinks Klopp was a miracle worker and that's why the team won, they're wrong. It's the players who spent all their energy every day and gave up their whole career for the shirt, and now they can't do that anymore and look what happened. I still think we can do well in the CL because we've nearly navigated the dangerous part and there's a whole transfer window before the next round but LOL maybe with these owners we still won't sign anyone and pretend to be poor.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The behaviour of TAA in the Napoli game is not concerning.
It's MUCH MORE than that.
Has Liverpool other problems? Sure. But as long as he has immunity, nothing will get better at Liverpool. He can suck as much as he wants, he can not even FAINT to try, he's still first name on the starting lineup and Klopp says he's responsible for his defensive lack of effort and awareness.
Many of us have pointed to his lack of defensive IQ, general lazyness on the pitch for anything not offense. But it gets to a point where his defense outweighs his offense.
Liverpool has to STOP ignoring this issue.
This right here is not even amateur level defending :

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It’s been like that for years but Henderson always runs back to tackle. Except now he’s not young anymore and he can’t run as much.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
There’s two separate issues with TAA.

1.) his lack of defensive skill/awareness. That was on display on Arsenal’s 2nd goal where he rushed over to try to be the hero for the tackle instead of staying in his lane which left acres of space when the attacker cut back inside.

You can coach/train that a bit, but ultimately it’s something that’s really hard to develop if a player doesn't have. Liverpool used to cover/minimize a lot of that by having a very mobile midfield, CBs, and LB so that either a midfielder could drop back to cover, a mobile CB could range over to cover, or the LB could basically play a more LCB role for a bit and let one of the CBs move more towards an RCB role. Basically when possible, they shifted so the right half of their defense looked a lot more like a back 5 with TAA at RWB instead of a back 4 with him at RB.

As we saw yesterday, Henderson/Thiago in 2022 is not a remotely mobile midfield, Tsimikas was providing very little defensive shape, and the CBs were far less mobile as well, in part because the midfield wasn’t able to drop as much meaning they had to stay more central, and in part because it looks like VVD has lost a step this year.

2.) His lack of defensive effort. This has come and gone over the years, but it was in full force in the Napoli game and at times yesterday. It’s this that would be the real concern if I’m someone like Southgate and should be a bigger concern than Klopp seems to be making of it.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The fact nobody who played in the game made a big deal of his comment means it’s likely complete nonsense. I really do think he said something about Partey.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The fact nobody who played in the game made a big deal of his comment means it’s likely complete nonsense. I really do think he said something about Partey.
Gabriel was upset at the time, but I agree it didn’t seem like a “you called me a racist word” mad. Also from everything I’ve heard Henderson has been really solid during the Say No To Racism campaign so it would be extra odd to be something like that with him.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Gabriel looked pretty upset every time the camera showed him. Claiming racism seems like a stretch

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I mean this board speculates all the time so Henderson is a racist for now just like Partey is a rapist for now. Guilty until proven innocent.

I remember the discussion a while back about Liverpool needing a rebuild but most of the fans here actually thought everything will be ok. Didn't imagine they would fall this hard though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad